Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

With "Dallas" on DVD, why not the one that began it all: "PEYTON PLACE"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#281 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 12:07 PM

I bring this up every year for Halloween.  Martin Peyton actor George Macready has a wonderful part in his Son's movie Count Yorga Vampire.  George speaks at the start of the film about what a Vampire is.  The words that he speaks are wonderful.  TCM does play the movie if you can catch it.

The other Martin Peyton visits the grave of his daughter Catherine.  The one is filmed in 1966 in a very beautiful way.  Fall leaves and the camera work is great. The dialog between Martin and Dr Rossi wonderful.  The other is in 1967 same time of year and again camera work and the dialog in that scene are beautiful.  Voyage fans can see the grave stone of Lani from the Phantom Returns while Martin is speaking in the 1967 episode.

#282 of 337 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 10:54 AM

Please forgive me for not having written sooner these past few months- that damn thing called 'real life' intervened.  By now you have heard of the passings of Gail Kobe and Ted Post, as well as Mia's big confession (wouldn't it have been great if she said that Ronan could 'possibly' be Ryan O'Neal's son instead?).  I am still hoping that perhaps Time/Life could get involved for a complete series release.  BTW, I suggest contacting both the Me-TV and Antenna TV cable networks online to suggest they run PP.  After all, Me-TV has announced they're going to run Dark Shadows starting next year!

• Ockeghem and Mark Collins like this
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#283 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 06:36 AM

Charles glad to have you back my friend!!  Hope all is well.  I am watching the fall of 1966 and 67 and the color is fantastic!  Yes I hold out for the 50th celebration of the series a complete release by someone like Time/Life.  Fox please help us.  I get many emails from fans who complain about the quaility that is out there.  I just as the rules are stated here advocate any of this and or part with my copies.  I am so sorry guys about that.

#284 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 01:19 PM

I had to thank Neil for the post on Peyton Place.  I am sure all fans enjoyed it.

#285 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 01:34 PM

Here is the post from Neil.  What a great thing it would be if the show could get back on track for the 50th year of the show coming in September.

Posted November 19 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thought that you Peyton Place folks might be interested in this feature article on the series that was put up on the AV Club website:

The link is in my next post.

#286 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 12:52 PM

Here is the news item on Peyton Place that Neil gave us PP Fans.

http://www.avclub.co...s-hidden-105363

Once again thanks Neil for posting this.  Very well written by Stephen who posted on this thread at the very start. 

Posted April 15 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yes, Peyton Place is out there in private hands for anyone who wants it thanks to those '90s syndication runs (although the black & white episodes were transferred from some pretty dire-looking 16mm elements that could use a radical remastering).

But the tragedy here is that the show is ripe for the "value added material" treatment. Over the last few years I've been compiling interviews with the surviving writers & directors, plus a few of the cast members, and they all remember it with astonishing clarity, and as one of the great experiences in their careers. (The only other TV series I've written about where I've encountered that level of passion from the people who worked on it is East Side/West Side.) Peyton Place was a "young" show, with more people in their 20s and 30s both in front of and behind the camera than was typical for that era, but the window of opportunity is closing. One of the key producers passed away just last month.
  •  
  •  

#287 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 01:15 PM

I wish Stephen would post again and all the other fans that are out there.  I have one friend who provided info to the writer of the Peyton Place Series Book and would very much like to see this show get back on track and finish with all 514 episodes out there for the public to enjoy.  I am so tired of hearing how fans have to put up with bad sound and picture from bootleg copies sold. 

I have the Romance Channel copies which I recorded in the 90s that Stephen speaks of.  The films are not that bad.  Only one episode had a slight sound problem.  The rest look great.  I also want to add that the Shout Factory episodes were very good.  People should not shy away from buying the 2 volumes.  Peyton Place looks great when viewed on blu-ray player.  Shout did a great job putting those 2 Volumes out.  I only wish they could have continued.

• Ockeghem likes this

#288 of 337 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 07:00 AM

OK, apparently Shout Factory is making an official release of the entire second season of The Big Valley for this spring as through the recently acquired Timeless Media Group.  This may be an encouraging sign that perhaps the company may finally get to PP once again.  Of course, I'd personally perefer a big "Complete Series" deal thru Time/Life myself......

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#289 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 11:40 AM

Peyton Place needs to released in a series set with all 514 episodes.  2014 will mark 50 years of the show.  MPI was at one time interested in the series before Shout Factory picked it up for the two volumes.  Fox seems to be willing to negotiate with Shout perhaps they would now be willing to give the rights to MPI at a reasonable rate so fans can now have the option to own the classic series.

Peyton Place is no Batman or any of the other series that Fox has now given to Shout but it does have a loyal fan base.  I think there is money to make off the show if it could be sold on the cheap to what ever company wants to put it out there.  I would take it with no remastering and just the way Shout gave it to us.  I have said before that they did a great job I thought on the two volumes they gave us.

The bootleg dvds that are out there have many problems.  Missing episodes and missing ends to episodes and bad sound and picture.  I have heard the complaints all over the internet. 

I think to release it as a set rather cheaply is the route to go.  People will then buy the show not worried that it will be stopped at any moment and they would not be able to get the rest of the series.

Fans need to get together and push for a release.  The funny thing is my dvds are pristine and I am so glad that I have them.  I would buy the show if MPI releases it. 

Price must be low for the company who gets it and to the fans who buy it.  The show would then I am sure make money. 

#290 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 11:54 AM

Getting Peyton Place which aired 3 times per week and then two and then one at it's end just like Batman would be a dream come true.  I would then have all the 60s shows I grew up with as a kid.

I think the Knots Landing problem will be solved in the near future.  Just a feeling.

With the wrap up of Dynasty and the Colbys sure to follow perhaps CBS will make an offer to the WB.  I wish they would to Fox for Peyton Place.

I was also asked by a fan how my DVDs of PP hold up to the Shout Factory 2 volumes. I roll out the two volumes from Shout.  I just like the presentation of PP that Shout did on those two volumes. 

Once again I say to fans buy those 2 volumes even if you did buy bootleg.  Oh I cannot say over again how many many complaints I have heard from fans on those bootleg sets being sold by many people at various prices.  All this could stop if we get a release.

Charles keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!

#291 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:13 PM

Here are two great links for those who love Peyton Place.

http://www.bing.com/...eries&FORM=IGRE

http://marvin1934.tripod.com/aaa.htm

I only had the chance to watch the daytime soap based on the prime time series once.  I love the shot though of the entire cast on the Peyton Mansion stairway.  You will spot some of the cast from the prime time show that was hired for the 70s soap which only lasted two years on NBC.

Peyton Place sets cans also be seen on the Land of the Giants 1st and second season.  The town was used a great deal after it was canceled on Giants second season with even the indoor sets.

The last episode of Time Tunnel used the Peyton sets too.

#292 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:29 PM

•  

Here is the news item on Peyton Place that Neil gave us PP Fans

Here too is the book that was written on the show and a must have for all fans.

http://www.amazon.co...series complete

#293 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:00 PM

Here is a clip from one episode and a full and complete episode from our good Dark Shadows friend Stuart.  The show has a message board in the UK.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Bca7MTeZY5w

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qiA0b144ICs

I would tell any company forget the remastering of episodes secure the rights as cheaply as possible from Fox and then hand the entire series over to the public as cheap as you can and watch the money come in.  MPI I think would be a great fit for this show!

#294 of 337 JMas

JMas

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:46 PM

•  

Here is the news item on Peyton Place that Neil gave us PP Fans

Here too is the book that was written on the show and a must have for all fans.

http://www.amazon.co...series complete

I have the first edition of Rosin's book.  What changes were made in the revised edition that make it worth purchasing again?

#295 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 08:22 PM

I love hearing tonight once again this show advertised during the Dark Shadows credits. Peyton Place is the last 60s drama that should be out on DVD. Thanks to MPI all during the DS first season we hear about this classic series. Shout gave us two chapters.

I just want for all fans not to be force to buy awful bootleg copies or be over charged to receive inferior copies of episodes.

MPI please speak with 20th Century Fox about the rights to this classic

#296 of 337 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 11:35 AM

ICAM!!!!

#297 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 04:30 PM

JMas

Sorry I did not answer your question.  Hit me when you asked about Downton Abbey on that thread. Downton reminds me a great deal of an updated Peyton Place.  The producer of Downton credits the American night time soap as the pace he wanted to use when creating Downton.

The answer to your question on Mr Rosin's book is I do not know.  I wish I could be of more help to you.

I still hope that this year the 50th anniversary of Peyton Place will give us a complete series release.  I do not care if it is restored or not.  I just want all episodes out there for fans to enjoy. 

Peyton Place is the last 60s drama that has yet to receive a complete release.  I still hope MPI has an interest in the show.  I know that Fox has not given MPI rights to FOX series before and I hope this has changed.  I hope it has changed even if MPI does not get the rights to Peyton Place. 

I wish Shout would renew an interest in the series.  I have said before the two volumes which Shout gave us is far above any copies you might buy.  I have been told from fans on PP message boards of the incomplete episodes and bad quality episodes they receive and even episodes that cost a great deal.  I speak of this only to caution fans that what you get may not be something you will like.  

I wish Shout could get the show on the cheap from Fox and put it out as a series release I feel Shout could make money on Peyton Place in this way.  Fans are more willing to buy if they know they will get all the episodes instead of the worry the show will be halted for some reason as it was after the first two volumes from Shout. 

I just hope that a 50th Anniversary Limited Edition could come out. MPI did it with 1225 Dark Shadows episodes in a coffin set and was a sell out at Amazon.  Peyton Place has only 514 episodes minus the 50 plus episodes Shout released. 

I always say I wish people could see how good these episodes look without restoration and just from my recordings. 

I just want to see the series put out the way Shout Factory did it.  I also want to thank Shout Factory as I have in the past for at least giving the show a chance.

I know CBS took over Dynasty from Fox after year one.  I assume however because Dynasty was not really a Fox show is the reason.  I would love for CBS to grab the distribution rights for Peyton Place but PP is a Fox show which may be the reason CBS would not.

Charles brought up Time Life and I would love that too.  Shout Factory or MPI are the two whom I wish would consider it.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=U41ItpeNHAM

#298 of 337 JMas

JMas

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:44 PM

I recorded the complete series from Romance Classics and am very satisfied with the quality of most of the episodes.  My set has just 4 episodes per DVD at the 2-hour speed to keep the quality as high as possible  I also bought the 2 sets Shout Factory released and would love to see the rest of the series released commercially.  I watched the show when it originally aired from 1964 to 1969, even when it was on 2 or 3 nights a week.

#299 of 337 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 04:50 AM

The villains here are of course those jackasses at 20th Century-Fox who have been incredibly stupid in not releasing a great deal of its pre-1980 shows on DVD.  Aside from the Irwin Allen shows, there's been little else. Some shows got out only because of ownership issues (indie producers and rightsholders to fictional characters).  This is where Dobie Gillis (owned by creator Max Shulman's estate) and Batman (characters owned by DC Comics/Warner Bros.) come in.  Dynasty was originally a Fox DVD release, but CBS/Paramount bought Spelling Entertainment, so that's why the show switched studios for later seasons.  The Andy Griffith Show is a CBS/Paramount property, and yet it's sequel series Mayberry R.F.D is being put out on DVD through Warner Bros.  Maybe MPI or Time/Life could deal directly with Fox or perhaps contact the estate of Peyton Place creator/executive producer Paul Monash.to get DVD rights.  Just an idea.......

• Mark Collins and ljgranberry like this

#300 of 337 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 11:05 AM

Here are some recent articles on Peyton Place and the daytime soap that followed.

http://soaps.sheknow...tnews/id/35745/

http://soaps.sheknow...tnews/id/35743/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users