-

Photo

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release-

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
529 replies to this topic

#21 of 530 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
It is just disgusting that the industry could not agree on just one format, and as a result, are
going to prevent early adopters like myself from investing in a new format that requires having to buy two players.

Hey, that's Hollywood for ya! So greedy, yet so uncoordinated!

We're a tiny bit on the outskirts of this here in England but still, I'm not going to give Hollywood the satisfaction of ANOTHER $30-$40 for the SAME films over again, only to be tempted to upgrade to SEs (when they decide they can fit lotsa special features aswell) and THEN maybe having to duplicate titles across platforms if one of them fails to take off (and one of them is BOUND to fall away after a few years).

Let's say Blu-Ray succeeds and HD-DVD fails. Unlikely but you never know (the superior format never wins!). If Blu-Ray is significantly better, and the old HD-DVD titles start coming out on Blu-Ray are you seriously telling me you're NOT going to buy all of these over again on Blu-Ray? C'mon, the temptation will be too great.

I'm tired of continually upgrading my existing collection (yes, I bought hundreds of laserdiscs). I want to EXPAND my library, not copy it! And SD-DVD is the best way to do that right now and, I think, for the foreseeable future.

Besides which, many of the titles listed above are junk. I mean Catwoman? Soldier? Gothika? Red Planet? Tomb Raider? Van Helsing? Wild Wild West? Waterworld? Why have we started putting the "oooh" and "aaah" factor of HD picture before the quality of the films themselves?

This is all kinda scary!

John

PS. Have you seen the new players? They're a cross between retro 80s and downright ugly!

#22 of 530 OFFLINE   Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 01:40 AM

I'd buy:

Alexander
Austin Powers
Batman Begins
Harry Potter 1
Last samurai
Matrix
North by Northwest
Seven
Italian Job
Sky Captain
Braveheart
Mission Impossible 2
Bourne Supremacy
Apollo 13
Conan the Barbarian

But overall not enough so far to make me be an early adopter. I was hoping for a few more classic titles. Lets see what Bluray offers as a counter offer!

If the Playstation 3 will play bluray movies - then I will be an early adopter of Bluray anyway no matter what.
Likewise if Microsoft makes Xbox2 Hd-dvd compatible then I will also be an early adopter of HD-DVD. I wish they will say what format they will adopt. Sony has said Playstation3 will be blu-ray for games but has not explicitly said it will play Blu-ray movies. yet...

#23 of 530 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 02:02 AM

All I know is..... no Firewire, no go....Posted Image
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#24 of 530 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 02:20 AM

I'm assuming these will all be "bare bones" releases to be followed by inevitable SE's at a later date?

I think in the case of Million Dollar Baby and Batman Begins, they will be identical to the standard DVDs released, with the same features, maybe including an extra trailer or two to give the impression people are getting more with their choice of HD-DVD.

As for the older titles, these are already "double dips" for most of us, so why would we buy a bare bones version of the Matrix films when we've got the uber-version already on DVD, just not in HD? I don't anticipate bare bones titles, I think that would be foolish -- and therefore, I'm rooting for bare bones HD-DVD titles, since I'm backing Blu-Ray all the way.

#25 of 530 OFFLINE   Aaron Thorne

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 02:24 AM

I agree with Ron as well.

Also, I recently purchased an Panny Plasma ED display which is great for DVD but doesn't have the resolution for HD even though it accepts 1080i and 720p signals. So upgrading to HD-DVD with my current display would be pointless. I won't be upgrading to whatever format wins until 1080P displays are readily avilable and affordable.

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain.
For we've received orders to sail back to Boston.
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

#26 of 530 OFFLINE   PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 02:28 AM

I think it's a great initial list with some real eye candy listed, although whoever is in charge at Warner is a big Steven Seagal fan, considering 4 of his movies are listed. Can't wait to hear more about these titles and the format in the months to come!

#27 of 530 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
I don't anticipate bare bones titles, I think that would be foolish.

Here's what I reckon will happen with catalogue titles (which, let's face it, accounts for 90% of a studio's home theatre output):

ROUND 1: Hollywood will count on consumers buying these titles simply for the HD quality. They'll figure most of us will already have the DVD loaded with extras so they'll cash-in purely on the improved picture/sound quality. It'll be like D-VHS but on a larger scale. Besides which, will they really want the hassle of re-mastering ALL of those many hours of documentaries in HD so that they don't look like shit compared to the main feature?

ROUND 2: Once consumers become accustomed to HD picture/sound they'll start missing the extensive documentaries and other nice features. The studios will oblige by re-issuing their HD titles with the "old" DVD content (much like the Alien Quadrilogy recycled the laserdisc archives).

That is, of course, assuming either of these formats go the distance. What happens with day/date new releases... well who knows? But you can bet they'll try and get away with milking them for all they're worth!

This is Hollywood remember. They're going to want you to re-buy these titles at least 3 times over.

This is just my own personal view of what's on its way...

John

#28 of 530 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 02:52 AM

I've seen some of these on HD-TV broadcasts, and they look spectacular. But given that HD-DVD by most accounts is the lesser of the two potential HD formats, I feel very ambivalent about this.

I'm actually hoping Sony gets all mercenary on their asses, but at least announcement-wise it seems that HD-DVD has gotten the drop. Of course, Warner and the DVD-Forum group made all sorts of big announcements about DVD-A releases, which were ultimately delayed/cancelled while Sony flooded the market with SACD titles and even subsidized smaller studios in producing SACD. So, assuming that Blu-ray is superior, I'd say there's still hope.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#29 of 530 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 03:53 AM

I bet, though, that once people see these films in HD-DVD, then the chips will fall. I'm encouraged by these announcements, but Ron's comments are equally valid.

#30 of 530 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 03:58 AM

The initial selection is ok, but I have some of it already on D-VHS tape. And I refuse to buy two players. Before there is a good dual format player I will ignore HD-DVD.
And if these are 15 GB low bit rate versions I will pass too. I already have 'low bit rate' versions galore on tapes.

#31 of 530 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:10 AM

Are we lookin at another BETA vs VHS format war? No, this looks to be much worse.

It looks like there are heavy hitters that support both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, so in the long run what if both formats co-exist? Two players is obsurd but there are people out there willing to buy into it.

I think in the end there will be some kind of combination player (two different lasers) that plays both Blue-Ray and HD-DVDs and that's what we will be stuck with. I don't see either format going away unless one or the other sees how much they would be hurting consumers by not supporting the other format. This will never happen since we all know this market is driven by greed.

I for one am sticking with sd-dvds, there are still titles that need to be released and still more that need to be released in their OAR.

#32 of 530 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,956 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:21 AM

I have seen Blu-Ray DVD along with
50 other members of this forum while
out in Los Angeles late last year.

If all of you had the chance to see
how utterly amazing the picture quality
of this format is, I would bet most all
of you would easily drop $1000 to get
your hands on this technology TODAY.

I know many of you are going to sit
it out for a while to see which technology
wins. I join you in your game plan.

Problem is, I don't see a winner.
The way it looks now, both formats are
equally supported by major studios. I
really can't say one format has the better
studio line-up over the other. If I had
to gamble, I'd say Fox is going to join
the Blu-Ray format (though I have no
information on this whatsoever).

Who in their right mind is going to
want to go into this format knowing
they are going to have to buy two
expensive players in order to get all
their favorite films?

What's crazy about all this is that
this is a decision facing US -- the
early adopters who would gladly dive
into this format head first and help
spread the gospel of its merits across
the internet.

If WE, the early adopters are hesitant
to buy these players, how do you think
the general public is going to feel about
having to buy two players?

This is really ludicrious, and actually,
it never really hit me on the head about
how crazy and greedy Hollywood is until I
saw this post today and realized I can't
support two separate formats.

Personally, I would love Home Theater Forum
to be the sounding board for the next
HI-DEF format. People look up to this
forum -- they value our opinions. The success
of the DVD format was born out of forums
like this. Show us something worthy and
we'll talk it up.

What message of hope can we bring to the
masses of consumers when we ourselves are
hesitant about buying into a format that
is at war with itself?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#33 of 530 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:26 AM

Looking at the titles, I see quite a few I would get right away, and I will probably jump into the HD-DVD waters as soon as possible. My wife is going to kill me, but she really LOVES The Phantom of the Opera movie and that might push her over the top toward getting our HT into this new format, BUT if Fox goes Blu Ray and Star Wars is released....DANG!Posted Image

The Phantom of the Opera
Black Rain
Grease
Star Trek: First Contact
The Thing
Backdraft
Dante's Peak
Pitch Black
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#34 of 530 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:28 AM

Well said Ron. Everything you said is absolute truth.

I will say this though. My decision on which format I'll ultimately choose really stems on which format will have The Star Wars Saga. I know it sounds dumb to pick a format based on a set of films but that's where it's at for me. If I didn't have a single DVD and I had to choose which format I'd go with, I'd pick the one with Star Wars.

Now, when it comes to the specs on both formats, Blu-Ray wins hands down to me. But, we'll all just have to wait and see.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#35 of 530 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,512 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:35 AM

Count me as another who will be waiting on the sidelines until the format war is over. I will not purchase multiple players, nor invest in software that may become the next Betamax as the loser in this pissing match between manufacturers and the studios. Besides, it appears that the studios and manufacturers have decided that my current HD-ready TV is not worthy of their new offering, since it does not have the required digital input, and I do not plan on replacing the set for a few years.

#36 of 530 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:51 AM

I'm not sure this will end up like the Beta vs VHS fight, with a single winner. If Blu-Ray takes a lead do you think Warner will switch? Look how long they held onto snapper cases..they've got way more invested in HD-DVD. Sony isn't gonna give in. They NEED Blu-Ray to survive. Their CE biz isn't what it used to be and they have a huge investment in MGM. This could be a prolonged battle.

I'm sure we'll see Dual hd-dvd/blu-ray players, some day. I've got no problem having two HD Disc players. Hell, I have 14 dvd players now as it is. I just want my HD. May the best format win...and let the consumer decide....

#37 of 530 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,016 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:57 AM

If WE, the early adopters are hesitant
to buy these players, how do you think
the general public is going to feel about
having to buy two players?

Exactly. The general public, who have just upgraded to DVDs, will see no reason to do upgrade again. Especially when there's a chance that they will be buying something that will be more or less useless in say five years. And the general public is, without a doubt, the major demographic of studios. So if they don't buy it, it will be dead in the water.

#38 of 530 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
I'm actually hoping Sony gets all mercenary on their asses, but at least announcement-wise it seems that HD-DVD has gotten the drop. Of course, Warner and the DVD-Forum group made all sorts of big announcements about DVD-A releases, which were ultimately delayed/cancelled while Sony flooded the market with SACD titles and even subsidized smaller studios in producing SACD. So, assuming that Blu-ray is superior, I'd say there's still hope.

Well said.

I'm really pulling for Blu-Ray here. I just hope that I have enough will power to NOT buy an HD-DVD player pending the release of the Blu Ray unit.

Hopefully the BRD group will have an announcement regarding the release of titles for that format shortly.

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#39 of 530 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 05:03 AM

Except for Warner Brothers (HD-DVD) and Sony/MGM (Blu-Ray), no other studios that I know of have signed exclusivity contracts with either format.

That leads me to believe the best thing for us to do is to wait it out. We need to not be driven by title listings, but by what the formats can and will do.

Which will have the best audio and video quality? Maximum bitrate 1920x1080p video with no artifacts and other problems associated with DVD, lossless or uncompressed high resolution audio at more than 6 discrete channels, the least intrusive DRM implementation, the highest quality player output, etc.?

That's the name of the game. If Blu-Ray is indeed the best, we must put all our collective weight behind it and not be swayed by "oooh, the other side has Harry Potter, or oooh, this format has Spider-Man 2!" On the other hand if Blu-Ray, for all its potential, drops the ball (they'd have to be some pretty stupid people to do that) then we need to put all our efforts behind HD-DVD.

Once the studios see the market shifting from one to the other then they may jump ship for the winning format... even Warner Brothers if they see revenue slipping away.

And yes, I think you can put good money down that the PS3 will play Blu-Ray movies and games.

There's even talk of one or two of the Blu-Ray manufacturers are already able to create 100 and possibly 200 GB discs, although it might be a few months or even a year or so before they could get high yields.

Dan

#40 of 530 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 05:15 AM

Dropping $1K for a player when there is a format war is problematic enough. What may really hamper early adoption is if the HD is only available via HDMI connections. This appears to be confirmed for HD-DVD. From a CES Day 1 writeup at UltimateAVMag.com:
Quote:
What the world is ready for is some sort of high definition on packaged media. Thomson is aiming to have an HD-DVD player on the market in time for Christmas 2005. So does Toshiba-one of the chief sponsors of the format. A price of $1000 was being tossed around for the first player-only models, with more expensive record-capable models to come later. HD playback, as I guessed in print months ago, will be available only from HDMI digital video outputs of such players and recorder.
I think a lot of us who would be relatively early adopters will have to wait a little longer before upgrading displays. My Pioneer Elite 610 has no DVI or HDMI inputs.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow