What's new

Velodyne DLSXXXX - Junk? (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting a Velo DLS4000 sub. I've been demoing the DLS3750 and like what I hear but would like just a little more impact. I haven't been hanging out at the HTF too much lately... so I did a search and there is very little mention of Velodyne. No good?

TimB

Agent
I have a DLS-3750 and a friend of mine just bought the 4000. Velodyne make great subs, and both of us are very happy with what we have.

Impact is very strong on mine, has a lot to do with dynamics, crossover, and the volume settings you specify. I have mine setup with some Energy Connoisseurs crossed over at 80 Hz.

Very good LFE effect from the sub.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Velodyne makes some of the finest Subs available. Especially their new Digital Drive Series. I believe you don't see much about Velodyne here for several reasons. One, this is an SVS sponsored forum. Two, since many people here are using there subs mostly for HT, they can get away with a "less musical" subwoofer, and get a lot of "bang for their bucks" by buying less expensive subs.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Geez, not again...

This is simply not true. People in this forum, as in all walks of life, own varying qualities of HT gear. Some are just starting out, some simply don't have the funds for megabuck setups, and some DO have these megabuck setups and enjoy them.

Now back to the original post...Velodyne is a highly-regarded sub manufacturer. While I personally haven't heard either of the subs Tom has mentioned, Velo's sterling reputation does carry a lot of weight.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I have heard this term "less musical" many, many times. Could someone please define it and to make it relevant to the thread, please describe why a Velodyne is "more musical"? I am but a lowly scientist and would like some data on what this "musical" parameter is, for I do not seem to remember it from my long ago accoustical wave physics lessons.

BTW, in reply to a post that does not mention anything about SVS, I find it telling that in an "SVS sponsored forum" the first mention of them is an off handed bash.

Rutgar

Second Unit
I mentioned SVS because almost every thread in this forum is about SVS! Even the original poster alluded to this by saying how little mention there is of Velodyne. Is that because SVS is a better sub? No. It's because they're more economical, and Yes, a forum sponser. And, I hardly thinks it's "bashing" by pointing that out.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

But this one wasn't about SVS, it was about Velodyne. For one who is complaining that every thread is about SVS, I find it funny that you would bring SVS up in a thread about Velodyne. I just thought it ironic...

What about my "less musical" question? Seriously, I'd really like to know what that means.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Just purchased the 4000 - moved up from my JBL PB 10. What a beauty this Velodyne is! With the remote, I can't stop tweaking. My first movie watched was The Haunting - the LFE was incredible.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Distortion is distortion regardless if its a pistol shot or some fine musical piece. Explosions have A TON of high frequency sounds ingrained in them. A boomy sub covers it up. Sad that so many people think of movie effects as just loud low frequency noise. . .

Personally I want the most accurate distortion free subwoofer that I can find regardless of what the source may be. Actually I think a subwoofer for HT must be better at going lower cleaner than it would with music. In that respect most people have it backwards.

I expect it to reproduce the sound thats there regardless wether music or bombs dropping. In my mind there is no difference except the HT sub might be called on to go lower and louder but distortion is not in the equation. IMHO.

As far as to why you dont see as much on Velodyne as you do others in my mind is due to cost period. Many newcomers to the world of subwoofers and HT are just too budget consious. Fact is when looking at the bottom of the pile trying to find the most inexpensive one you are certain to find many that are cheaper and most of those are aimed squarly at this population.

200 bucks will buy scoodles of budget subs where it wont buy many Velodynes. I use a 8in Velodyne in my office simply because I like it and it does a good job in my 9x9 room. Matter of fact it blew away the other bigger subs at CC where I bought it. Actually I thought I was listening to a 12in Polk but they had their buttons mixed up and what I thought was the 12in Polk was the 8in Velodyne. I said I will take it thinking I was buying a much bigger one.

I also have a F1200 Velodyne and I love it too, however at 100watts most sub buyers dismiss it without a shot as they think bigger is better.

Now I have a 2039 SVS connected to an Adcom GFA-565 and for the money I dare you to do better, you wont.

However in the world of real subs, I mean in the over 1000.00 pile Velodyne ranks right up there with the best of them. I think it becomes a matter of opinion once you reach that point.

Somebody help me out here as this is turning in to a longer than necessary post and I am having trouble getting it out right. Short story is that Velodynes are great subs, SVS are great subs, as are many, many others.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate the comments so far. PLEASE don't turn this into a debate. :frowning:

I know that Velodyne has made some fine subs over the years. What I want to know.. is whether the DLS series a good sub? $600 (for DLS4000) is not expensive in my mind.. Is it a good value compared to other $600 subs?

TimB

Agent
Yes, Velodyne makes great subs. Like I said in mine, my audiophile buddy heard my DLS-3750 hooked up, and went and bought a 4000 for his room. Pick it up, you'll thank yourself once you pop in your first DVD or music source :)

'More musical" is another imprecise term that basically means that I like how my sub sounds better than the sub you are looking at.:) Reality is that a number of companies make great subs. For optimum sound quality correct placement and calibration is essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks