What's new

TV Christmas Specials I Want On DVD (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
OK Guys,

I know Christmas is over and all, but this year I was reminded of how many Christmas specials I watched as a young child are not available on DVD. I have hunted down VHS copies of many of them, and several of those tapes were distributed by FHE (Family Home Entertainment). I would love some sort of "nostalgia" releases that contained some of these specials. Most are less than half an hour (though a couple are longer). Here are the ones I am thinking of...and yes, I know a couple might seem lame, but I watched these innumerable times as a young kid, and having hunted down the VHS tapes, the nostalgia factor is very high for me.

The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas - FULL LENGTH PLEASE - There are two versions of this - the commercially-released version and a TV version my mom taped that has an additional scene where Ted goes into a church. Very touching scene. That version lacks the "Bear Vacation" scene though. I have both on VHS, and do not want to resort to editing my own DVD because the church scene is in horrible shape since that VHS was taped in like 1985.
Bug's Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales - Love This One
Little Rascals Christmas - Nice little story
Cabbage Patch Kinds Christmas No jokes, please. And no, this is not the abysmal new release "Vernon's Christmas" or whatever.
Fat Albert Christmas Special - Available from Time-Life for a while I am told. Supposedly going to be released in 2005. :tup:
Pinnochio's Christmas - Not that great. Though I enjoyed watching it over the holidays. I'd buy it, though I don't know if anyone else would. :)

Oh, and a made-for-TV Christmas movie I would LOVE to see released on DVD in R1 is The Night They Saved Christmas with Jacklyn Smith and Art Carney. This was a staple at Christmastime when I was growing up. It is available in R2. Anyways, these are just some Christmas specials I would like to see released. I mean, I know some are pretty obscure, but hey, Jack Frost (1979) has gotten a release and it is pretty obscure. I know it is not really a Christmas movie, but we always watched it then. Anyone else have any other Christmas specials that you would like to see released?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I'll take the He-Man Christmas special, thank you very much. It'll be worth it to see Skeletor going on about "but I LIKE being evil! I dont want to be good!"

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together
The Star Wars Holiday Special
A Muppet Family Christmas (uncut)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I would love an uncut version of "Muppet Family Christmas" on DVD. I watched the uncut version here in Canada on YTV a few days prior to Christmas and it brought back a lot of fond memories. I found it while channel surfing, otherwise I would've taped it in a heartbeat.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

This has already been released via Goodtimes at a budget price. I'm not sure if it's still in distribution however.

I want all the classic Hanna Barbera Christmas specials starting with "Yogi's First Christmas".

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I think there would be a decent "niche" market for these lesser-known Christmas specials. I am not asking for special features or anything. Just dig up the best transfer they can find and slap them on somoe discs. I would be more than happy...especially considering I have only seen many of them on worn-out VHS tapes. Speaking of budget releases, I also have fond memories of the old Lassie Christmas episodes. I was surprised when I saw a disc called "Lassie's Christmas Tales" at Wal-Mart for $5 right before Christmas. The disc is nothing extraordinary, but it has the episodes I remember and they look as good or better than I have ever seen them before. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Hmm, budget permitting, I'd like to get ALL of the Charlie Brown/Peanuts holiday specials. Snoopy's fight with the lawn chair in A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving still makes my ribs hurt laughing.

Santa VS. the Snowman

The Rankin Bass puppet/claymation specials. Yes, many of them are so cheesy, but a little nostalgia once in a while never killed anyone.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
I second UNCUT "Muppet Family Christmas" and "Yogi's First Christmas"--hate having to find it on Cartoon Network.

Also:

"Father Knows best: Home For Christmas" 1977 TV-movie

"A Very Brady Christmas"

"Miracle on 34th Street" TV-remake with David Hartman and Sebastian Cabot

"American Top 40 Christmas Special"--this is pure dreamland, since this show would be a clearance nightmare...it consisted of "music videos" for iconic Christmas songs, with the visuals taken from old movies, TV specials and cartoons. Heck, I'd just like to SEE this again.

Jason

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'd like to see a disc combining the animated B.C. (based on Johnny Hart's long-running caveman comic strip) Thanksgiving and Christmas specials, originally produced in the mid-1970s.

Also, animator Richard Williams' (WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT, THE THIEF & THE COBBLER) animated adaptation of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, from the early 1970s.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The only ones I need to get on dvd would be Little Drummer Boy:The Second Book and Yes, Virgina there is a Santa Claus. Also, She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown. I just got Twas The Night Before Christmas.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
What about those Andy Williams Christmas Specials with NBC kids from Punky Brewster, Family Ties, Gimmie A Break, Cosby,Silver Spoons, and other series from the 80's plus Topo Gigio?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks