What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (2 Viewers)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Warner Bros. has had a great success with "Dallas" on DVD, and with the recent so-called "Dynasty" docudrama, people are again looking at the classic primetime soaps of the past. Soapnet is about to add 90210 to its lineup, and of course we all know about that current show on Sunday nights on ABC.
However, some people seem to have forgotten that exactly 40 years ago the Alphabet Network had a primetime soap that also became an instant smash: the grandaddy of primetime soaps, Peyton Place! For 5 years (and 514 episodes!) millions watched the saga of life in that notorious small town that was truly the spiritual ancestor to Desperate Housewives, led by a truly memorable cast that had a mixture of Hollywood veterans (Dorothy Malone, George Macready, Ruth Warrick, Leslie Nielsen, Kent Smith, Barbara Rush), New York-based actors on the rise (Lee Grant, Ruby Dee, Gena Rowlands) and hot newcomers who became household names (Ryan O'Neal, Mia Farrow, Barbara Parkins, Leigh Taylor-Young, Mariette Hartley, Christopher Connelly).
The folks on Wisteria Lane owe a lot to characters like the virginal Allison McKenzie, rich stud Rodney Harrington, town vamp Betty Anderson Harrington Cord Harrington, evil patriarch Martin Peyton, stalwart town doctor Mike Rossi, the brooding Steven Cord and his sinsiter housekeeper mom Hannah, single mom-with-a-secret Constance McKenzie, young lovers Rita Jacks and Norman Harrington, tragic nurse Ann Howard and the troubled Webbers. By the way, Ryan O' Neal is doing an appearance on Desperate Housewives playing a character named- RODNEY!!!
I'm sure that Fox is already prepping Dynasty for DVD, but it should look at this Emmy-winning classic that inspired every single primetime soap that has come down the line ! Fox has been quite delinquent in releasing its classic TV shows on DVD, unlike Paramount, Warner Bros, Sony and Universal. I'm surprised it has actually gotten to release Lost In Space , but where's the likes of Dobie Gillis, The Green Hornet, Adventures In Paradise, Land of the Giants, and other 50s-60s gems?
Peyton Place is a classic just waiting to be discovered by a new generation. If MPI can have a great success putting all 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows on VHS and DVD, why can't Fox do the same with the 514 episodes of Peyton Place ?

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I've only heard of Peyton Place but never seen an episode. I've seen clips. It's in black and white if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I think the production companies are gearing up to release these primetime soaps (hopefully). And for those who say that the release of Dallas does not have an impact on the possible release of Dynasty are all wrong.

Dynasty was the response to Dallas. And the shows challenged each other. So, I see no reason why they can't release Dynasty.

I'd really like to see Dynasty released on DVD... wow, that would be cool. I don't know if I would pick up a copy of Peyton Place... I've never seen an episode of it. So, I'd rather rent it before I buy it.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope the TV series of "Peyton Place" is released on DVD.

It was a great series . The first years were in black and white and then color after that.

Hmmm not for this thread but wheres "Dr Kildare"?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the show went to color in September 1966, so the B/W to color ratio is 50-50. Mia Farrow had just left the show a few episodes earlier in August (unlike other primetime soaps, PP had no summer hiatus, fresh episodes aired continuously from its Sept. '64 start to its finale in the spring of 1969), so you won't see her on the show in a color episode. For those of you who weren't around then, Ms. Farrow left the show to marry a certain Mr. Sinatra.......

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought I'd update this thread. Since the last post, there's been more DVD releases for Dallas, Desperate Housewives, One Tree Hill, The O.C., and the first season of Knots Landing with upcoming releases for Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210- but still no news on Peyton Place!
I'll make no bones about it- this TV classic is on top of my "most wanted" list with Batman! Still, I'm not giving up hope. Considering that there are new people who have joined the Forum in the interim, I'd like to think that there are those who'd love to see Peyton Place on DVD. Come let your voices be heard!
BTW, here's a GREAT site on the show, its plotlines and the stars:
http://members.aol.com/AlisnRod/

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
While "PEYTON PLACE" the series was good, it was not half as good as the films, with Lana Turner, Hope Lange, Diane Varsi, Terry Moore, and Russ Tamblyn. The series cut central characters from the series and totally ignored the focus of the films or books. I would love to see the pilot, which was said to have totally followed the film. Selena and the Cross family were included in the pilot, but were eliminated when the series began. A total disappointment in my opinion, the series did not follow the films. Also, after Mia Farrow left the series started its decline. It was cut from three nights to two, then one.
Dorothy Malone left, and that was when it tanked. I would buy the beginning of the series, but after the first year it became slow and predictible. Lola Albright played Constance while Dorothy Malone recovered from Heart surgery for several months.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'd probably buy it, but I think we shouldn't start looking for it until the next format, when there's more space per disc to cram in all these hundreds of episodes. I can't imagine they'd do season sets; it's just too much. They'll probably have to do sets of 40 or so eps per box, like Dark Shadows.

