Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

With "Dallas" on DVD, why not the one that began it all: "PEYTON PLACE"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#221 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 08:26 AM

Dallas ratings continue to drop! General Hospital ratings up and Laura Genie Francis even returns Monday to a soap delclared dead last year. Now I hear it has Vampires and whole cast of past former regulars. http://omg.yahoo.com...-194217592.html Here are the Dallas ratings Dallas, also airing at 8 p.m., had 103,263 viewers after last week's first two episodes of Season 2 drew 151,452 and 144,568 viewers. I really had hoped Dallas would not drop each week. I thought Fox might let Peyton Place out of the vault but with Dallas ??? I as a fan of Dallas said I would watch the show live unitl the funeral of JR. The only scenes I could stand were with Larry. The writers need to wrap this show up as a tribute to Larry and to a once good show. The rehash of old plots from the old show. Now we have a new Digger Barnes in the form of the house keepers son who just came on and Sue Ellen turned into a Joan Collins character. I know blast away at me but Dallas and Larry need to have more than this. I loved Dallas and I just hate what they are doing to it and Larry. I wrote here because I do not want it to be said that I went on a thread just to throw mud. I just have say to Dallas Producers I love Dallas and Larry please respect the memory of both. Edit this show down as a great tribute to Larry and Dallas. Mini Series movie of the week your writers can do something Dallas Producers. Peyton Place when Dallas was hot tried to bring it back in Prime TIme in 1985. NBC was close but it did not happen. Now all I wish are those episodes from the original released from the vaults of Fox. Please Mr Jame Finn can you not at least give Peyton Place an MOD way out of the Vault

#222 of 424 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 08:38 AM

Dallas ratings continue to drop! General Hospital ratings up and Laura Genie Francis even returns Monday to a soap delclared dead last year. Now I hear it has Vampires and whole cast of past former regulars. http://omg.yahoo.com...-194217592.html Here are the Dallas ratings Dallas, also airing at 8 p.m., had 103,263 viewers after last week's first two episodes of Season 2 drew 151,452 and 144,568 viewers. Dallas, also airing at 8 p.m., had 103,263 viewers after last week's first two episodes of Season 2 drew 151,452 and 144,568 viewers. I really had hoped Dallas would not drop each week. I thought Fox might let Peyton Place out of the vault but with Dallas ???
Hi Mark, I have also notice the ratings have dropped. I normally do not watch it when it airs and strictly go to Bravo Canada and watch it on my own time. The 2nd season has been neat with the subplots, but i am just not convince it has enough staying power to last beyond this season. I would not be surprised that the show is not renewed for 3rd season. I have been watching the old series, especially early on like Who shot JR and/or when Cliff tries to commit suicide as way to follow the plots from season to season. The new show is neat, because it is usually similar plot lines: 1. Child being used as pawn between parents (John Ross was pawn between Sue Ellen and JR) 2. Oil still being focal point, especially on southfork. I still puzzled too why they have not settled Pam's estate as part of the episode development as Pam was a rich woman and left everything to Christopher. The other problem is choice of Judith Light as the nasty grandmother may not be sparking much interest as people remember her most as Angela in "Who's the Boss". It is too they could not have convince Shirley McLaine to play the grandmother.

#223 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi Paul ,The ratings on Dallas in the UK have also dropped. Each week it is going to drop further and further in the ratings. I supported Dallas from the moment it was announced that it would return. I even kept up the interest for the new show on this thread. The show has come to an end and TNT and the Producers of the show must understand this. I have been a fan of Dallas right from the start of the original before JR was shot. I know lots of trivia about the show and even watched and in the end recorded all its seasons. Here is what I think should be done. Victoria must come back to the show. Give her whatever terms she wants money how much work etc. Bobby and Pam must reunite and leave Southfork and Dallas forever. Christopher will co own the ranch with John Ross. He will marry his beloved and continue the company. Gary and Val whatever problems they have will return to their life in California. Lucy will join them and also find happiness. Rebecca will lose the babies which I think has already been planned. Afton will return married and help to clear her daughter of murder. Ann will not have killed her ex-husband which I also think is planned. Here is the shocker. Cliff and Sue Ellen will marry after all the years and now JR gone will marry. Cliff will offer John Ross a place at Barnes Global. John Ross and Pamela Rebecca will marry and the Ewing Barnes feud will be over. I know never has been done. Dallas however has always been a first. I just cannot sit through a who killed JR. The funeral is even morbid in some ways. I think they should have just spoken about his death and went to the reading of his Will by the grandson of Harvey Smithfield. I know many of the new fans want it to go on. I think the ratings prove that the bread and butter of Dallas were us old fans and speaking just for me I do not like the show. Why have I written this? I am trying to appeal Cynthia to give my show a respectful end and give us Bobby and Pam together again. The show was Bobby and Pam until the accident. Dallas came back in the ratings in season 10 and beat Miami Vice. Why because Bobby and Pam were back together and JR was being JR. I know from people here that TNT will not reshoot Dallas or give it a conclusion. I just think ratings decline might just interest them in doing so. I of course must once again wind this up with give us the rest of Peyton Place. MPI a few years back wanted the show. Heck Shout was willing to contiune except for conditions I refuse to comment on. Mr Finn please entertain farming the show out to TIme Life who expressed interest along with the other companys I mentioned on terms they can accept. Thank You Mark.

#224 of 424 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hi Mark, You make some excellent points and i never been convinced that you could ever have Dallas without JR. Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray were first approach about the show and say they would do it and only if Larry Hagman would joined the cast. Larry Hagman did and now that he is gone then imho the show dies with him. The show can wrapped up loose ends, like Pam with Bobby are the perfect couple and the show should end with them together. Yes, the actors are trying hard to established their own identity, but they are not Bobby and JR as such the older fan members are having trouble excepting them as part of Dallas. I am also hoping that more Knots Landing comes out as there are few more episodes that include JR.

#225 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hey Paul I hope for your sake and many other fans Knots can come out MOD like the second season of Falcon Crest. I thought tonights episode was the best of the season so far. The producers used the original cast more. The new cast was placed in scenes with the original cast just at the right moments. The new cast also were given some good lines in their own scenes. Dallas still reminds me of those end days on Peyton Place after Martin Peyton left the show. He was the JR of that show. The show even ended its second run on the Romance Channel after Martin Peyton left the show. I still make my plea to Fox to unearth this show from their Vault.

#226 of 424 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hey Paul I hope for your sake and many other fans Knots can come out MOD like the second season of Falcon Crest. I thought tonights episode was the best of the season so far. The producers used the original cast more. The new cast was placed in scenes with the original cast just at the right moments. The new cast also were given some good lines in their own scenes. Dallas still reminds me of those end days on Peyton Place after Martin Peyton left the show. He was the JR of that show. The show even ended its second run on the Romance Channel after Martin Peyton left the show. I still make my plea to Fox to unearth this show from their Vault.
Hi Mark, I watch the last episode and it was amazing, especially the integration of the new and old characters in the subplots. It was really good to see Ken Kercheval, but he does not look well. I think i remember he survive lung cancer, but looks very frail. I think Ken is like 77/78 now. Sue Ellen still looks amazing for a person that is 70+ years old. The sad thing will be the last episode of Dallas. I am dreading watching that episode as it will mean end of Larry Hagman as JR. I am glad that i have S1-S14 on dvd including the movies. Dallas is still amazing after all these years. The show is good to teach people about unethical behavior as JR was kingpin to doing shady things as part of his deal makings.

#227 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 06:53 AM

Paul I hate to say this but Monday Night may be the last episode Larry is in. Here is a promo http://www.ultimated...llas-tnt-video/ I too have all the seasons. I feel like watching some if it was not the finale of Downton Abbey tonight. The show reminds me a great deal of Peyton Place. Peyton Place was born from a night time soap in the UK . I belive it was called and still is Corornation Street

#228 of 424 OFFLINE   handley

handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 09:49 AM

I just got done watching the first season of the new Dallas and I must say, I was VERY impressed! I started watching the original from Day 1. I was 12 years-old when it first started and I watched faithfully every week right up through the reunion movies. I then bought everything as it came out on DVD and enjoyed it all over again. I've been very impressed with the new cast as well as the writing and direction of the revival. Yes, I also love the old characters and the history they bring to the show. All-in-all it's been one of my favorite recent series.

#229 of 424 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 01:37 AM

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]I watch last night's episode and it was a great episode. The call from Cliff to JR was classic!! I have also notice that JR has stayed in the background as is rarely seen. In season 1 there was more of JR, but S2 it appears they are using him in a sporadic role. I realized he died before the show completed its S2 recording. [/SPOILER]

#230 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes Paul here would be a good time to have Pam return. I know it will not happen. General Hospital with a new Luke and Laura adventure in the works the return of Jack Wagner and a bunch of Vampires has the longest running soap in daytime with ratings it has not seen in years. Dallas should take a look at this. I now have a statement for Fox Studios. Mr James Finn release Peyton Place so all those classic moments from the first night time soap in history can be purchased by her fans.

#231 of 424 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 09:00 AM

Yes Paul here would be a good time to have Pam return. I know it will not happen. General Hospital with a new Luke and Laura adventure in the works the return of Jack Wagner and a bunch of Vampires has the longest running soap in daytime with ratings it has not seen in years. Dallas should take a look at this. I now have a statement for Fox Studios. Mr James Finn release Peyton Place so all those classic moments from the first night time soap in history can be purchased by her fans.
Hey Mark, It looks like Afton Cooper is going to be on episode. http://www.ultimated...-dallas-on-tnt/ I am little fuzzy, because Pam Rebecca Barnes was born in 1985 and there is no real discussion of Pam in many of episodes of the original series. Cliff goes to look for his daughter, but the daughter never joins the cast. [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Cliff makes a comment that he should have been around for his daughter. So, if we say 1991 is when dallas was ended then that would have made Cliff daughter's age of 6. I also do not believe she is mention in the movies (maybe someone can confirm that point). Lets say Cliff was not around for 16-18 years of his daughter life and probably came when she was early to late teenager. [/SPOILER]

#232 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 05:49 AM

Go to http://www.ultimatedallas.com for lots of info on the March 11th episode. I have watched Dallas live but after this episode I may watch recorded broadcasts. I am in for this years DVDs. I did not like last week episodes with Larry it was as pointed out in the Dallas 2013 thread pieced together. I wish they had not done that. I still say the series cannot go on without Larry. The series would not have even been done if Larry had not been a part of it. The producers said so. The show for me is going down week after week after week in quaility. I only saw maybe a few stand out scripts this season. I just have to much else to do to watch Dallas without Larry. I still say I wish them luck and would never hope a show would end just because I might not like it. I wish Fox would consider Peyton Place as their first tv show for MOD. Warners is doing Falcon Crest and as Charles stated when he first started this thread " why not the show that started all the night time soaps" be released. I also would love to see the Lana Turner Harold Robins soap mini series the Survivors from the 60s and the Long Hot Summer was a nice summer replacement show for Fox on ABC back in the 60s. But give us Peyton Place Fox or to another company who can do a package deal on the cheap.

#233 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 04:27 PM

I am still watching Dallas 2013 LIVE.  I thought i would make my second post here since Voyage and Peyton Place were the first two posts i did ever make here.  I think all the fans help on Voyage got us that 4th year.  I wish the Peyton Place fans would turn out the sam way and then Fox just might consider giving it to Shout at a rate Shout can pay.

#234 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 03:35 PM

Dallas 2013 ends April 15th in a 2 hour finale.  Dallas TNT cliffhanger synopsis episodes at http://www.ultimatedallas.com.  3 more Mondays and it will be over.  I wonder if the ratings have been going down or up as now the end is in sight.

The show still reminds me of Peyton Place when Martin Peyton left the show.  The last episodes were much like Dallas and the show even held a funeral for Peyton and fought over his estate in the last season. He left at the start of season 4 for the Boston Clinic and the show went to season 5 where they still talked about him as they do JR on Dallas.

#235 of 424 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,432 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 02:31 PM

Dallas 2013 ends April 15th in a 2 hour finale.  Dallas TNT cliffhanger synopsis episodes at http://www.ultimatedallas.com.  3 more Mondays and it will be over.  I wonder if the ratings have been going down or up as now the end is in sight.

The show still reminds me of Peyton Place when Martin Peyton left the show.  The last episodes were much like Dallas and the show even held a funeral for Peyton and fought over his estate in the last season. He left at the start of season 4 for the Boston Clinic and the show went to season 5 where they still talked about him as they do JR on Dallas.

Mark, the Rating have been consistent with a little spike up for JR, but not much. The highest ratings were when the show first came out. The remainder episodes have great build up, especially with last episode detailing the killer. Dallas 2012 has two main characters of ryland and Barnes. Barnes is a linked to the past and Ryland is a link to current cast.

#236 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi Paul, thanks for the update.  Lots of talk going on at ultimatedallas.com and a preview of the finale.  Here is one that i have enjoyed reading. 

http://www.forkies.com/   

Peyton Place fans remember James Rosin has an updated version of his book on Peyton Place.  The book is very nice look at what went on behind the scenes of the classic series. You can get the book at Amazon. Rosin also an actor appeared on The Edge of Night and Mannix

#237 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:33 AM

I agree with almost all of Dan's thoughts.  Have a look it is a long read but he hits the target on what Dallas 2013 is for me. His thoughts on what Southfork looks like are right on the money.

http://thereturnofda....wordpress.com/

Peyton Place did an actor switch with Martin Peyton no less.  We all were happy when George after his illness was able to resume the role.  Sir Wilfred Hyde White did one heck of a job though.

#238 of 424 OFFLINE   tracyedgar

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi all - I haven't been on much recently, but would like to say that I am loving every delicious moment of the new "Dallas". I don't think it will be canceled. Ratings are better since JR's funeral and TNT feels that season 2 has been very successful considering that it started during the winter. They feel that had they started it in the summer like season 1, the ratings would be up there. The show has been "must-see" the past few weeks.Now--a question. Can anyone tell me when Dynasty season 7 will be released? The time lapses between releases are ridiculous. I realize this question is wrong for this thread, but if someone could direct me to the Dynasty thread, I'd be very grateful. I couldn't find it through a simple site search.

#239 of 424 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 09:01 AM

Welcome back Tracy!!! Here is the active thread on Dynasty and other news. Nice thoughts on your support of Dallas 2013. I hope the show goes on but when JR left i decided to stay until end of season and that would be it for my viewing. Here is all I could dig up on Dynasty. Why we do not have it in the US right now I do not know. http://www.amazon.co...ynasty season 7 http://www.hometheat...nnounced/page-8 http://www.tvshowson...ws/Dynasty/1298 Peyton Place went through this recast and new cast members but the shows original viewers left it in it's last year.

#240 of 424 OFFLINE   tracyedgar

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the help Mark! I'm STILL waiting for a Peyton Place release but have all but given up hope. I do have all 14 seasons of Dallas, plus the Dallas movie collection, and season 1 of the new Dallas. I will buy season 2 when it's released. I've been waiting patiently for every ridiculously long awaited season of Dynasty, the Colbys, and Zknts Landing. My Mom SOOO enjoys watching with me, but she's not getting any younger and has actually said sadly, "By the time they release more Dynasty and The Colbys, I'll probably be gone." How heartbreaking that is for me to hear that! Makes me want to meet with the CBS/Paramount Execs and wring their necks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users