Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quick X-Files Guide Please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
542 replies to this topic

#21 of 543 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 01:29 PM

Not necessarily the "best" episode per se, but the one episode which consistently creeps me out the most is "Home".

"Deliverance" to the nth degree...

I'm also a sucker for the humorous, off-the-wall eps: Modern Day Prometheus, Small Potatoes, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Humbug, Je Suis, Hollywood A.D., etc. Again, not necessarily the best, but definitely some personal favorites.

#22 of 543 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 02:22 PM

I think "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" would deservedly top more fan lists than any other episode. It's absolutely brilliant.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#23 of 543 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,481 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 12 2005 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space' and especially Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose are two absolute highpoints of the series that I forgot to mention before.

#24 of 543 OFFLINE   Sue_New

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 04:09 PM

See my post above - I list excellent eps from many seasons.

Season Eight is my favorite. Everyone should see "Redrum" and "Via Negativa". "Vienen" and "Alone" are excellent stand-alone episodes. Excellent mythology eps are Essence and Existence.

Season Nine - "John Doe" & "4-D"

#25 of 543 OFFLINE   EricWilliam

EricWilliam

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 06:40 PM

Season 6 Episode 19 The Unnatural..my alltime favorite

#26 of 543 OFFLINE   David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 06:17 AM

My favorite episode? I'd have to say "Humbug", because it's just so quirky and just a fun episode to watch, great ending too by the way.

Sue, "Fight Club" is far from the worst episode. IMO "The Field where I died" is the worst episode in the history of television. Absolutely atrocious.

#27 of 543 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 06:36 AM

Fight Club is WAY worse than The Field Where I died, which admittedly is not very good.

My favorite mythology episode is Nisei/731. Taught action and you don't have to know too much backstory.

I might have to name Jose Chung as my all time favorite. It's absolutely mindbending in a way they couldn't do later when more had been revealed. Why would Mulder eat an entire pie?
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#28 of 543 OFFLINE   jez

jez

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 10:00 AM

Have just started watching season 4, 'home' is a wicked episode.

Is it going to go down hill now then?

Posted Image
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

#29 of 543 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,481 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 10:09 AM

Season Four has some true classics in it (like Tunguska and Memento Mori) and some weaker episodes (like Kaddish and Unrequited). Overall, the show is still in great form.

#30 of 543 OFFLINE   Travis Olson

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
Have just started watching season 4, 'home' is a wicked episode.

Is it going to go down hill now then?

It doesn't start going down hill till after season 7 as far as stand alone episodes go.

Season 5 is one of the best. It has Bad Blood (my favorite) and The Post Modern Prometheus. Those are in my top ten.

Seasons 6 and 7 aren't as good as 1-5 but they have some very good episodes. Dreamland I & II and Triangle in season 6 are up there. The Amazing Maleeni in season 7 is great as well.

#31 of 543 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,481 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 10:22 AM

I know this is an unpopular statement amonst XF fans but I think the eighth season had the most consistantly good episodes since Season Four or Five.

Robert Patrick is a wonderful actor and he revitalized the show. Even Season Nine (as long the episode isn't Scully-centric) isn't too bad especially when compared to Season Seven.

To each his own though.

#32 of 543 OFFLINE   Sue_New

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:08 AM

I agree, Travis.

If you look at the stand-alone episodes in seasons 8 and 9 as formulaic X-Files episodes, you'll realize that they are just as good, if not better, than many of the earlier seasons' episodes. If you are worried that Duchovny is no longer on the screen, well then, you aren't giving the show a fair viewing, are you? Duchovny did a fine job as Mulder. However, his absence didn't necessarily mean there were no more good stories to be told. Not to mention Robert Patrick's acting was phenomenal. I really wish they'd have started a "next generation" series with Doggett and Reyes. I'd have stayed around to watch that!

ALL season 8 episodes are great EXCEPT for one very very bad one. I'll leave it to the viewers to figure out that one. LOL

Season 9 was a little more hit and miss, but with still many great episodes. "The Truth" was the worst here, IMO.

#33 of 543 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, the series finale was pretty disappointing IMO. And I'm one of the few who likes the Seinfeld finale!
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#34 of 543 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 04:13 AM

I think Seasons 1-6 are worth having on DVD; while 6 does have some misfires and loses a bit of atmosphere, it also features some truly great episodes.

Season 7 is, as others have noted, extremely stinky. Avoid at all costs.

Season 8 was OK - Robert Patrick was great as Doggett, but I was wishing we could drop the mytharc by this time. The eps with Doggett, Reyes, Mulder and Scully are pretty good.

Season 9 was just silly. I'm still angry and confounded by Carter & Co.'s refusal to do what made sense: clear out Mulder and Scully, and essentially start again with two great characters (Reyes and Doggett). Instead, they kept the "marquee" name of Anderson and a ridiculously convoluted and unbelievable mytharc.

I wish the show would have stopped airing after season 5 and done movies (like Star Trek). Standalone movies, or maybe movies with just a bit of the mytharc in the background.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#35 of 543 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,481 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 09:17 AM

I think in Season Nine, they painted themselves into a corner with Scully. When she was in only a few scenes of an episode, it's generally not that bad of an episode. When the episode was focused on her, it was just her crying about her baby or Mulder. Don't get me wrong, Anderson is a wonderful actress but it was just repetitive. I will say too that if she hadn't seemed focused on her son and Mulder that wouldn't have worked either. Maybe Michael's above idea of just getting rid of both Mulder AND Scully would have worked better.

Another thing that doesn't work great is the super soldier storyline but the mytharc had almost collapsed after the middle of Season Six anyway. Biogenesis and The Sixth Extinction(s) aren't particularly good. I thought Sein Und Zeit/Closure were good episodes but it was not the resolution to
the Samantha storyline
that I wanted. Then Requiem kicks it up again with
the abduction of Mulder
And the episodes that followed that story were pretty good. Then they just couldn't get a really great mytharc episode after that. That's why in the last season, I liked the monster of the week episodes more than the mythology stuff.

As for The Truth, one thing I loved about that episode was
seeing all the old characters again like Mr. X and Krycek

#36 of 543 OFFLINE   jez

jez

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 10:54 AM

Just watched 'Unruhe', prob the best start to an x-file episode with the photo etc Posted Image

#37 of 543 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
I bought the show all the way to the 5th season. That was the last season shot in Canada. When the show moved to LA it lost something to me.

I feel the same way and not only with the look of the shows but with the scripts as well. Not saying they were all terrible but they should have quit right befor the movie and kept the promise that Chris Carter originally intended and that was to have the show run for about 5 or 6 seasons and end it. Of course FOX kept giving him more money and by the last 3 seasons it was nowhere as good as it had been in previous seasons.

#38 of 543 OFFLINE   jez

jez

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 07:42 AM

Right am onto season 5 now guys, just watched the first 3.

Like the first 2 mytho episodes (is the smoking man really dead cannot remember, sure he aint). Then followed by the 'unsualy suspects' think thats what i called.

A really good episode i thought explaining the Lone Gunmen.

What other eposides should i be looking out for in season 5

Posted Image Posted Image

#39 of 543 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,481 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 09:17 AM

Patient X and The Red And The Black are great ones in Season Five.

#40 of 543 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 12:41 PM

"Kill Switch" and "Folie A Deux" are my two favorite standalones of Season 5.

Forum Nav Content I Follow