Tom.W

Second Unit
About 5 or 6 years ago, Peyton Place aired on the Romance Classics channel. They ran through the entire series several times. I think this channel eventually became Women's Entertainment channel. Most likely spot for PP now would be Soapnet. I wouldn't hold much hope since the more established a network gets, the less likely it is to air classic black and white series. It wouldn't make sense to run only the color episodes. Much as I hope I'm wrong, I don't see releases of Knots Landing and Dynasty as harbingers of a PP release. That twenty years makes a big difference in the potential purchasing base.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Hey all

I went on line and found someone w/ episodes recoreded off the Romance Channel and bought the first forty from him-

I am enjoying the episodes so far, but the prints were obviously recorded in SLP format and look somewhat muddy and grainy. Yet another reason why a release w/ restored prints would be nice to have.

It would be nice to have this released by Fox, or another company that would give it a nice treatment- I have to agree with others... If Dark Shadows w/ over a thousand episodes has been released on DVD, why not release this show. From a historical standpoint alone, it is well worth releasing.

Jack

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Just another update- the pivotal second season of Dynasty (which introduced Alexis) has been announced for DVD release by Paramount later this year. One thing is certain: as Jack mentioned, the prints shown on cable were old and need a lot of remastering. New prints will have to be struck from the original negatives (which are still in the FOX vaults) before a home video release is done. I think that it will be a win-win situation for FOX if this is done: after all, M*A*S*H also needed remastering before it was put out on home video in new prints!
I am just praying that some FOX executive is watching this.....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Charles Ellis et al.,
Peyton Place is one of only two soaps I would consider purchasing if it was eventually released on DVD. I'm a fan of Dark Shadows, and I did watch episodes of Peyton Place during its original run, as my parents loved the show.
Please keep us updated here if and when it ever does come to DVD. BTW, does anyone happen to know for certain if the show--all 514 episodes of it--has survived on tape? I have no idea, and have not researched it.
Let me know what I can do to influence TPTB to release this classic!
From a historical standpoint alone, it is well worth releasing.
Jack,
Agreed. This is for me one of the primary draws of classic television series.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
FOX has all of the original negatives in their vaults, and new prints will have to be made for a DVD release- as I mentioned before, the current syndication prints are in terrible shape and need a do-over. Considering that a good deal of the cast is still around, it would be nice to have interviews and commentaries with any future DVD sets.
BTW, back in '73, ABC aired a late night special Peyton Place Revisited, which was a retrospective on the show, and had new interviews with the cast, especially Mia Farrow who was then living in London. I was lucky to see it back then, and to my knowledge it's never been shown on TV again. When PP is released, this special should be used as a DVD extra.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^
Thanks for the info.
BTW, I checked out the Peyton Place link you provided. It's very informative. Oddly, though, it lists 524 half-hour episodes. I'll settle for only 514 of them on DVD, however. ;)
I'm getting lost on the Peyton Place page. So many memories are coming back to me--Ed Nelson, Mia Farrow, et al. I recall many of these faces now; it was my mother who tuned in to see this show faithfully back in the 1960s. Such a nice trip down memory lane!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Well- It's 2008, and still no Peyton Place on DVD- I've been immersing myself in the saga and I have to say it is a very enjoyable television show. Great writing and acting, well paced, and engaging story lines. What can we do to get this officially released from the studio?
There is an interesting thread over at the Shout Factory Forum:
Shout! Factory Community - Bring "the continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" to DVD!!!! The ORIGINAL primetime soap!
Check it out- Brian from Shout Factory thinks the show would be a hard sell- I see his point, but don't people still major in marketing in college?
MPI has done a great job with Dark Shadows- Are there any fan clubs or chat rooms dedicated to Peyton Place like DS has?
Anyone know what we can do to get this show out to the public again? It's a treasure, trust me.
Jack

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
MPI has done a great job with Dark Shadows- Are there any fan clubs or chat rooms dedicated to Peyton Place like DS has?
Yes, they have. The site listed above is jam packed with interesting information on the series. As I commented last year, I loved the show and would gladly make it the second 'soap' in my collection. It's first-rate, and included some very big names (and excellent chemistry) in that show.

I read the Grace Metalious work when I was in High School. It was a very good and interesting read. If anyone thinks of a way to convince TPTB to release this fine series, please post those ideas here. I'd be willing to do some writing or calling.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Hey folks-

Check out the "TV on DVD demand" thread. It is an interesting read which may offer a solution down the line for those of us looking for "Peyton Place" on DVD that doesn't force us to the bootleggers! Check it out- I found it intriguing.

Also, does anyone know of a "Peyton Place" fan club or chat group? Those folks would be an important contact to show Fox there is still support for this show. I've been looking, but have not succesfully found one yet- Any idea Charles?

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks