-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Léon The Professional: Deluxe Edition (RECOMMENDED)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

#121 of 127 OFFLINE   Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 01:15 PM

As I posted above I saw problems starting somewhere in chapter 18 until somewhere in chapter 23. When I have some time later this week, I'll try to be more exact.

#122 of 127 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 12:23 AM

Having seen Portman on stage, I guess it REALLY depends on the material because she sucked in that as well.

Perhaps she lacks the imagination for stage and blue-screen.Posted Image
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#123 of 127 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 04:16 AM

Playing devil's advocate (since I may be a bit underwhelmed by Episodes I and II, but still enjoy them overall) there is a well-known phrase in theater, "If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage."
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#124 of 127 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 05:37 AM

That may work for Star Wars but for "The Seagull?" And if you're a theater person, you know what that is Posted Image

#125 of 127 OFFLINE   Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 03:59 AM

I double checked and the video problems, in the form of severe combing, appear to start at exactly the start of chapter 18, and end at the very beginning of chapter 22. The combing problems disappear if I switch my player to interlace mode.

I am not familiar enough with the film to know if these chapters comprise the additional scenes not originally released in the US theatrical version?

How exactly does one look for incorrect progressive flags, and what softwear would be needed?

#126 of 127 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 06:42 AM

Is the problem simply that the disc was encoded with a flagging error that will cause problems with certain DVD players, or is it that the transfer was not made properly from the source (i.e. it was not really mastered in high definition even though the box says so)? Is there a way to tell? I'm willing to take the risk with my player, but I want to know if the transfer was acutally botched no matter what.

#127 of 127 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted February 13 2005 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
Is the problem simply that the disc was encoded with a flagging error that will cause problems with certain DVD players, or is it that the transfer was not made properly from the source (i.e. it was not really mastered in high definition even though the b

This kinda gets technical, compression-wise, but if the encoding for the film was done in sections - or if a certain section came from another source (i.e. deleted scenes from a PAL or video master; I'm not saying it was done here, I have no idea) - then it is possible for a particular area to be improperly flagged.