What's new

To be blunt: Is there an affordable 42 inch HD plasma that doesn't suck? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have $3500 burning a hole in my pocket- and a 42 inch 16:9 space on my mantle just begging for a flat panel television.

I was looking at the new Panasonic 7UY, the sleek look and industrial purposing got me all damp-- but then they showed up with the flawed svideo black level issue (that also affects component inputs) and this has me worried, not to mention the need for additional add ons to use DVI. I have tried to get excited about the cheaper ED sets, but I really want something that can do HD somewhat close to full resolution...

So, then, it was the Dell W4200HD. But it seems that 75% of the owners who post on AVS have developed a dead pixel line and the damn things wonare backordered for 2 months. I have one on order but am considering cancelling.

So, then, then new Vizio... but with the pricetag being kinda low and the reviews being somewhat mixed-- a complete no name product- I dunno if I can feel comfy buying one. Seems almost TOO cheap to be good- a decent set for the bedroom- but I wanted somwthing a bit more solid for the main room.

So, this begs the question: Is there really a decent $3000 plasma HD set that is available now? Is this just a bad time to go looking to spend mid-range money?

I've read tons of threads on specific models on AVS and the few that have popped up here, but just wondered the general question: I a decent HD plasma an unrealistic expectation at $3500?

-Vince

SimiA

Second Unit
Have you checked out these:
Pioneer PDP-434CMX

Phillips 42PF9966

JVC PD-42WX84
Vb

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well...

- Probably a panny panel (same parent company), good good. Although I have read it's the old generation with lower contrast than the new ones.

- I can't find one locally to look at. Can't find any online place I like with a good price (amazon is $3000 but i'd rather buy from a plasma specialty shop- and TV authority's price is 5 grand).

- I've heard of blow-out pricing on these from various places but have been unable to find a good deal. Any tips?

- Lots of shitty reviews on amazon (yes, i know, HUGE grain of salt).

- Just seems like an older model, year old panel, lacking in contrast and pop. Same as panny's 6uy units?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
If you wait a year, you will find more choices in your price range.

LCD's/Plasmas are expected to drop 20-30% over the next year.

I cant think of any 42 inch true Plasmas for $3000, especially if go retail like Circuit City/Best Buy. I couldnt even get a true HDTV 37 inch Plasma for $3000 total. Close to that, but not 42.

Vizio? People tend to laugh these types of tv's off. I have never seen one, but I have found products with good reviews to be bad for me and that I didnt like. I can only imagine what a product is like that is mixed negative reviewed.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Your best bet to find something close to your price point might be a Costco. Different stores have different items at different times....so it'd take some shopping. On occasion they do have panels from the major players at pretty good prices.

Mort

SimiA

Second Unit
Ya know Vince, if I'd have suspected your tastes were so demonstrative, I would have thought more before I posted.:D
I suspect, you should heed Ryan Wishton's advice...wait!!!
Cheers,Vb:)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little out of the plasma loop since I ended up with my X1 instead of the ED Panny plasma last year, but I know that NEC commerical panels were very well regarded last year, and sourced from Panny glass IIRC. I did read about the s-video brightness problem on the Panny 7UYs at AVSforum a while back, as I try to keep up for the day I have spare $$ for a daylight viewing device to complement my pj...

The brightness problem would probably irritate me to no end - the little things like that tend to get to me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Vince

Have you considered the Sony KE-42M1?

I don't know if it has DVI input. Also, it is an ED TV rather than HD, however, the video engineers at Consumer report said it had as good a picture on HD material as the top rated HD plasmas. It goes for $3,000 around here and I would get one in a minute if I needed anything other than my Toshiba 65H84.

Artie

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well, Vizio is LG glass (Zenith)-- so it would be little difference, in theory, from the hundreds of other name-brand sets that use the same panel... There are many value producers who make excellent products without a mass-consumer brand name- you just have to know enough to figure out who's parts are the source.

-V

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Vince, does this new display have to be a plasma panel? What about more conventional stuff that performs better (i.e., CRTs)? Or a nice DLP RPTV?

Or is some sort of flat-panel deal the thing here?

SimiA

Second Unit
Vince, you say:
"you just have to know enough to figure out who's parts are the source".

How much research does one have to do in order to figure out "whose" panel is the best???
Personally, my eyes have given me the best judgement!!!
Please understand, this is a legit question.
I understand your quest for the best, but, some of us have already found it.
This may not be what you've discovered so far.
You, although maybe in a quest for the best in your price range, might have to up your standards, and your price point.
My response is also predicated on the responses I've seen @ AVS.
I hope this will give you more food for thought, than inferring my being antagonistic.
:D
Vb

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Vince I have the Panny ed set. and it is as sharp as a hd set. The brightness issue does not affect the ed sets. It is the best plasmas out there. At first I didn't understand the blacks problem with alot plasmas till i started shopping for one. No one comes close to the Panny ed set it that cost range. You will not be disappointed with a Panny ed set.:emoji_thumbsup:

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The problem with the $3500 budget is it's really inbetween two sweet spots. The majority of the 42" sets really should be low $2k, and the 50" start at $4k. I'd personally check out that P42HDe from Costco, or save up a bit more and step up to some of the 50" choices (if that'll fit on your mantle).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks