Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD antenna reception?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   BobH

BobH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 03:54 AM

I have an HD receiver (Samsung) but am having trouble getting stations reliably with my antenna (standard mast type).

Is this the place to ask these questions?

If so, I get good reception of 8 stations (in Phoenix) when the antenna is in an upstairs bedroom. I put it in the attic directly above the room and I only get one station good and one poorly. Not only does that make no sense, it is rather impractical. (Putting in on the roof means ugly and lightning rod and dangerous climb.)

Anyone with experience in this? Are the joists and other metal in the attic causing interference? What can I do?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   DougR

DougR

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
Putting in on the roof means ugly

To me it's a Work of Art !! Posted Image

I grew up with Antenna's all over the neighborhood! (in fact it was a "Status Symbol" to see an Antenna on someones roof)! That was before the Greedy Cable Companies started to come in and offer more channels , and the rest is History !! Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   BobH

BobH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 04:47 PM

I just ordered (from a sponsor site, AntennasDirect) a new antenna that is specific to HDTV. In other words, a high gain (13.7dB)UHF antenna (DB4). I hope it's not a hoax. The antenna I am using is a Home Depot combination VHF/UHF with no mention of gain.

Is gain the right measure? Anybody else try these? Anybody successful?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 09 2005 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
I just ordered (from a sponsor site, AntennasDirect) a new antenna that is specific to HDTV.
There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. You just picked up a high gain UHF antenna. Some locations have HD being broadcast in the VHF band so that "HDTV specific" antenna won't work. Have you checked AntennaWeb to find out the antenna size/type that you need?

Quote:
Are the joists and other metal in the attic causing interference?
There's a good chance that is happening.

Quote:
What can I do?
Check AntennaWeb. Get their recommended antenna. If it doesn't work in the attic, mount it on your roof and be proud.

-Robert

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   BobH

BobH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 04:19 PM

Sorry, sloppy writing. I should have said a high gain UHF multidirectional antenna (not HDTV).

Yes, AntennaWeb tells me that I need UHF with one red, four blue, and five violet antenna types. Clearly I need lots of gain. I guess the size of your (antenna) matters.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:22 PM

There is no such thing as a high gain multidirectional antenna. Antennas obtain gain from a high front to back ratio, which makes them by nature directional. Regarding your difference in signal reception between the bedroom mount and the attic mount, such suggestions:

1. longer run of coax for attic mount. Make sure you use good RG-06 coax. Also make sure F-connectors are seated properly terminating the cable.

2. Something in attic causing signal reflection or roof material doing the same thing.

3. Possibly in bedroom antenna obtaining signals via the window instead of through a shingle roof or insulation using foil backing.

4. Outside mounting of antenna is best, even though the lighting issue becomes more of a problem.

5. New antenna will probably not perform as well as old antenna, especially if your stations are using VHF band.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow