Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

To be blunt: Is there an affordable 42 inch HD plasma that doesn't suck?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 08:18 PM

I have $3500 burning a hole in my pocket- and a 42 inch 16:9 space on my mantle just begging for a flat panel television. I was looking at the new Panasonic 7UY, the sleek look and industrial purposing got me all damp-- but then they showed up with the flawed svideo black level issue (that also affects component inputs) and this has me worried, not to mention the need for additional add ons to use DVI. I have tried to get excited about the cheaper ED sets, but I really want something that can do HD somewhat close to full resolution... So, then, it was the Dell W4200HD. But it seems that 75% of the owners who post on AVS have developed a dead pixel line and the damn things wonare backordered for 2 months. I have one on order but am considering cancelling. So, then, then new Vizio... but with the pricetag being kinda low and the reviews being somewhat mixed-- a complete no name product- I dunno if I can feel comfy buying one. Seems almost TOO cheap to be good- a decent set for the bedroom- but I wanted somwthing a bit more solid for the main room. So, this begs the question: Is there really a decent $3000 plasma HD set that is available now? Is this just a bad time to go looking to spend mid-range money? I've read tons of threads on specific models on AVS and the few that have popped up here, but just wondered the general question: I a decent HD plasma an unrealistic expectation at $3500? -Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   SimiA

SimiA

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 08:34 PM

Have you checked out these: Pioneer PDP-434CMX Phillips 42PF9966 JVC PD-42WX84 Vb
37 & 42" PWD6UY's
Mits HC 3000 FP
30" Apple Cinema LCD

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 09:30 PM

Well...
- Probably a panny panel (same parent company), good good. Although I have read it's the old generation with lower contrast than the new ones. - I can't find one locally to look at. Can't find any online place I like with a good price (amazon is $3000 but i'd rather buy from a plasma specialty shop- and TV authority's price is 5 grand). - I've heard of blow-out pricing on these from various places but have been unable to find a good deal. Any tips? - Lots of shitty reviews on amazon (yes, i know, HUGE grain of salt). - Just seems like an older model, year old panel, lacking in contrast and pop. Same as panny's 6uy units?

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:38 AM

If you wait a year, you will find more choices in your price range. LCD's/Plasmas are expected to drop 20-30% over the next year. I cant think of any 42 inch true Plasmas for $3000, especially if go retail like Circuit City/Best Buy. I couldnt even get a true HDTV 37 inch Plasma for $3000 total. Close to that, but not 42. Vizio? People tend to laugh these types of tv's off. I have never seen one, but I have found products with good reviews to be bad for me and that I didnt like. I can only imagine what a product is like that is mixed negative reviewed.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 11:14 AM

Your best bet to find something close to your price point might be a Costco. Different stores have different items at different times....so it'd take some shopping. On occasion they do have panels from the major players at pretty good prices. Mort

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   SimiA

SimiA

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 11:55 AM

Ya know Vince, if I'd have suspected your tastes were so demonstrative, I would have thought more before I posted.Posted Image
I suspect, you should heed Ryan Wishton's advice...wait!!!
Cheers,VbPosted Image
37 & 42" PWD6UY's
Mits HC 3000 FP
30" Apple Cinema LCD

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 12:51 PM

I'm a little out of the plasma loop since I ended up with my X1 instead of the ED Panny plasma last year, but I know that NEC commerical panels were very well regarded last year, and sourced from Panny glass IIRC. I did read about the s-video brightness problem on the Panny 7UYs at AVSforum a while back, as I try to keep up for the day I have spare $$ for a daylight viewing device to complement my pj... The brightness problem would probably irritate me to no end - the little things like that tend to get to me.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 04:43 AM

Vince Have you considered the Sony KE-42M1? I don't know if it has DVI input. Also, it is an ED TV rather than HD, however, the video engineers at Consumer report said it had as good a picture on HD material as the top rated HD plasmas. It goes for $3,000 around here and I would get one in a minute if I needed anything other than my Toshiba 65H84. Artie

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   SimiA

SimiA

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 04:47 AM

The KE-42M1 doesn't have DVI, but it does offer HDMI. Vb
37 & 42" PWD6UY's
Mits HC 3000 FP
30" Apple Cinema LCD

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 05:05 AM

Well, Vizio is LG glass (Zenith)-- so it would be little difference, in theory, from the hundreds of other name-brand sets that use the same panel... There are many value producers who make excellent products without a mass-consumer brand name- you just have to know enough to figure out who's parts are the source. -V

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 03:54 AM

Vince, does this new display have to be a plasma panel? What about more conventional stuff that performs better (i.e., CRTs)? Or a nice DLP RPTV? Or is some sort of flat-panel deal the thing here?

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   SimiA

SimiA

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 04:21 AM

Vince, you say:
"you just have to know enough to figure out who's parts are the source".

How much research does one have to do in order to figure out "whose" panel is the best???
Personally, my eyes have given me the best judgement!!!
Please understand, this is a legit question.
I understand your quest for the best, but, some of us have already found it.
This may not be what you've discovered so far.
You, although maybe in a quest for the best in your price range, might have to up your standards, and your price point.
My response is also predicated on the responses I've seen @ AVS.
I hope this will give you more food for thought, than inferring my being antagonistic.
Posted Image
Vb
37 & 42" PWD6UY's
Mits HC 3000 FP
30" Apple Cinema LCD

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   andrew lewis

andrew lewis

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 03:09 PM

Lg has a 42 inch HD plasma for 3600 right now.
YES I will sell you on a Hitachi, and YES I will sell you the warranty as well.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 09:21 AM

Vince I have the Panny ed set. and it is as sharp as a hd set. The brightness issue does not affect the ed sets. It is the best plasmas out there. At first I didn't understand the blacks problem with alot plasmas till i started shopping for one. No one comes close to the Panny ed set it that cost range. You will not be disappointed with a Panny ed set.Posted Image

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:36 PM

The problem with the $3500 budget is it's really inbetween two sweet spots. The majority of the 42" sets really should be low $2k, and the 50" start at $4k. I'd personally check out that P42HDe from Costco, or save up a bit more and step up to some of the 50" choices (if that'll fit on your mantle).
Home Theater Forum Sponsor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users