-

Photo
- - - - -

With "Dallas" on DVD, why not the one that began it all: "PEYTON PLACE"?

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#21 of 364 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted January 27 2008 - 02:10 AM

Yeah- I've found both of those, and they are very well detailed- I'm going to try emailing the webmasters for information-

Jack

#22 of 364 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 10:33 AM

PEYTON PLACE has a cult following, and several of my best pals have been a part of that.

Fans have always had a tough time tracking this gem down.

It is one of the most thoroughly addictive shows ever...
and launched the careers of Mia Farrow, Ryan O' Neal, Barbara Parkins...while furthuring the careers of veterans Dorothy Malone, and Lee Grant...
in fact, Lee Grant won an Emmy for this.

I'd even take a "best of" at this point.

#23 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 07:51 AM

I know the fans of Peyton Place want this show on Dvd but the fan base is low and I fear Fox will not release it. In a few years TV on demand will be our only way to obtain the series. The episodes on Romance Classics are what everyone said. The show remastered would look great I am sure even the switch to color shows. The show was in syndication in 1976 and also on USA in the mid 80s.

When Romance Classics was launched in the late or mid 90s they boasted Peyton Place as the first show for their line up tv guide also reported this. So there are people out there which remember the series. The Peyton Place revisited I also saw on Abc wideworld of entertainment.

Then as we all know came the very poor Murder In Peyton Place and Then Peyton Place next Generation which was the best of the lot.

The show had great camera work and great lines for the actors. The last year of the show was not the best but they did bring back Hannah Cord and Bettys greed was great fun to watch.

Well who knows somone may get Fox to release it in a limited collectors only version with a preorder clause to only one distributer.

#24 of 364 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 01:42 PM

Well who knows somone may get Fox to release it in a limited collectors only version with a preorder clause to only one distributer.[/quote]

We can only hope- I for one have fallen in love with this show- It holds up well, the writing is excellent, and the acting is great- As I have said before, it really is television history, and represents GREAT classic television-

I agree though, that the fan base probably isn't there... It's been a long time since it's aired anywhere to my knowledge, and many have only vague memories of the show-

I've started a Yahoo group to get a gauge on the fan base, and there are only six of us after a month and a half- Little chat as well, as very few have episodes in their collection-

Anyone interested in joining here is the link:

PeytonPlaceTVShow-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Jack

#25 of 364 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 03:41 PM

One of my trading partners has the whole series taped off Fox Net so I'm not really worried about it being released. And since it's owned by Fox, chances are slim and none anyway.

#26 of 364 Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yes, Peyton Place is out there in private hands for anyone who wants it thanks to those '90s syndication runs (although the black & white episodes were transferred from some pretty dire-looking 16mm elements that could use a radical remastering).

But the tragedy here is that the show is ripe for the "value added material" treatment. Over the last few years I've been compiling interviews with the surviving writers & directors, plus a few of the cast members, and they all remember it with astonishing clarity, and as one of the great experiences in their careers. (The only other TV series I've written about where I've encountered that level of passion from the people who worked on it is East Side/West Side.) Peyton Place was a "young" show, with more people in their 20s and 30s both in front of and behind the camera than was typical for that era, but the window of opportunity is closing. One of the key producers passed away just last month.

#27 of 364 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 10:13 PM

Stephen-

Which producer just passed away?

You are right... The window of opportunity is slipping away for some great "extras" interviews.

Jack

#28 of 364 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 02:35 AM

While you are at, dreaming about soaps that Fox will never give you, why not put Long Hot Summer on the list as well, especially now that people seem to be getting into a Roy Thinnes mood with The Invaders release upcoming.

#29 of 364 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 09:29 AM

Personally I'd love Time/Life or MPI to get their hands on this show for DVD release. Fox has loaned out properties to other labels for DVD release (e.g.: Burke's Law, Honey West), so it can be done!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#30 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 11:56 AM

There was also another series on ABC airing during Peyton Place reign The Survirors staring Lana Turner. Then in 1976 you had Family and Rich Man Poor Man book 2 airing the same night. The Peyton Place shows on Romance aired twice daily in a daytime and late nightime slot and all shows on the weekend repeated. The shows were all complete episodes with no editing. When viewing the shows you will see the small icon from romance clasics in the corner. I was also told the show aired later on the Soap station not soapnet. I should think if this is true the episodes would be edited.

I was lucky and stupid during the airing on Romance taping at slow speed. I also did some stupid editing in the last season taking only what I wanted from each show. I also found transferring on DVD to be problematic because the VHS recorder I used during taping was long gone. Audio and Color were problems. I rerecorded the entire series a secord time on DVD found some old Vhs recorders to transfer with and they came out better then the first transfer to DVD.

Peyton Place was so popular that Girl From Peyton Place or Betty in New York was being considered and even the soap As the World Turns sent the Lisa character to Chicago for her own show over the summer in primetime no less. I am sure none of this is news to fans.

I see this show being available when TV on Demand gets going. I liked Larry Hagman giving Peyton Place the nod when on some interview show delcared Dallas the first night time soap and he said no there was Peyton Place.

The show aired so long ago that only 50s plus people remember its first airing. I was shocked to hear someone not to long ago say at my joy site this is like Peyton Place the person was over 50. I think the show has aged well.

Return to Peyton place the daytime soap I only saw once or twice. I heard it resolved the ending to the nightime show I also heard the cast filmed on ending for the European version after the show closed down. I think NBC wanted next Generation to be a new show ratings must not have supported it. Sorry for being so long winded it was one of my favorite shows of all time like Dark Shadows Time Tunnel Battlestar Galactica and so on.

#31 of 364 Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 03:41 PM

The Peyton Place producer who passed away recently was Richard DeRoy:

I Take a Holiday, And Death Doesn’t « The Classic TV History Blog

Also a talented writer for Studio One, Surfside Six, Checkmate, Mr. Novak, The Flying Nun, Remington Steele, etc.

#32 of 364 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 17 2008 - 01:30 PM

Many important memories are disappearing with these people. Imagine the recollections shared from Mr. DeRoy and Paul Monash-

Christopher Connally, Ruth Warrick... I know there are many more-

Come on MPI- License this one like you did Dark Shadows, and give us this fine program!!

#33 of 364 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 07:59 AM

Better yet, how about a 'complete series' release through Time/Life like Get Smart and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.?

P.S.: Like my new signature? I think it gets the message across!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#34 of 364 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 11:54 AM

Amen Charles- A complete series release would certainly be a smart way to go- I picked up my "copies" complete, and have never regretted it!

Jack

#35 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 07:04 AM

Here is Return to Peyton Place the thread that Mr Charles Elils began so long ago.

I enjoyed reading those early posts and how they now reflect how all the fans feel today.  I feel sad that Charles Jack and myself and perhaps a few others are the only ones who have the show from our own recordings from the Romance Channel.  I also ask Peyton Fans to please do not approach me about shareing or what ever you wish to call it my recordings.

Dark Shadows turned 40 back in 2006.  I had my recordings from the New Jersey Network.  I contacted Jim who I talked with some years ago by phone before his place in Dan Curtis Productions.  I emailed him this time to ask if I could mail my recordings at no charge and they could have a contest for the fans who could not afford to buy the show.  I stated they could give away the recordings to the fan who won the contest.  Jim contacted me right away and thanked me.  He surprised me by saying I could not give away my recordings.  He said it violated DCP. He said it was a great thought and thanked me again.

I only bring this up because i had one very blunt request that rather upset me some months ago.  I said NO NO NO!!!!!   The person came back and said ok HOW MUCH!!!!  I responded  back that to please enjoy the episodes they had. I believe I also suggested to lobby Shout and Fox for more episodes. I also must add I have had good Peyton emails too. Cake for instance sent me a very nice email awhile back.

I understand the one fan's frustration.  I guess it shows the dedication of the fans for the show and how desperate they have become.

I caught awhile back a Larry Hagman interview.  The host of the show named Dallas as the one and only night time soap and that all networks had to have a Dallas back in the 80's.  Hagman stated no PEYTON PLACE was the first night time soap.  I was so pleased to hear him say that.

Shout  as Mr Cliff Mac stated was not pleased with the sales of the show.  I think they are done with show.   I wish I could add more Info but I have stated I would not. I shall wait until I can share with the fans what ever news that may be.

Please everyone have a great holiday season PP Fans and all those on the forum

#36 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted December 08 2010 - 12:58 PM

Peyton Place Fans just wanted to make one more comment.  I knew the final fate of the show when Mr Mac made his statement.  I thought it should be confirmed with Brian Ward since he seemed to be speaking for Shout all this time about Peyton Place.  I email Brian twice after Mr Mac's statement.  I kept visiting the Shout thread to see any word and there was none until I went there Sunday night.  I am saying this because I did not know about Brian when I signed off this thread with my above statements.  I just do not want fans to think I am not in sympathy with them.  I just know that you cannot give share whatever without violation of the laws.

I knew one nice fellow in the early days of Dark Shadows on PBS who sold the show to many fans across the country.  He was not the only one.  The worst story was that he sold the 1840 storyline before it went on the air.  We Dark Shadows fans know that the last episode on NJN was Angleique in PT before Barnabas gets released from his coffin. 1840 never aired on PBS.  The poor folks were to say the least upset with this man.  I heard later DCP got hold of him and a few others but I heard they all got off easy no charges against them. I thought that was nice of Dan Curtis.

I think Dallas just squeaked by the gate.  I hope we get the movies.  I went bought the rest of Dallas that I had not purchased because I heard not to many copies were made for the last few seasons and get them now.

I really think it might go MOD with Fox. I think that is where the future is for a lot of shows.

Peyton Place Friends I am very sorry about being so blunt on shareing my episodes.  You are all great people and if I could I would be handing over episodes hand and fist and not to that stupid  BOZO who thought could buy me off. 

Please Have a Happy Holiday All of You!!!

Mark

#37 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted December 22 2010 - 11:38 AM

DALLAS COMPLETE IN APRIL 2011 THE BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT I COULD GET!!!  I now can can just turn my attention to collecting classic movies.  Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea complete and the season 4 of the Lucy Show will finally end my tv dvd buying.  I would like a blu ray of the old Batttlestar Galactica but time will tell.  I also might buy way down the road Mission Impossible and Mannix but funds will rule that.

Peyton Place Fans there are some very good episodes during the winter of 64 and 65 on Shout's chapters 1 and 2.  I just wish we could get the rest of the series.  Charles I believe mentioned another distributer for the show.  We can only hope.  I want MPI to get interested and have already once suggested it to them.

Happy Holidays Everyone

#38 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 11:50 AM

I just learned that Dallas is returning.  I must have been in a cave.  Shooting begins in March.  Dallas the next generation.  Just like Peyton Place the next Generation.  JR is back at 80 years old and Bobby.  We get a new Sue Ellen and Pam is long since dead.  Larry Hagman gives an interview for TV Guide. Check it out Dallas Fans.

Now please 20th Century Fox  release Peyton Place to Time Life or MPI.

#39 of 364 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,364 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 11:55 PM

Huh! I guess you're right! I hadn't heard these rumors either...just that they were supposedly making a movie out of it, which thankfully never came to pass. It's quite true--Dallas is returning to tv. If the pilot doesn't sell, I hope they at least release it as a reunion movie...

"The updated pilot, written by former Cane scribe Cynthia Cidre, finds 'ole J.R. confined to a mental asylum in a near catatonic state, having not spoken a word in years. How does Larry feel about this bold and startling plot development?

"Whatever they want is okay with me," he says, vowing J.R. won't be locked away for long. "Oh, I'll get out and cause more trouble! That's for sure!" "

#40 of 364 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted January 25 2011 - 12:08 PM

The New Dallas has signed on Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray.  Here is a sneak peak at what is to come.

Working title - Dallas – Changing of the guard

Characters – (scripted to appear)

JOHN ROSS EWING
CHRISTOPHER EWING
ELENA RAMOS (John Ross’s love interest)
CARMEN RAMOS (Ewing cook)
REBECCA (Becky) SUTTER
BOBBY EWING
ANN EWING
JR EWING
SUE ELLEN EWING
RAY KREBBS
DONNA KREBBS
JENNA KREBBS
JACK EWING (unless a recast takes place this is going to change)
LUCY EWING
MARTA DEL SOL
TOMMY SUTTER

Teasers:

The family are at war over a past legacy
One original major character is about to meet their maker
A wedding brings back characters from the past
The future of Southfork hangs in the balance
Flashbacks to the original series
Reference is made to characters that have passed away including Pam.
There are several brillient plot twists
Bobby is happilly married
The past, in particular Miss Ellie, plays a significant role in the story-arc
A love triangle is on the cards (very Dallasesque)
Like fathers like sons (but perhaps worse!!!)
Script snippet:

BOBBY:
I worry about John Ross and Christopher…I want our boys to
have a chance at being a family,without the bad blood and bitterness…I don’t want them to
be like us, J.R. –
(hesitates a moment)
I’ll miss you. Hope you know I always loved you…

Dallas is back!

Peyton Place should come back on the air.  How and where??? The Oprah Winfrey Network.  The show would be a good fit for OWN which plays lots of old romance movies on it's schedule. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users