What's new

Comprehensive List of Pan & Scan DVDs (Version 3) (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The other thread was getting long, and confusing with talk about different aspect ratios and such, so I have decided to start a new one. It's gonna be a little bit different this time.

I have created a PHP script to handle the list. It is called the OAR Watchdog. I can edit this list much faster than I ever could a thread on a message board. The list is also sortable by title, studio, and year of theatrical release. Please help me keep this list up-to-date. Please look over the list, and post any additions or changes. You can send an e-mail, or reply to this thread. If you submit a new title, please be sure to include the studio and release year in your post.

This purpose of the OAR Watchdog is to list films that were shown theatrically in widescreen, but only given a fullscreen release on DVD. Films that are framed incorrectly are beyond the scope of this list. This list only includes Reigon 1 DVDs.

Open Matte and Super35 films are included, because the theatrical aspect ratio is considered the correct ratio, with few exceptions.

Stanley Kubrick films are not listed. Nor are any other films that are released in 1.33:1 per Director's request.

Animated films framed at 1.66 are not included. The animators painted the cells in this ratio, but the films were matted in the theaters.

1.37:1 films framed at 1.33:1 are not listed.

If a widescreen dvd has been discontinued, leaving only a full screen disc available, it will be considered for inclusion. But before including it, I need to see it on a list of discontinued dvds. The only dicontinued list I can find, at dvdreview.com contains none of the dics in question. If there is a more updated list of discontinued discs, please point me in it's direction.

I would like to thank John Berggren, Scott Weinberg, and Ryan FB for their help in compiling this list.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy 22 of those if they came out OAR. It's sad how much money the studios are throwing away by doing p&s only dvds. :frowning:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
You can add this one to the list...

Blue Collar Comedy Tour (2003) Warner Bros.

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
"Chariots of Fire" !!!

(until the new edition is released, that is)

To add insult to injury, some of these FS titles were actually transferred in Widescreen on European DVDs. Case in point: "Frantic" and "The Sting".

*edit* Also, will you consider Canadian studios as well? "Jesus of Montreal" and other titles also come to mind.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have removed Chariots of Fire from the list, as it has been officially announced.

If it's a R1 release from a Canadian studio, I will add it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
What about a title whose widescreen version is currently OOP?

For example, the only currently available version of "The Last Action Hero" is the P&S transfer; at least as far as I'm aware.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does the fact that Sony/Columbia have been reissuing a number of titles that had both widescreen and full screen versions as full screen only count?

I've just been gouged by Moscow on The Hudson; I'm assuming that a widescreen version is NLA.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The Bridges of Madison County

P&S in R1, but anamorphic widescreen for R2, R4.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The re-released versions with the widescreen version removed, are not the only ones on the market. You just have to look for them. But I wouldn't suggest looking at Wal-Mart or Target. Try Best Buy, or an Internet Retailer.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That's exactly where it came from; from dvdsoon.com where the onsite specs declared ws & fs, but I'm glad to hear that the ws versions are still available.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Some of them may be, some of them may not be. It's hard to tell who has the old copies, and who has the re-issues. I do think someone ought to take some sort of legal action though, as this appears to be consumer fraud.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

This seems to be the problem with "The Last Action Hero". I checked at Amazon and it appears that only the P&S version is currently available.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

The theatrical cut of 'Dances With Wolves' comes to mind, as well as 'Trees Lounge', which is only available now in a fullscreen non-SE.

Also, I believe the true theatrical cut for 'Manhunter' is only fullscreen in R1.

'The Blood of Heroes', released by Lion's Gate, is fullscreen only *and* it's the US cut of the film, which is shorter.

And 'Basket Case' shouldn't be on the list because Hennenlotter has said that he shot the film for 1.33 not realizing that it would be cropped for theaters.

[I tried to E-mail you this, but the E-mail on the website didn't work.]

Incidentally, is the title of the thread really accurate? Most of these titles are open matte, aren't they?

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that's a real problem, especially with that particular disc. I orderd it from Amazon (based on the pic from the site) and thought I was getting the original anamorphic/FS flipper, only to receive a full-screen disc. Sent it for an exchange. Got FS again. Sent it back. Got FS a third time. Finally they refunded my money, but never explained they only had the new, FS edition and nothing else.

I finally got a copy of the old flipper off Ebay last year. I still love that stupid movie... :D

Nick

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Here's some more:

Jesus of Montreal (Koch Lorber) 1989
Grind (Warner Bros.) 2003
Dances With Wolves - Theatrical Version (MGM) 1990
Straight Talk (Walt Disney) 1992
Ponette (Fox Lorber) 1996

Here's some cheap Canadian R1 discs you might find out there, that are P&S

Another Day in Paradise (TVA) 1999
Sirens (Lions Gate) 1994
The Piano (Lions Gate) 1993

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
There a few dvds on that list that are intended to be shown fullscreen.

Humanoids from the Deep, Death Race 2000 and Basket Case are ones I know of off the top of my head. Humanoids from the Deep & Death Race 200O even say in the DVD's booklet that the open matte transfer is the preferred version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks