-

Photo

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release-

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
529 replies to this topic

#41 of 530 OFFLINE   Rutgar

Rutgar

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 05:40 AM

What I don't get, is why are studios picking sides in this upcoming "Format War" in the first place? Why not just release the titles in both? After all, they're still dual releasing titles in DVD and VHS.

#42 of 530 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 07 2005 - 05:41 AM

VAN HELSING before the Classic Monsters, which do need better transfers? It's clear to see who these titles are aimed at but even if these look 1000x better than right now, it's going to take a lot more for me to upgrade. I'd buy three titles on that list but thankfully they already look pretty good now so I'll sit this one out.

#43 of 530 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 05:58 AM

I'll hold my decision until the prices are within normal consumer range or at least $399. I just bought an SVS sub and a 42" LCD. The wife will have me sleeping outside if I ask for a $1k DVD player that only plays 1 format. Posted Image

#44 of 530 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:02 AM

Im waiting it out like everyone else. IF I had to pick one based on what Ive heard it will be Blu-Ray.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#45 of 530 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:07 AM

I'm think I'm far away from any type of HD-DVD or Blu Ray DVD player since I still need to buy a DVD Recorder or two among other things (the current computer (I'm using) will need to be replaced sooner or later). Anyway, I think I will wait it out and wait for player prices to drop.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#46 of 530 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:09 AM

While I have no dobt that HD will blow away standard def, I still find that a well-mastered SD-DVD looks fantastic. For that matter, I still watch LDs, and enjoy them as much as when I got them.... Part of me hopes that both HD-DVD and BluRay tank, and gives those greed-mongers at the MPAA a huge black eye. Then, out of the ashes, a next, NEXT generation standard emerges, borne out of common sense. Looks like it's 480p for the foreseeable future in my HT... (man, if those mental giants only knew how much business they were losing)...Posted Image
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#47 of 530 OFFLINE   Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:10 AM

Hmm, I might hold off on my plan to buy the Star Trek: First Contact SCE dvd coming in March in this case, but I think my reluctance to take part in a format war will keep me on the regular dvd wagon for now.

#48 of 530 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:14 AM

I'm really pulling for Blu-Ray here. I just hope that I have enough will power to NOT buy an HD-DVD player pending the release of the Blu Ray unit.

I've got the will power.

By the way, aren't some studios already on record stating that they will not promise exclusivity to one format or the other? That's going to muddy the waters even farther.

#49 of 530 OFFLINE   Harold Southard

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
What may really hamper early adoption is if the HD is only available via HDMI connections

I think everyone knows why they are only using HDMI, to copy protect it. I will not buy untill it goes under $500, even if we only had the one formate.

#50 of 530 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
I think everyone knows why they are only using HDMI, to copy protect it.

... and this is a by-product of the MPAA's paranioa. Sales stats have constantly shown that piracy barely makes a dent in overall sales, in spite of what their greed suggests to be the case...
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#51 of 530 OFFLINE   Harold Southard

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
... and this is a by-product of the MPAA's paranioa. Sales stats have constantly shown that piracy barely makes a dent in overall sales, in spite of what their greed suggests to be the case...

I agree. It's sad.

#52 of 530 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:40 AM

If it barely makes a dent, how big does the dent need to be before it is legitimate for a company to fight theft without being accused of being greedy?

#53 of 530 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:41 AM

Quote:
What may really hamper early adoption is if the HD is only available via HDMI connections

I guess I wasted a lot of money buying an HDTV ready set then if HD signals will not be made available via Component video.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#54 of 530 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:46 AM

Ernest, I am in no way suggesting that they don't have every right to fight theft (and I am fully behind hitting the thiefs hard with lawsuits). I am only saying that the "gloom and doom" figures they tout as the result of piracy is inflated unrealistically high. Besides, I know that I am not alone in being more than a little bitter...

And as far as "how big the dent needs to be"..... even one theft is one to many AFAIAC...
Peace... Derek

#55 of 530 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:58 AM

Quote:

Wait a second. So you're saying if my Mitsubishi 55809(I think that's the model number) doesn't have these HDMI connections, I can't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs?
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#56 of 530 OFFLINE   Harold Southard

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
If it barely makes a dent, how big does the dent need to be before it is legitimate for a company to fight theft without being accused of being greedy?

The point is they are going to pirate it no matter what you do. They will find away around it. The HDMI only thing hurts the people who are PAYING for it. Many have already got HD tv's and should not have to buy another just because they don't have HDMI. I am lucky to have HDMI, but would like the option to use another conection if I choose to.

#57 of 530 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 07:01 AM

My cousin lost his job in the music industry about five years ago thanks in part to the rise in file swapping and music piracy, and an old friend of mine in the film business had his computer hacked by a movie rumour site looking for info, so computer theft is a subject I'm a bit sensitive to.

I don't think that any private commercial enterprise that protects itself from theft is being greedy, even if it is nothing more than a single piece of gum from a convenience store. It's too bad that there are dishonest people in the world that spoil the party for everybody else, but don't blame the studios for being greedy, blame the thieves and internet pirates and file swappers for making the studios sensitive to protecting their assets in the first place.

#58 of 530 OFFLINE   Harold Southard

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 07:02 AM

Just a after thought. Put a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive in you HTPC. Then your can use what ever connection you like. I saw a link somewhere that said HD-DVD drives will hit the market soon.

#59 of 530 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 07:06 AM

Dell and Hewlett-Packard are both supporting Blu-Ray DVD. I haven't heard anything about them supporting this hybrid HD-DVD tech.

#60 of 530 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Wait a second. So you're saying if my Mitsubishi 55809(I think that's the model number) doesn't have these HDMI connections, I can't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs?

Bingo.

Actually, the way things are looking, the HD players will output along component, but it will be down-rezzed to SD DVD...
Peace... Derek

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow