Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Planning a new Digital Camera

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Daman

Daman

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 06:52 AM

I already own a Fuji Finepix S3000 and am planning to upgrade to a better camera. I had Nikon 8700 or 8800 in mind and wanted to get a second opinion about them. These are both normal digi cams with 8MP res. Another friend of mine suggests to go with Canon Rebel instead which is a DigiSLR. Im not sure what to do. I want a good camera and also want to make sure the money im spending is worth it. I am getting the 8700 at a good deal at around 500 bucks from a website. Please advice what should i do. Thanks! Daman

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,886 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 09:03 AM

Daman,

I suggest taking a look at this old thread to get a better sense of whether you should go w/ a Nikon 8700/8800 (or maybe Canon Pro 1 or Minolta A2) or a DSLR like the D-Rebel (or maybe Nikon D70).

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=202880

The thread doesn't make specific mentions of the 8700/8800, IIRC, but they are comparable to the Canon Pro 1 and Minolta A2. If you do stick w/ a superzoom, all-in-one Nikon, go w/ the 8800 instead of the 8700. The image stabilization of the 8800 should be quite useful unless you normally only shoot moving subjects/objects and changing scenes. The Minolta A2 also has image stabilization. And if I were to choose, I'd probably go w/ the Minolta since it has the brighter lens, more wideangle capability, likely better AF/responsiveness/viewfinder/ergonomics, etc. But personally, I much prefer a DSLR like the Nikon D70 instead.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users