Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

With "Dallas" on DVD, why not the one that began it all: "PEYTON PLACE"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#41 of 423 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,446 posts

Posted January 25 2011 - 08:02 PM

Larry Hagman also stated in that article that J.R. will begin the show having been in the looney bin for a while; practically catatonic. But it won't last long. I have no idea, really, if this pilot is going to series or not. A lot of the older characters are listed there, but I don't think a lot of the original cast will be back, besides the ones you mention. I heard Charlene Tilton isn't interested, for example, but anything can change down the road. The older characters probably aren't that crucial anyway--it's got to be about the younger characters anyway.

#42 of 423 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 10:00 AM

I am not sure you can re-make Dallas, because of the premise just won't work in today's new reality. JR was always try scam/blackmail, etc. In today's SOX, Corporate Governance, ethics the show could not thrive. Plus, i am believer you can not go back and i think you let this show lay in re-run. I have all Dallas episodes on dvds with the exception of the movies. It is kind of ironic that the whole barnes ewing fued started the show and in the last episode you see Cliff Barnes as the president of Ewing Oil. I do not count the episode were JR sees what it would be life without him.  

#43 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 11:26 AM

Ethan you are correct about the focus being on the next generation.  I did read that if it sells that JR and Sue Ellen and Bobby roles might be beefed up.  I think it would of been much better if Victoria Principle had signed on as well.  Pam and Bobby reuinited would hook in many of the old fans.  Larry did say that he would love to work with all the old cast if possible.  The list of names are a lot to recast.   Paul I get your point as well.  I thought the very same thing. I also read the next generation Ewings has a lot of big names interested in the parts. I too have the whole series and await the movies.   The whole thing is ironic.  Larry Hagman stated this in an interview.  He stated "Dallas was not first night time soap Peyton Place was the first".  Peyton Place leaves the air in 1969.  Like Dallas the show had a cast reunion.  The show also had two movies based on the show.  The cool part they even reinvented Peyton Place like Dallas is doing. Peyton Place even retained 3 actors from the nightime show.  The show "Return To Peyton Place" a daytime soap based on the nightime series lasted 2 years   The other irony about Peyton Place and Dallas is this.  Peyton Place the Next Generation the last movie had just about the same premise as Dallas. The last cool thing is Peyton Place designed the movie as a pilot for a new night time series.     The last thing is the Peyton Place producers brought the show back because of the success of Dallas!!!  The Producers even tried to snag Ryan O'Neal for the project but he declined.     Ryan O'Neal when asked about Peyton Place has always claimed it was a fun experence.    I still think Peyton Place would be a great fit for the Oprah Winfrey Network.  OWN could air 1 hour episodes each day instead of some of their movies.    Peyton Place was an important part of the american tv landscape during the turbulent 1960s.   The show deserves to be aired again and back on Home Video.  

#44 of 423 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thanks, Mark!   I am Dallas fan through and through, but, i am not big on re-makes. The networks have tried bionic woman, Knight rider, Hawaii Five-O, etc and have not had a great deal of success.   Dallas had a following and those people would be in their 55-80 now. Dallas could not be Dallas if you did not have the proper person casted as Miss Ellie and JR Ewing. I think Pam Ewing and Bobby Ewing were also key to the show. I also heard that it was getting expensive to produce Dallas near the end of its run. Plus, you had a season, which was dream. I am tempted to watch JR Ewing shooting this week, because it was at the time was one top rated cliff hangers. However, you argue there were quite a few cliff hangers with the show and that is what make so good early on. I got into Dallas, because i had a crush on Vicky Principal and i like the scheming, etc.   I wish new reincarnation luck, but, i doubt i will watch new show.

#45 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 27 2011 - 05:39 PM

New Dallas Producers Hire Victoria Principle!  Paul she still looks great. I saw her in one of those info things just a few days ago. Victoria looked great!!  I thought Victoria had a relationship with one of the Bee Gee's during her time on  Dallas.   Bobby and Pam were the heart of that show.  Jr and his dealings  Sue Ellen always fun to watch. I think Sue Ellen was my favorite character on Dallas. 

I think on the Petyton Place new pilot they should have gotten Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow for a guest shot.  Barbara Parkins received the most money to come back 1 million dollars.  I think Betty was my most favortie character on Peyton Place.  I thought it was very much Dallas with John Beck playing the villian.  He wa departing from Dallas but not to happy about it I read.  The music too in the Peyton Place Next Generation sounded very much if not by the background composer for Dallas that season.

The British thread is still talking about Peyton Place.  Peyton Place fans take a look. 

Thankyou Stuart for the link!!!

http://www.zetaminor...oming-in-May-R1

OWN NETWORK CHIEFS TAKE A LOOK AT PEYTON PLACE VIA THE DVD'S.  PEYTON PLACE WOULD FIT SO WELL ON YOUR NETWORK SCHEDULE.

#46 of 423 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,446 posts

Posted January 27 2011 - 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger1968 /forum/thread/201798/with-dallas-on-dvd-why-not-the-one-that-began-it-all-peyton-place/30#post_3775505 Thanks, Mark!   I am Dallas fan through and through, but, i am not big on re-makes. The networks have tried bionic woman, Knight rider, Hawaii Five-O, etc and have not had a great deal of success.   Dallas had a following and those people would be in their 55-80 now. Dallas could not be Dallas if you did not have the proper person casted as Miss Ellie and JR Ewing. I think Pam Ewing and Bobby Ewing were also key to the show. I also heard that it was getting expensive to produce Dallas near the end of its run. Plus, you had a season, which was dream. I am tempted to watch JR Ewing shooting this week, because it was at the time was one top rated cliff hangers. However, you argue there were quite a few cliff hangers with the show and that is what make so good early on. I got into Dallas, because i had a crush on Vicky Principal and i like the scheming, etc.   I wish new reincarnation luck, but, i doubt i will watch new show.
I think a lot of older viewers will tune into (at least), the pilot just out of curiosity. But the novelty of a J.R./Sue Ellen/Bobby reunion will run thin very quickly. They are in their 70s now, and you can't just have them running around and bed-hopping. It can't be the same old thing. They'd have to take a back seat to the younger cast. And if that younger cast is compelling enough, the show just might last a while. 90210 did it. (That's actually the only example I can think of--of a reinvented show making a successful run lol).   They might recapture some of the same moods as the old show, they might lure in new viewers, but it can't just be a continuation of all the old fogies going at it yet again. It's got to be an entirely new show, but have just enough of the old characters in there to please the older viewers. If they can somehow manage to do both, everybody will win.

#47 of 423 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted January 30 2011 - 05:04 PM

Victoria Principal was dating Andy Gibb in the 1980s. Andy Gibb suffered from drugs and his relationship ended with Victoria Principal.   I like Dallas, but, the last few years it started to deteriorate, especially after Vicky Principal left. I was not a big fan on the edition of Sasha Mitchell, Cathy Podewell, etc. It did have a good run and i like to watch an episode from time to time, because of the JR's scheming. I have been business for 20 years and it is good to show to watch on how companies try to scheme to get what they want.   It is hard to believe that Dallas is over 33 years old now. I remember the show first airing along with the "Who shot JR" episode being highly ranked and Ronal Reagan delaying his speach until after the episode aired. We live in a different time, but, the show still has following around the globe. I believe in the mid to late 1990s it was on the TNN.   The new series looks interesting, especially re-igniting the old cast to kick off the show. However, they will need to create their identity, especially with a new younger generation. The generation that grew up on dallas will be from 40-70s years of age now.

#48 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 07:15 PM

The New Dallas Casting News from today.   Josh Henderson to play John Ross Ewing in TNT Dallas pilot February 2nd, 2011 Exclusive – Josh Henderson will play the role of John Ross Ewing in the TNT Dallas pilot. Josh Henderson was born in Dallas, Texas in 1981, graduating from Tulsa Memorial Senior High School in May 2000. Previous TV work includes 90210 and Desperate Housewives. Josh will join Jordana Brewster, Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy in the Dallas pilot which starts production next monthJordana Brewster in new Dallas as Elena Ramos   January 30th, 2011 Jordana Brewster is tipped to take on the role of Elena Ramos in the new Dallas pilot by TNT Elena is the love interest of John Ross Ewing and the daughter of the Ewing cook. She has a history with both John Ross and his cousin Christopher Ewing. Her character is described as ‘a proud, beautiful woman with a whirring Swiss timepiece for a mind’. Jordana Brewster (born April 26, 1980) is an American – Brazilian actress. She began her acting career with an appearance in the soap opera All My Children (1995). After that, she joined the cast of As the World Turns (1995–2001), as a recurring role, Nikki Munson. She was later cast as one of the main characters in her first film feature film The Faculty (1998). Her role brought her to the attention of a much wider audience. She also landed a starring role in a NBC television miniseries entitled The 60s (1999).   February 1st, 2011  Michael Robin, Executive producer and director on The Closer will direct the TNT Dallas pilot. Michael M. Robin is an American television producer and director, most notable for his work as an executive producer on the FX series, Nip/Tuck where he is also a frequent director. Robin is also currently an executive producer/director on the TNT series, The Closer. Previously, Robin was a producer/director on several notable television series including NYPD Blue, Popular, Kingpin, C-16:FBI, MDs, Trust Me and Rizzoli & Isles. Along with Greer Shephard, Robin created the Shephard/Robin production company which produces the Ryan Murphy-created Nip/Tuck and Popular. I looked at my old Dallas Reuinon DVd and the clips were good. Just like Paul said the show went down hill when Victoria left.  I heard the which slut will you sleep with tonight JR line. The line drug out at each media Dallas attention.  The line now is lost it's punch.  I hope the new show packs one.   I like the line in Peyton Place when Martin Peyton to a packed courtroom in a "Perry Mason" moment state's "The name of this County is Peyton the name of this town is Peyton the name of the mill that supports this town is Peyton. THIS IS A PEYTON WORLD!!!   Now that is good writing. MPI talk with Fox see if you can get Peyton Place back on home video.

#49 of 423 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 03 2011 - 03:37 AM

You should interesting how the pilot is accepted, especially by the younger audience. Dallas had a great following during run, especially with the demographics 35-55 range. I do not think the show appeal to 15-28 years old range. I was in highschool when dallas hit its peak and no one was really talking about that show. The shows that most popular in HS were A-Team, Magnum PI, Family Ties, Married with Children, Three's Company and of course much music/rock video shows.   I may check out the pilot to see what the direction of show ill be, but, it is very doubtful at this time that i am very interested in a reincarnation of Dallas. I have mentioned before that i have all the seasons of Dallas on dvd and prefer to watch an episode here and there at times. It really just depends on my mood to what i will want to watch on any given night.

#50 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 08 2011 - 11:35 AM

Dallas pilot remains on schedule for March shooting date.  The Peyton Place Fans propose anything posible to get the show back on home video.   Shouth  specifics ? how many did they sell ? and how many did Shout want/need them to sell ?   Brian how much more money are we talking about? Shoot, we can have fundraisers and raise the needed money for licensing.  I think there's enough of an interest in Peyton Place for this to  happen.   All of the bloggers on this site alone can hold fundraising events.  How MUCH are we talking about.  We can't have a little thing like money stop us from completing our Peyton Place library.  We could have a huge fundraising event.  PP is worth it.  Get back to us Brian ASAP and let's get this thing moving.  Let's not be defeated. We live in America where ALL things are possible!  COME ON!   LET'S GO!!!   Helen, I am right there with ya!!!!!!  Please don't leave the legion of Peyton Place fans hanging!!!!!!!!!!!     1/3/2011 3:10 PM Brian, is this a lost cause? Just say it, is it very unlikely that we will see another Shout! PP release?     Peyton Place Fans I think emailing MPI  and Fox studios might help.  Shout is no longer interested in this series.

#51 of 423 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted February 08 2011 - 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Collins /forum/thread/201798/with-dallas-on-dvd-why-not-the-one-that-began-it-all-peyton-place/30#post_3779579 Dallas pilot remains on schedule for March shooting date.  The Peyton Place Fans propose anything posible to get the show back on home video.   Shouth  specifics ? how many did they sell ? and how many did Shout want/need them to sell ?   Brian how much more money are we talking about? Shoot, we can have fundraisers and raise the needed money for licensing.  I think there's enough of an interest in Peyton Place for this to  happen.   All of the bloggers on this site alone can hold fundraising events.  How MUCH are we talking about.  We can't have a little thing like money stop us from completing our Peyton Place library.  We could have a huge fundraising event.  PP is worth it.  Get back to us Brian ASAP and let's get this thing moving.  Let's not be defeated. We live in America where ALL things are possible!  COME ON!   LET'S GO!!!   Helen, I am right there with ya!!!!!!  Please don't leave the legion of Peyton Place fans hanging!!!!!!!!!!!     1/3/2011 3:10 PM Brian, is this a lost cause? Just say it, is it very unlikely that we will see another Shout! PP release?     Peyton Place Fans I think emailing MPI  and Fox studios might help.  Shout is no longer interested in this series.
That is flat out not true. Shout IS interested in doing the show, but Fox is asking too much for the rights. I know we all want more Peyton Place, but the issue lies with Fox and what they are demanding for the rights. Clearly, Fox has no intention of ever releasing the show on their own, but they also do not want other companies making money off their product, so they are jacking up the rights prices so they will make money, but the distributor will not because the rate of sale would never make up the difference.   The passion you have is great, but get your facts straight.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#52 of 423 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,446 posts

Posted February 08 2011 - 01:26 PM

The fact that they're shooting a pilot for a new "Dallas" has nothing to do with getting Peyton Place on dvd. It's not a competition!   If we want PP back on dvd, we should be writing to Fox and asking them to distribute it as MODs. They're probably watching for Warner's sales figures and seeing if that's the place that tv-on-dvd is heading. And if they think they can make a little money doing PP as MODs, then naturally they'd deny Shout the ability to put it out themselves--they're cutting out the middleman. But that's just my theory. I don't know what Fox is thinking. But I do know that they hold the keys to the kingdom and they're the ones we need to ask.

#53 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 08 2011 - 01:33 PM

Dallas going full steam ahead with more info to come on actors Southfork filming and plot lines.

Ethan Fox indeed holds the keys. 

Matt sorry to say I know you speak for many fans.  The key word was not more but less Shout wanted to pay if they even did. Mr Mac told us this back in November when I asked below question.  I say rather then complaining about Fox why not contact the below emails.

Here are the email address for other distributers.

Time Life Customer Care <TLCSMail@custhelp.com>  http://www.mpihomevi...pihomevideo.com
http://www.foxconnect.com/

My Question to Mr Mac

Cliff is there any chance we could ever see the Peyton Place TV Reuinon Movies. " Peyton Place Next Generation"  "Murder in Peyton Place"  and the much wanted "Peyton Place Revisited" from The late night series ABC Wide World of Entertainment 

I doubt it the series DVD did not sell well.   From Mr Cliif Mac Aquistions of Shout Factory.

#54 of 423 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,920 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'm excited about the Dallas sequel series, though I wish Victoria Principal were brought back as Pam- the original show was never the same after she left.  If possible, I think a Peyton Place sequel series could be done too- if only Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow were to agree to be in it!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#55 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 11:02 AM

Two more actors for the New Dallas   Jesse Metcalfe cast as Christopher Ewing in Dallas TNT pilot February 10th, 2011 Jesse Metcalfe will play Bobby and Pam’s adoptive son Christopher Ewing in the TNT pilot.   Jesse famed for his role in Desperate Housewives will play the volatile Christopher, who battle it out with Josh Henderson’s John Ross. For those of you who don’t know, Christopher’s real mother is Kristen Sheperd who famously shot JR. Meanwhile Julie Gonzalo will play the role of Rebecca Sutter, who engaged to Jesse’s Christopher Ewing.   Julie is is an Argentine-American actress. She is perhaps best known for her roles as Parker Lee in Veronica Mars, Shelby in A Cinderella Story and Maggie Dekker in Eli Stone. She has been in two movies with Chad Michael Murray: Freaky Friday (2003) and A Cinderella Story (2004). She also starred in two movies with Jamie Lee Curtis: Freaky Friday (2003) and Christmas with the Kranks (2004). She also guest-starred in the pilot episode of Drake and Josh. Gonzalo has been cast in the lead of NBC’s upcoming Day One   I like Charles think Victoria Principal should be in the cast.  The old cast parts will be small so why not Dallas producers???   Peyton Place would be a good fit for a OWN the Oprah Winfrey Network.  The airing of the show could be in place of the old movies which currently air on OWN. 

#56 of 423 OFFLINE   Tom_Tagliente19

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted February 14 2011 - 07:00 PM

Remaking DALLAS just proves that there are no new ideas coming out of Hollywood anymore. We got a reboot of 90210 and Melrose Place (which sucked), and now a new DALLAS? Rather than dull the shine of the classics with lackluster and horribly acted remakes, why not write an original idea and market it and release it? DALLAS ended with a bang. BEVERLY HILLS 90210 ended with a wedding and MELROSE PLACE ended with Amanda and Peter walking off into the island sunset after escaping the authorities. These stories were already told!   We don't need a DALLAS remake. AT ALL! Been there, DONE THAT!

#57 of 423 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tagliente19 /forum/thread/201798/with-dallas-on-dvd-why-not-the-one-that-began-it-all-peyton-place/30#post_3781414 Remaking DALLAS just proves that there are no new ideas coming out of Hollywood anymore. We got a reboot of 90210 and Melrose Place (which sucked), and now a new DALLAS? Rather than dull the shine of the classics with lackluster and horribly acted remakes, why not write an original idea and market it and release it? DALLAS ended with a bang. BEVERLY HILLS 90210 ended with a wedding and MELROSE PLACE ended with Amanda and Peter walking off into the island sunset after escaping the authorities. These stories were already told!   We don't need a DALLAS remake. AT ALL! Been there, DONE THAT!
  You can add Charlie's angels to list now. I am just glad for DVDs because i can watch the old shows without any commericals and/or interruptions.   Does hollywood not get it? Knight Rider remake (brutal), Bionic Woman (Brutal), Hawaii Five-O (ok, but, not great), La Femme Nikita (bad), etc. Should we be surprised with the outcome of the shows. Where is the originality? You tell me after 50+ years of tv there are no new ideas. Each decade had its own issues, so i am not sure why tv can not play to these trends.  

#58 of 423 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 07:19 PM

Dallas Producers fine tune pilot for filming. Get Victoria Principal during this fine tune of pilot. The producers would hook old fans back to see Bobby and Pam back together again. New viewers just to see what caused Dallas to be such a tv ratings hit of the 1980s. Peyton Place did resolve the Allison Rod Betty and Steve storyline in Return to Peyton Place the NBC soap when it left the air.  I believe it was Sue Ellen or Cake who told us this.  Rod divorced Betty when he found out his son was Steve's and he and Allison were to marry.  The Joker in the deck of course was Martin Peyton who faked his death and was still alive and hoped to stop Allison and Rod. I still say yes email Fox to release the series to MPI.  I would prefer that to MOD but of course would take the show which ever way we can get it.

#59 of 423 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted February 16 2011 - 06:09 PM

The new DALLAS isn't a remake, it's a continuation - a logical one at that. It's The Ewing family today.   It's just like if they wanted to show us whats happening in Peyton Place in 2011. 

#60 of 423 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 16 2011 - 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson /forum/thread/201798/with-dallas-on-dvd-why-not-the-one-that-began-it-all-peyton-place/60#post_3782069 The new DALLAS isn't a remake, it's a continuation - a logical one at that. It's The Ewing family today.   It's just like if they wanted to show us whats happening in Peyton Place in 2011. 
  If the premise is Ewing today then it would mean that John Ross would be in his early 30s and christopher would close to 30. JR Ewing would be in his 70s and bobby would in his 60s. The problem with the continuation is that there was a serious of movies that was done after the last episode and i am just not sure how those will be pooled together with the new dallas.   Dallas was good at its peak, but, i am not sure doing a reincarnation will have the audience. I have all the season of dallas on dvd and watch an episode from time to time. However, it was different era when Dallas was on tv. There were three nightime soaps: 1. Dallas 2. Knots Landing 3. Dynasty on a the time.   So, if you fast forward to 2011 then you will see corporate governance, high oil prices and renewable energy are the talk now. So, you will need to embodied this into the plot lines. So how will the scheming work in today's political correct society? That is the question that need to be answered.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users