What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (1 Viewer)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
I got myself the first 2 seasons of the x-files and am getting towards the end of season 1.

Now what i like about the x-files is when it is actualy an x-file not a whole conspiracy plot one.

What i basicly want to know is when the conspiricy completlely takes over and there is little or no actual single x-file episodes.

I was thinking it was around season 4-5?

Or is it ussualy 50-50 between conspiricy and single x-file.

Dont mind the ones where it has alittle conspiricy however, not a fan when it goes on and on.

Hope i have explained this well enough and someone out there gets what i mean.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Most seasons the conspiracy episodes are usually less than half the episodes, half at most. Sometimes the standalones have a mention or two of the conspiracy stuff but I wouldn't consider those conspiracy episodes per se.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I just recebtly watched the entire series, and what Daniel says holds up. Sometimes there will be a run of 5 or six episodes with no mention of the conspiracy, and then again there could be a run of two or three that are about the conspiracy.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought the show all the way to the 5th season. That was the last season shot in Canada. When the show moved to LA it lost something to me. Some of the 6th season shows were OK, but after that each season seemed to be half as good as the one before it. So i couldnt bring myself to spend a hundred dollars a season, when the first 5 years were GREAT! Oh, and the last episode of season 5 was titled "The End", worked for me.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input guys.

I just seem to remember is becoming very conspiracy heavy around the middle-end.

I surpose the first season will always be my fav cause it is almost all just actual x-files.

I read somewhere that around 7-8-9 it went back to just x-files is that true?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It may have seemed conspiracy-heavy in the latter seasons because they made less eps per season, but I agree with Daniel in that it was never more than 50% conspiracy, and in most cases less than that.

I seem to remember an old thread here that outlined all the conspiracy eps. I'll try to dig it up.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot that would be cool.

An interesting read.

I hope you guys are right cause, am deciding weather to buy all the seasons :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, the entire series is well worth picking up. Some years are better than others but overall the show was outstanding.

I liked Season Eight more than Season Seven. I thought Robert Patrick gave the show a pretty good boost. Although alot of XF fans would violently disagree with me on that...

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
I agree entirely with TravisR. The entire series is so entertaining, why not pick them all up? I bought seasons 1 through 9 on Half.com for about $35 apiece. They all were brand new in excellent condition. I recently completed viewing the entire thing (watched "The Truth" last weekend). There will be 'mythology' episodes throughout all seasons, but they aren't in any pattern or whatnot. I also agree that season 8 is a very wrongly "boo'd" season. Robert Patrick as Agent Doggett brings a great breath of fresh air to the series. As does Agent Reyes. My favorite seasons, in order, are:

Season Eight - Best season of the series. Agent Doggett brought a breath of fresh air to the series. Scully and Doggett worked extremely well together. Best eps were with Scully, Mulder, Doggett, Skinner, Krycek, and Reyes together!

Season Three - Best of the 'classic' X-Files. "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" is the best here!

Season Four - "Memento Mori", "Small Potatoes", "Unruhe" are great eps.

Season Six - "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas" "Monday" "Arcadia" "Milagro" "Field Trip" are excellent.

Season One - "Ice" "One Breath" "Darkness Falls" "Tooms" are fantastic eps.

Season Two - has a lot of conspiracy/mythology in it so beware! "The Host", "Humbug", and the "Duane Barry/Ascension/One Breath" series are great.

Season Nine - Yes, I like season 9 better than 5 and 7. There are some awesome episodes this season. (Like "4-D")

Season Five - Too lacking of Mulder and Scully throughout the season while they were off to make the movie. Left it lack-luster.

Season Seven - Worst season ever. You could tell a certain someone wanted out of the show. (mum's the word) Best ep was "XCops". I suggest you skip "Fight Club" altogether. It is truly the #1 worst X-Files episode. Hands down.

X-Files: Fight the Future - Good as far as X-Files episodes go. But lacking as far as movies go. The plot is difficult to understand if you're not a "phile" (or not into the mythology). Lots of conspiracy here.

No matter how lame some individual episodes were in any season, X-Files is the BEST show on television to this day. I miss it already.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Sue and Travis, I'm with you guys. I thought the series was very entertaining, and at times extremely gripping.

Yea, some of the later episodes aren't as good as earlier ones, but I think there are equally fantastic episodes to wash out the bad.

I really hope they get around to making a second film one of these days.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
There is a reason why the last episode of Season Five was called 'The End’; Carter was at that point planning to move the X-Files permanently to the big screen. His original intentions were to only have the show run for 5 years. However, FOX threw a lot of money at him to stay so eventually they returned along with some changes.

My recommendation is stay away from the show after the film, what Carter and Co do to the whole mythology is plain dumb. Essentially wiping the slate clean as best they can in Season 6 and moving on to some really dumb ideas and by the finally trying to wrap the whole mess together. What a sad waste of a good show.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I don't remember anything about them calling it the 'The End' because they were ending the TV run, I thought it was called 'The End' because it was the last episode filmed in Vancouver, which is why they called the first episode filmed in L.A. "The Beginning", but it was a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much any episode featuring the Lone Gunmen is among my favorites. I'll be getting that series as soon as it's available.

And I'd agree that season 8 had a lot going for it. Doggett and Reyes brought a new perspective to the show, and that was refreshing - like seeing it through entirely new eyes. Doggett's skepticism kind of brought the show full circle again.

I got my sets from Australia, in region 4. At the time, even with shipping, it was cheaper than buying the sets here in the US. I think I'm missing some ROM content, but that's about all - I hardly ever check out the extras more than once, if then.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
By season 5 they figured out a pattern for mythology episodes: sweeps. So you get the season opener (usually a two parter), a two parter right in the middle for February, and the finale. The rest are all stand alone.

I like up to Season 6 a lot. Someday I may buy the other episodes (out of no other reason than OCD. :b ) but the spirit was gone by 7.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

I read an interview with Carter, although a long time ago, where he was taking about renewing the show for Season 6. Apparently 'The End' was quite intentional.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your info guys, think i might get them all anyway over time.

What is the BEST episode ever?

:)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, One Breath is their best episode.

It has great performances and great moments for almost every character in the show.

Memento Mori is a darn close runner-up for the same reasons.

My favorite monster of the week is Ice just because I'm a big fan of John Carpenter's The Thing (and obviously so are Morgan and Wong).

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Ice is a fantastic piece of television.

I'm going to have to get back to you on my favorite episode though...

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I've always liked "Folie a Deux", one my favorites, but the "Colony" - "End Game" 2 parter is probably my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks