What's new

Paradigm makes the best subs ? (1 Viewer)

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator
Went to a Paradigm dealer and they told me Paradigm makes the best subs. When I ask them how about the SVS or HSU sub he said he never heard of them. He also said since you can't go listen to them in a store then they cann't be trusted.
I feel he was just trying to make a sell and not well informed.
He was going to sell me the PDR-10 for $298 which sounded like a good price.
I would like to know peoples opinion on this matter and on the PDR-10.
Do you think thats a good price and a good sub?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
If this guy is that ignorant and cocky I would never buy from him for that reason alone.

But, the PDR series is actually pretty good for its price range. The PS series (which I had for awhile) is not. Then the PW-2200 and Servo-15 are actually pretty good. Best is always subjective.

Just because you can't listen to them in the store does not mean they are bad or can't be trusted. Who would you rather trust, 1 salesperson of hundreds of real users? I was skeptical about SVS for a long time because I could not hear it first (I strongly believe in listening to gear first). But after hearing hundreds (probably thousands) of good comments (and no bad) from people on this (and other) boards I finally took the plunge. I too am now a SVS supporter.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One of the salespeople at my local store not only knew who SVS is, he owns one :) Being a reseller, he doesn't mention that to people though, because then he would cut out his own profit margin.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like any of the PDR series of subs that Paradigm makes. The higher end subs aren't too bad, but then when you get into those prices you should just go with the best for the money SVS or HSU.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The PW2200 and Servo 15 are good subs, but there are a number of good subs in their price range.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
While I agree that saying only one company makes the best sub is an ignorant statement, I would also not blame him for not knowing about an internet only company. There are alot of sales poeple who have never heard of alot of the equipment that's out there. There is just too much.
A good salesman (IMHO) would be more open minded though.
Go somewhere else.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Agreed. A salesperson that knocks another brand that he has never even heard of and knows nothing about isn't the best guy to buy stuff from.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
What stinks is that "going somewhere else" isn't always as easy as it sounds. I'm in a fairly metropolitan area (MD suburbs of DC) and I found 4 places that carried . 2 were close but unbearably arrogant, 1 was a long drive and my wife and I wound up getting into a fight b/c I "wasted the day" and "why didn't I just go get a Bose system", and I believe I was really lucky to find the other place... but they said something very similar when it came to subs. Lots of "if it's only on the Internet, it's a scam," "they're trying to hide something," "Velodyne is the beginning and end when you're talking subs for under $1500..."

In the end I wound up going with all Internet brands.

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I will probable buy a SVS or HSU sub but not sure what speakers to get.
I really like the atoms from paradigm because of sound, size, and price ($150 from the paradigm dealer).The only problem is trying to find a local dealer. I would try another brand from the Internet but not sure which brand would sound similar and around the same price range.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, I'll second the notion on the PDR series... although my experience is with the 8, not the 10. As someone who works in sales, I can attest to the fact that you can never trust someone who is earning a commission to tell you the whole truth all the time. I'm not saying that all people in sales are unethical/immoral/sphincters of the anal regions, etc. What i'm saying is that when dealing with a sales person, a grain of salt is required. If you can find someone in your area who is willing to demo an SVS or HSU, you have just created a personal showroom for the products.

SteveDr

Auditioning
I own the PDR 10- Version 3. I Picked it up for like 350, at that price it is by far the best value in subs. It blows anything from bestbuy, or circuit city away, in any of their price ranges.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Paradigm has good subs but you won't find them in the PDR line. The PDR-10 reaches 10% THD at 42Hz and doesn't make it past 28Hz. My Hsu STF-2 is vastly superior to the PDR-10 it replaced and I'd expect the same from SVS. If ~$300 is your price range check out the Hsu STF-1.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
The STF-1 is not only a solid performer to about 30 Hz in a real room... It also blends well with almost any speaker. There is no way I thought $299 could sound this good... an excellent choice.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I think you may be mistaken...for about $50 more there are two subs that will easily embarrass the PDR-10. The HSU VTF-2 as noted and the Adire Audio Rava are both just $399.

my first sub was a paradigm pdr-12. my next sub was a hsu stf-2. FWIW - i sold the pdr-12 on ebay shortly after the stf-2 arrived.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
1) There is no company I've ever dealt with that I trust more than SVS......no joke. And I'm not talking about audio companies.....I'm talking about any company, anywhere.
2) Not having a local retailer is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to subs.....If you try out an SVS chances are you'll either keep it or buy another one.
3) My first sub was the Paradigm PDR-10. I thought it was a good sub......until the SVS 25-31 literally showed up at the door, walked over to the Paradigm.... and ate it. Seriously. That really happened.
4) The Atoms are great little speakers for the money. John Garcia will soon follow with his obligatory "I prefer the Titans to the Atoms" post, however......just like I advocate for the Atoms in response to his Titan recommendations :D

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator

Why do you think that?
Is there a better speaker for around the same price range?
Infinity primus 150?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks