• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 of 33 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,804 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted March 28 2005 - 05:44 AM

Jeff: The demise of SACD is over-stated. Check out the release news at SA-CD.net or HighFidelityReview.com. There are a lot of titles still being released. Just because Sony isn't releasing many titles anymore doesn't mean the format is totally moribund.

Doug: See my post #18 re only a few of my DVD-As playing in my R/RW ROM drive.

What I'm really interested in is, if you manually enter a DVD-A or SACD UPC, does the app reliably and accurately add it to your collection database?

-p

#22 of 33 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,804 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 09:23 AM

One thing I do find a little frustrating/tedious about Collectorz is the varied database choices from which to select to ask the software to pull title information. Of course the more you select, the more purportedly accurate information you're going to be able to choose from, but it also adds significantly to the amount of time it takes to add each CD to your collection listing: additional time for the information to download, then additional time to edit/delete inaccurate/contradictory information. Spending any more than 2 minutes or so per CD adds up to a significant time commitment just to get a collection of my size (app. 700 CDs) logged.

For a largely domestic collection of fairly mainstream CDs, I'm wondering if anyone who has entered a large collection has recommendations of which one to two (max) databases to always select from the available choices for the best, most complete information (for instance, the U.S. Amazon site plus CDDb?).

-p

#23 of 33 RichP

RichP

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 04:44 AM

Anyone using a Mac should really check out Delicious Library. It is hands down the absolute coolest and slickest looking media catalog program on the market. Fully supports bluetooth and QuickTime video barcode scanning.

http://www.delicious-monster.com

Posted Image

#24 of 33 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,804 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 07:00 AM

Thx, Rich--more evidence that I should more strongly consider dumping my PC and getting a Mac. Posted Image

Looks like part of the time consumption issue I describe above is addressed by Delicious Library's support of any QuickTime-supported digital camera such as Apple's iSight to scan barcodes. Apparently there's even a wireless scanner that would enable you to scan your collection without bringing all your discs to your computer disc-by-disc. Posted Image

-p

#25 of 33 Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 10:23 AM

I have Delicious Library for my Mac. It's a great-looking program, and its use of iSight as a bar scanner is extremely cool. The only problem - and it's a big one - is that the searchable info is limited to the info that the program scoops up from Amazon. In other words, if you have a DVD of a film, it may only have a couple of the actors listed, and maybe no director at all. So if you searched for every movie in your collection featuring character actor E. Emmet Walsh, you might not get any. For DVDs, my favorite program is still DVD Profiler, and I maintain it on my work Windows PC.

This is admittedly less of a problem for CDs, where Amazon is pretty good about having each and every song listing.

For me, the Mac solution is coming - the Mac version of Music Collector. I love that program, and it's so comprehensive. I can search, as I did recently, for every CD in my collection with a version of "Dark End of the Street," and it pulls up the alarming answer - 13 CDs - in a matter of seconds.

#26 of 33 RichP

RichP

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 01:21 PM

To be fair Stu, Delicious Library allows for full editing of all content and images, so you can add or remove any data that you do or do not want. Certainly not as convenient as having everything provided for you, but you are not "limited" in any way, you simply would need to add any additional info yourself.

Also, Delicious Library stores the entire collection database in XML, so that the data itself can be manipulated and/or searched on by any program capable of reading XML.

#27 of 33 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,746 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 08 2005 - 03:54 AM

So all of these cataloging systems work by bputting your CD in the drive, as opposed to DVD Profiler where you type in the UPC?

#28 of 33 Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted August 09 2005 - 04:26 AM

I received an email from PC Magazine this morning which mentions a freeware music collection manager, MediaMonkey.

It's a 4.16 MB download, available at:
http://shareware.pcm......SiteID]pcmag

I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

#29 of 33 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 05:43 AM

Just curious: for those of you that burn copies of (your own) vinyl LPs onto CDs. How do you catalog these? Finding a similar CD version and entering its info? Or are these tracked separately, or not at all?

#30 of 33 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,182 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 06 2012 - 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paul.S 

Looks like part of the time consumption issue I describe above is addressed by Delicious Library's support of any QuickTime-supported digital camera such as Apple's iSight to scan barcodes. Apparently there's even a wireless scanner that would enable you to scan your collection without bringing all your discs to your computer disc-by-disc. Posted Image

-p

Paul:

I'm about to pull the trigger on Collectorz.  One of the big selling points for me is that it now allows users to enter CDs via USB scanners of the UPC codes.  I just ordered a handheld scanner off Amazon and am excited to get going.  I'm doing a huge overhaul of my media storage at home.

Does the program also handle SACDs and DVD-As well?

If I'd waited three more days, this would have been a seven-year-later thread bump!  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#31 of 33 DennisBassi

DennisBassi

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted August 06 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have been using Catraxx by fnprg.com for years and like it

#32 of 33 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,124 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 04:00 PM

I really like Colectorz, it has done a great job for me as well
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#33 of 33 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 06:05 AM

deleted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users