What's new

HD antenna reception? (1 Viewer)

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HD receiver (Samsung) but am having trouble getting stations reliably with my antenna (standard mast type).

Is this the place to ask these questions?

If so, I get good reception of 8 stations (in Phoenix) when the antenna is in an upstairs bedroom. I put it in the attic directly above the room and I only get one station good and one poorly. Not only does that make no sense, it is rather impractical. (Putting in on the roof means ugly and lightning rod and dangerous climb.)

Anyone with experience in this? Are the joists and other metal in the attic causing interference? What can I do?

DougR

Second Unit

To me it's a Work of Art !! :D

I grew up with Antenna's all over the neighborhood! (in fact it was a "Status Symbol" to see an Antenna on someones roof)! That was before the Greedy Cable Companies started to come in and offer more channels , and the rest is History !!

:D

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered (from a sponsor site, AntennasDirect) a new antenna that is specific to HDTV. In other words, a high gain (13.7dB)UHF antenna (DB4). I hope it's not a hoax. The antenna I am using is a Home Depot combination VHF/UHF with no mention of gain.

Is gain the right measure? Anybody else try these? Anybody successful?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Check AntennaWeb. Get their recommended antenna. If it doesn't work in the attic, mount it on your roof and be proud.

-Robert

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, sloppy writing. I should have said a high gain UHF multidirectional antenna (not HDTV).

Yes, AntennaWeb tells me that I need UHF with one red, four blue, and five violet antenna types. Clearly I need lots of gain. I guess the size of your (antenna) matters.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
There is no such thing as a high gain multidirectional antenna. Antennas obtain gain from a high front to back ratio, which makes them by nature directional. Regarding your difference in signal reception between the bedroom mount and the attic mount, such suggestions:

1. longer run of coax for attic mount. Make sure you use good RG-06 coax. Also make sure F-connectors are seated properly terminating the cable.

2. Something in attic causing signal reflection or roof material doing the same thing.

3. Possibly in bedroom antenna obtaining signals via the window instead of through a shingle roof or insulation using foil backing.

4. Outside mounting of antenna is best, even though the lighting issue becomes more of a problem.

5. New antenna will probably not perform as well as old antenna, especially if your stations are using VHF band.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks