-

Photo
- - - - -

Odds of R1 releases of Michael Palin's POLE TO POLE or ATWI80D?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 04:33 PM

Palin's finest post-Python work has to be the BBC travelogues (that were available on A&E home video years ago) Pole To Pole and Around The World In 80 Days. PAL versions for both are available from UK and '80 Days' is available from Australia. Any word on these possibly being released by WHV, distributor for all things BBC these days?
I don't like SPAM!

#2 of 4 Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 01:03 AM

BBC America Shop had Around the World... listed as a potential future release about a year ago, but they ditched those speculative entries since that time. My guess is that these two may have rights issues since they were co-productions between the BBC and A&E. It may not be profitable for one side to pay off the other in order to get these stellar series into Region 1. I am almost ready to break down and buy the Region 2 disks, though I am miffed that I can't find the 10-11 pound prices that were seen in early 2004.

#3 of 4 Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 02:40 AM

The best Christmas present I got this year was the complete Michael Palin collection from BBC Home Video, with all of his travel documentaries. I doubt all of these will ever come to Region 1, so I recommend getting a region-free player and importing the discs. I just finished watching Around the World in 80 Days, and although the picture quality isn't great (probably the source material?), it's highly entertaining, and the last disc features a new interview with Palin (as most of the docs do).

I was just watching the first Railway Journeys documentary with Palin from the early 80's, and my first thought was, this will never come to Region 1...I'd be happy to eat my words, though.
My Film Blog: //killthesnark.blogspot.com

#4 of 4 MaraKM

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 03:56 AM

My guess is that these two may have rights issues since they were co-productions between the BBC and A&E.

I don't think these were co-productions. As far as I know, it was just a licensing deal which expired, so the rights are back with BBC.