Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Collector's Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 01:39 AM

Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 01:51 AM

Jason, thanks for your great review. It was also my favorite movie from 2004, and I snatched up the original release right when it came out, so I'm also pissed off by the shameful double-dip. I'm not going to re-buy this one, although I do want to see that second disc, especially after reading your thoughts on it. Maybe all of us Eternal Sunshine addicts on HTF can write to Universal and chew them out for this?

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   George See

George See

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 03:05 AM

I'm waiting for this special edition, I remember first hearing about the special edition 1 week to the day from the tuesday the regular DVD came out. I've been waiting ever since. If I had actually purchased the first dvd on the day it came out i'd be pretty upset at universal for pulling a fast one. Great review!!! Good run down on what's new and what's not for those potential double dippers out there. Posted Image

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted January 05 2005 - 04:13 AM

I don't know what I was waiting for...but it paid off. Still a shameful double dip.
SOLD. I LOVE Kate Winslet, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 04:18 AM

I bought the original on release day and I'll be upgrading and giving the old one away to a friend, since it's exactly the same as the first disc of the 2-disc set. No biggie.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 05 2005 - 04:32 AM

This is... an Academy Screener. A rose by any other name... - Steve

#7 of 20 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,169 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 05:48 AM

I tried to own this SE, but Best Buy didn't get any copies in on Tuesday, and others have reported this shortage at their BBs as well. Strange. But I am not deterred, I will own this SE soon.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 20 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,584 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 05 2005 - 07:06 AM

I'd like to buy this (and generally I don't mind buying re-releases) but the first one came out less than four months ago!

At least let me pretend, for a year or so, that it was worth buying the original discPosted Image

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 01:00 PM

This is a real kick in the groin. I'm going to pass on this one.
Matrix Reloaded isn't deep at all. It's a simple, rehashed concept dressed up in fancy words and designer outfits...

Real World: "I'm hungry as hell, so I'm going to run my ass down to Micky D's to get me a burger and fries."

Matrix 2: "I need sustenance, ergo, move I shall expeditiously...

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 03:16 PM

Nice review, this was an excellent film. I found myself loving it similar to how I loved Lost in Translation last year. Sunshine was number 2 in my top ten. I may try to sell the first disk off to a friend to get the new one.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 09:50 PM

I was able to sell the original disc for a good price (I believe $16-17) immediately after I heard of this CE, so I'll be upgrading this one. No hurries though, and I've ordered it with the upcoming Scorsese set so save on postage.

Let's hope it has its effect on the Academy and grabs some statues. Posted Image
E-Mail | Collection

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 02:53 AM

I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters but the more I remember it, the better it gets. Glad I deliberated and didn't snap up the single disc.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 04:07 AM

I havent seen this movie at all and wanted to get the original version, but figured I would wait for an SE. I am glad I waited, and didnt have to wait that long for that matter. I know this doesnt make things right, but in this day and age, I dont even bother to pick up barebones releases of DVDs anymore, especially newer films becuase you KNOW an SE is coming eventually. Im at that point in my life that I dont need to own a movie the moment it becomes available.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 04:16 AM

In this case, the problem is that the initial release WASN'T barebones. It had a commentary track, some deleted scenes, and several featurettes. The 2nd disc of this new release just adds a few more featurettes and deleted scenes. Had the initial release really been barebones, I would have held off for the inevitable SE, but there was enough on it to warrant the reasonable assumption that there wasn't another release announcement coming within three weeks.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 06:28 AM

This was any easy pass when it was first announced and would only have the soundtrack as the other disc. Knowing that they added something new to the package actually makes me more annoyed. Really, there is no reason to skip out on extras now and then ask for more money not even a year after its been released on DVD.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Bernard E.

Bernard E.

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the review. Any subtitle in the extra disc?

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,455 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 08:21 AM

Not that I recall. I'm sure there aren't English subs, and I'm pretty sure the disc doesn't include any subs period...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 09:32 PM

Doesn't it seem sloppy to just re-release it with an extra disc. Shouldn't all the original extras be moved to disc 2 then the film and soundtrack bit-rate be increased to fill the extra space on disc 1?

This is the most irritating re-release ever. Not only is the film an absolute favourite, but:
1) The packaging is ghastly.
2) The release schedule is insulting and manipulative of true fans.
3) The above gripe about disc space.
4) I've decided to stop repurchasing titles. After recently analysing my expenses I've concluded that I am dangerously addicted to DVD purchasing, and with that in mind buying multiple copies of the same film is pure insanity.

Shame this had to happen with my favourite film of last year. Posted Image
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Aaron Thorne

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 05:43 AM

Your review convinced me to buy this blindly during my lunch break. Can't wait to get home and view it tonight.
Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain.
For we've received orders to sail back to Boston.
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 09:16 AM

Ideally, yes, they'd do this, but they've probably done it the way they've done it to avoid the considerable expense of having to re-author disc one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users