What's new

(2) SUBS for the price of (1) SVS = something to think about, or laugh at? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in a interesting bind. Currently with the POLK promotions I can purchase (2) BRAND new POLK PSW505's for $589 shipped. My original thought was getting (1) SVS PB12-ISD subwoofer for $599. Although, since SVS does not offer free shipping this would actually make the total cost around $660ish for the SVS.

With that given, how would the concept of just going with the (2) Polk's, which on paper would give me 600 RMS watts, vrs 320 RMS with the SVS. Given how highly touted the SVS products are, would it be a bold claim that (2) POLK PSW505's could match and perhaps exceed the overall experience of the (1) SVS PB12-ISD? My theater room is also very large, I'm trying to keep the cost somewhat down but yet want to really fill things up.

Am I just fooling myself here.. Should I just somehow find another $300 and get the "PB12-ISD/2" for $899? I wish shipping was free :frowning:

let me know what you think would be highly appreciated as I hope to order soon.

Thanks gang!!! :)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
As much as I am a fan of SVsubs (current owner), this would be hard to pass up. You may hear a bunch tech talk arise from this thread about acuracy, boomy sound, etc. So be prepared.

But I will say, you'll always wonder about what if I got the SV sub and how it would have sounded.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike,

Here is a Thread over at the Spot that might be of help?

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...72&Main=579484

I remember a time when I decided to go with dual xyz subs (more substantial than the dual 505's) and then finally decided to check out the 25-31CS+. Was I ever glad I did. With the Polks having a F3 at 28Hz it would take more than a couple by far to achieve the SPL in the lower FW that a $600 offering from SVS would provide. Sound being just as important, if it were my decision. I would go the SVS rout or another more respected subwoofer from another Co.

I understand your thinking, but generally things don't add up so well even though it seems like it does mathematically.:emoji_thumbsup:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
2 subs won't make them sound better or extend deeper.I'm not familiar with these subs[Polk] but prvious models I had investigated didn't exited me at all.The power differences are really meaningless as it's only part of a bigger picture.However if everething equal[rarely is] more power could yield higher spl in the same room,but only at the frequencies that sub can put out to begin with.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Good point Lewis. You just made me more secure in my SVS purchase. :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Should I just somehow find another $300 and get the "PB12-ISD/2" for $899? I wish shipping was free
__________________________________________________ ______

If your the same poster that posted this Thread over at AVS I would recommend most definitely. 20 X 30 room is a good amount to fill and headroom always equates out in your favor.

Nice room.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

There is one advantage in getting 2 subs instead of one. If you have only one sub, standing waves can cause the bass to be louder at certain locations in the room. Having 2 subs will reduce the effect of standing waves. However, if you position your sub carefully this should not be a problem.

I would go with one good sub instead of 2 of lesser quality.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I would rather have extension than volume.

though you might play louder you are still missing out on on the low stuff.

KipG

Grip
Set the SVS B-stock page as your homepage. Everytime you get on the computer check to see whats availabe (they go very fast)
Everytime I have ever looked they were 100$ cheaper.............there ya go.....it will be just like free shipping. ;)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Hey, steve...shall I give one of my sub recommendations?... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

PS. Lewis...greetings from another Inland Empire resident!... :emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hey, steve...shall I give one of my sub recommendations?.:D
__________________________________________________ _____

I'm counting on it Frank! Please dont let me down :laugh:

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator
The PSW-505 is an excellent sub! How can you pass up the chance to get two for the price of one??? I have never heard an SVS sub but I have heard the 505 and it is certainly an excellent buy.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
The SVS will indeed go much lower, and sound better.

Unless you never really crank up the music or movies, I'd get the PB12ISD/2. I have a PB12+/2 in a 23' x 19' room, and at first thought I'd never need anywhere near this much sub. I'm now pushing it pretty hard at times due to proper calibration.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up going with a Infinity HPS-1000, 1000watts 3 15" woofers and down to 17hz. I played prince of egypt last night and some of the scenes (mainly towards the endwith the water going up) created a huge sonic wave, my room is extremely big too.. My mouth was open for atleast a few minutes , to actuall y hear something and now actually REALLY FEEL it is something neat ;)

anyone else have this sub?

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I first heard about the HPS-1000 about five years ago, it also got a nice review in HT Mag. Not many owners here though.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The HPS-1000 can't do 17hz nor it has 3 woofers. It has one 15" woofer and 2X 15" passive radiators which are tuned around 27hz.It does have a tremendous output around 30hz but not much below 25hz at all.I managed to damage the woofer first,[replaced it with a JL audio woofer],then the amp and bought a Mackie pro amp to drive the sub,later sold it as is, to a friend who is very happy with it still.Sorry Mike,but an SVS is simply in another class,but the Infinity is still a decent sub though.

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
I went to polk and checked the manual, the polk 505's have a lower +/-3db range of only 28hz. the lower range they give doesn't even have a range of db's that it's within, kind of like JBL's listings of their subs. You would get more volume with the two polks, but you wouldn't hit the lower octaves like the SVS would, so what good would it do, it wouldn't have the same impact as a SVS sub would. My 2 cents.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator

I will agree, SVS is excellent, although regardless of what HZ the unit is currently working at its another world for ME, and is providing the type of output in which the entire room is a pressure box, providing rushes of sonic blasts in walking scenes for example in iron giant, frankly the thought of even deeper bass is a scary thought ? :frowning:

At the price of $300 I can't complain though, what I'm getting currently has a huge grin on my face and feel I got a good value. If you also notice atleast the PB12 series tends to drop off very quickly at 20hz, only the PB10 seems to be a true gem not dropping the same. Although a 10" regardless of the hz won't be able to pressurize my huge room. Perhaps one day I'll feel the urge to spend $700 more on a SVS (PB12/2) $899+$99 shipping , although currently I can't find any reason to justify that.

Brian:Thomas

Auditioning
I bought a SVS pb/12 for $599+ship. My house is a Key West style and for those of you that don't know the home has a very open plan with 18 foot ceilings. The main area has to be over 7500ft3. The PB12 shakes the whole home. Someone said you can't get 2 so so sub's to = 1 great sub. SVS also has a liberal return policy. Go with the SVS, I think you already know what your heart is telling you.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go and buy all three... :)

Demo them all (two polks and SVS), return whatever you think sounds "worse."

I imagine you should be able to return the polks without any problem, and the SVS you definitely can return if you don't think it sounds better than the Polks.

...but I've always been one that says one better sub is greater than two mediocre subs.

...and from what it sounds like the Polks won't go as low as the SVS, giving you that real punch in the chest type of feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks