-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Two Former Mad Magazine Cartoonists Pass Away

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 11:28 AM

Illustrators Will Eisner and Paul Kelly Freas have passed away within days of each other.

For Mr. Eisner go to:

http://www.willeisner.com/

Frank Elly Freas:

http://www.kellyfrea...set_default.htm

Both men worked at Mad Magazine as well as producing art for myriad publications.

RIP Gentlemen.

#2 of 4 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:16 PM

I wasn't aware that Eisner ever worked for Mad (either in its original comic book form or its later full-sized magazine version) Do you know when he was there? (His bio on his official site makes no mention of it)

Both men were terrific and their passing represents a real loss to the artform, regardless of exactly where each worked. When Frank Miller made such a splash years ago with Daredevil and later The Dark Knight Returns for his cinematic story-telling, some of us could see the enormous debt he owed to Will Eisner's work (especially The Spirit.)

(And Miller himself acknowledged the debt by inserting several clear Eisner homages into stories during his run on Daredevil.)

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 4 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:06 AM

Kelly Freas was far better known as a master illustrator of science fiction. And I had met the man a number of times back in the '70s and early '80s. He was marvelous. Very sorry to see him go.

#4 of 4 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Kelly Freas was far better known as a master illustrator of science fiction.

Likewise, Eisner was arguably the most important comic book artist ever, and was probably best known for creating The Spirit. I had read that Freas was dying and wasn't surprised by it but my jaw hit the floor when I read that Eisner was gone, too.