-

Photo
- - - - -

With "Dallas" on DVD, why not the one that began it all: "PEYTON PLACE"?

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#301 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 11:43 AM

JMas,

WOW  I am certain a very great many fans of Peyton Place envy you on what you have.  I wonder if you also have the 2 TV movies the 1 hour pilot and the much wanted Peyton Place Revisited.

Peyton Place Fans should all be able to have the wonderful quality that Jmas has as he has stated.

Here is another reason why we as fans should get together and email Fox to please release the rights to what ever company wants them.  The price must be fair so that a company such as Shout can afford to risk another release.

I still hold out the hope the show will be released by Shout Factory in a one big blast of a limited edition in honor of the 50th anniversary.  I know as we all do that Shout and Fox are working together again. Here is the reason I feel that Shout is the only hope for Peyton Place.

Fox seems to only work with Shout and I am happy for everyone whose series have been unblocked.  I can only suggest emails to Shout to show support for another release of Peyton Place.  I cannot say it will do any good but it might.

I would love for MPI or Time Life to get the show but I worry this will not come to pass. Shout began the release and if Shout does not see it worth the risk to release Peyton Place the show will stay locked in the vault. 

Shout Factory thank you for giving the show a shot on DVD in the first place.  Please to the powers that be take a look again perhaps not now but in the future of another Peyton Place release.  The whole series at a cheap rate and this way fans can afford it and will also not worry about episodes being halted.

#302 of 366 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 11:49 AM

I wonder if the tapes for RTPP still exist- after all, it was made by the Fox studio, and tapes may have been kept for foreign syndication purposes.

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#303 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 11:57 AM

Charles,

I think I had heard they are there but they could have been destroyed.  Here is the only clip that I know exits from the original pilot that you speak of quite often.  Enjoy

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AZupYOmRsb8

ABC-TV 1964-65 New Shows Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Shout Factory thank you for giving the show a shot on DVD in the first place.  Please to the powers that be take a look again perhaps not now but in the future of another Peyton Place release.  The whole series could be released at a cheap rate and this way fans can afford it and with a complete series release fans will not worry about episodes being halted.

#304 of 366 JMas

JMas

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 02:10 PM

I do have both reunion movies - Murder In Peyton Place and Peyton Place: The Next Generation.  I liked the second much better than the first.  I don't know anything about the 1-hour pilot or Peyton Place Revisited.

Putting only 4 episodes on each DVD to keep the quality high means it took 129 DVDs for the complete series.  To me, 8 or 12 episodes on a single DVD looks like crap and makes the show much less enjoyable.

#305 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 04:14 PM

JMas,

You are so right about the number of dvds.  I have has some fans state the whole series plus 4 movies are on 5 or 6 dvds.  I am so happy to hear that you support the release of the series.  I have stated  that even my episodes which are very good would be much better in a series package such as Shout gave us.

I know I sound like a broken record but I just hate the thought of people getting either junk and paying nothing or being charged a great deal of money for a small number episodes. 

JMas welcome to this thread if I had not said it before.  I wish we could get more fans on here for the 50th anniversary.  The studios do read these threads. The more interest they see the better.   Mr James Finn from Fox did come on the Voyage thread when we were all waiting for that show.

I do not know who is in charge over at Fox for PP. Peyton Place is a different story.

with rights to be talked about.  Voyage was a direct Fox release. 

Shout will never take the risk again if they feel the show lost them money.  PP would have made them more money if they had not stopped the show.  I know for a fact at that time it was Fox fault.  The reason makes no difference now it just caused fans not to buy anymore of the Shout volumes which caused them not to make more money.

So that is why I push for a limited edition series release or MOD series release.  See what  happens then.  I think Shout might be able to make the money they hoped for when they made the investment in Peyton Place.  I also believe with the 50th anniversary coming now is the time to do the show.  I think if it does not get done in 2014 it will stay in the Fox vault for good. 

#306 of 366 tracyedgar

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hello all -- I've been absent of late, but then, the boards have been a bit quiet. Nice to see some renewed interest here! Mark, my friend, we've spoken of this before, but my dream would be for a huge box set release, much like Dark Shadows did, which would include the 2 original films, the prime time series (and the pilot as a bonus), the daytime soap, the 2 moves "Murder..." and "...Next Generation", and the "...Revisited" special. Wouldn't that be amazing? This series deserves the royal treatment.
  • Mark Collins likes this

#307 of 366 tracyedgar

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 04:46 PM

Oh...and Charles...I'm sure I'll see you in Tarrytown in June! I haven't missed a Dark Shadows Fest on either coast (even the cruise) in six years!!

#308 of 366 tracyedgar

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hey Mark! I got an email notice that you responded to my post but I don't see it here on the board.

#309 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:47 PM

Trace welcome back!! Love your suggestions and let us hope Shout or even MPI as I had suggested sometime ago has a chance at the show. Fox just has not in the past given them any rights to their programs only Shout Factory.

#310 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:54 PM

Here is a forum from the UK that our friend Stuart provided us with.
http://www.zetaminor...f0b045995e7f448

#311 of 366 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 06:48 AM

I had never seen that clip from the 'lost pilot' before- very interesting.  The odds are it's still there in the Fox vaults, and would make a great 'extra' for a future PP DVD release.

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#312 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 11:15 AM

Peyton Place Fans I was able to find a clip from Return To Peyton Place. The clip is at the end of the video.

This is the only clip I know of that even exists of this series. Very rare indeed>

I only saw this show once. I believe it is a scene between Allison and Rodney.

Here is a single that came out during the first year of the show in 1965.

#313 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 12:36 PM

I found this wonderful interview with William Self where he speaks about the creation of Peyton place about 6 minutes in. He also speaks of Lost In Space and Batman

#314 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 08:35 AM

I was going to wait until the 50th anniversary but I found thise.

The great extras all of us fans wanted on the Shout Factory Videos for Peyton Place are here. Perhaps some have you have seen them I have not. There are many and links to more.

http://www.emmytvleg...ws/peyton-place

The site is down from time to time so come back if it is.

#315 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 11:01 AM

You can also check this out as well which has more to learn on the show.

http://www.emmytvleg...de/peyton place

#316 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 11:06 AM

The search should turn up anything on any show. You will get more links with the search for your show. Voyage only had one person on the show site but in the search had more links. PP has both so when you are finished on the show site go to search links more info is there.

http://www.emmytvleg...de/peyton place

http://www.emmytvleg...ws/peyton-place

#317 of 366 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:18 AM

Here's Dickey Lee performing his hit on Hollywood a Go-Go (why isn't this show on DVD- I think all of the 52 episodes still exist on either video or kinescope).  I just love host Sam Riddle referring to my girls Mia and Barbara!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a1jx_87lI0o

#318 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:36 AM

Dallas returns tonight but without me. I decided last season it would be my last. I wish them all the luck and know that there are many viewers who enjoy the show.

I also have not purchased season 2. I think I shall wait until the price comes down on the DVD. I only wish I had the option to buy more Peyton Place DVDs.

The two cliff hangers one for this spring the other for summer may help Dallas ratings.

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/

#319 of 366 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 03:54 PM

I watched Dallas last night and the DVD for season 2 has 3 hours bonus material on it.

I sure hope Peyton Place is this massive new DVD series set that is suppose to come out.  50th Anniversary Limited Edition Series Set would be great.  The fans are out there. Many Dark Shadows fans are also Peyton Place fans.  Jonathan Frid even wanted DS to be on at night and said it would be as much a hit as Peyton Place.  The DS crowd I grew up with were fans of both shows.

The show like DS is not dated to watch.  We talked on the thread below on how much DS and Peyton Place are the same.  Fans of PP if you have time take a quick glance. 

http://www.hometheat...-entertainment/

#320 of 366 tracyedgar

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 05:45 PM

LOVED Dallas last night! So cool to see the iconic cast pictures at the beginning like the old series! I still love it after all these years--the older cast is fully integrated into storylines and not just decorations, and the young cast is full of sex appeal, scheming and secrets! What's not to love!

I agree, Mark! Peyton Place holds up remarkably well! Not dated, yet nostalgic. The stories I've seen so far are still relevant today! I'm still hoping for that complete box set too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users