What's new

Fraternity house speakers on a budget (1 Viewer)

Being one of the home theater gurus in my fraternity, I was given the task of finding new speakers for our living room. After begging our treasure quite a bit, I managed to get a budget of $400. We have a center channel and two surround speakers already. The receiver is a pioneer VSX D812. The speakers I will be replacing were cerwin vegan tower speakers with a 12" woofer (I think the model is vs120). One of the woofers ended up blowing.

What I need is either a speaker/sub combo, or just new speakers. With the given budget, I doubt I will be able to include a sub, so I am looking at mainly just speakers. I am not worried about timber matching. I care about sound quality, but most of the people in my fraternity will only care about the bass output. I need something big enough for the room which is about 15' x 30'. They also need to be durable enough to withstand the abuse of a fraternity house, and something with a good warranty is preferable.

I have paradigm speakers and an svs sub at home, and I love them, but there is no way I could get what I need for the living room in those brands. Any suggestions as to brands or speakers would be appreciated.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
What about used or low-prices PRO speakers. Either a 12 or 15-inch woofer and a nice big horn.

If you get something smaller, I bet $50 you'll blow them in a week (not you, 'them')

BillHewitt

Auditioning
If you intend to use them at parties or drive them hard for long periods at a time, I'd definitely recommend a good set of pro audio speakers instead of home theater speakers. They're decidedly more rugged and you'd have much less risk of blowing them out.

However, it sounds like they're going to go into a home theater, which I'm assuming means they're going to be undergoing a lot less stress. I'd personally recommend that you get one of the Dayton subs from Parts Express and a set of Athena AS-F1 or other low-end floorstanders, which should come to about $400. This way, the others should be able to get the bass they want by just turning up the sub, not overdriving the mains.

Regardless, good luck!

I( am not looking for party speakers. We have pro concert speakers in our basement. They include two sets of 4 15" servo driven subs in huge boxes.

I looked into Klipsch at a local home audio place and they did not have something comparable to what we had within the pricerange.

I heard from someone that Fluance speakers are a very good value. Anyone hear anything about these?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Go to your local Bestbuy for some good deals on Athena tower speakers. The AS-F2s are pretty nice.

Your local compusa might have some deals on Infinity tower speakers.

I mention these since you have a pretty tight budget. If you are willing to do the front soundstage for your budget and add surrounds later, then there are tons more options.

HAHAHA! We go to an engineering school, so girls are few and far between. A good portion of us have girlfriends from other schools. Studying definitely takes up a lot of time, but when we need a break, and it is too early to start partying, it is nice to sit down and watch a movie every now and then.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
Hey if you're thinking Klipsch, but can't afford them, how about the BIC America knockoffs - Acoustech.

Nan H

Agent
i have always used mackie srm 450's for my parties, their pricey although i doubt you could "blow them " there sound is quite good and they can play really loud with no distortion... good for really loud events

cheers Nan

johnathan

Stunt Coordinator
Michael
I have been following a thread at AVS about budget infinity speakers.Speaker thread

I bought 6 of the Infinity 150's and the C25 center for under $500. These are amazing performers for the money. But hurry as CompUSA is discontinuing them after they sell out.

I used to have 4 bose 301's and a couple of pinnacle centers. The improvement is not little by any means. They sound great. I will update my gallery soon. Johnathan

CompUSA sale link
You should be able to get Circuit City to price match the link. Good luck

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Many suggestions and hopefuly you'll figure/find something that will work for the party house and within budget.

Another person at a different forum was looking to do something similar to you, tho, LESS the bass thing.

Sub:
I belive the Dayton-10 inch/TM-II and 2 of them, (due to room size) would be a good bet for bassing out, when necessary. A few beers and things can get torture tested as you surly know. :D
Good warranty on these too if you blow a woofer or amp. They go on sale quite frequently for 99.00-100.00, and sometimes even free shipping. A quick call to PE will sometimes allow release of info on a up-coming TM-II sale or deal of the day..

Speaks:
These speaks where what he picked up, at Ebay for 36.00, and was quite impressed considering the price and that he has some much higher end gear at the house.
You can have a lookhere and there is usually a new pair or more up for auction at Ebay (where he bought his) along with a Yammi receiver seperatly.

Fluance, Bic, and others might be a way to go also considering what they will be used for. A Center from most anyone, should be fine (as you mentioned) ,front stage matching was not a big deal...

Good luck in your bear bash movie/music system quest! ;)

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I second Jeff McCarthy's buy used for value comment, but caution you must be able to audition extensively first. You do not want to purchase speakers that have been abused, particularly as you may be subject to verbal abuse from your frat brothers if the speakers fail.

Jeremy R recommended Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2 Tower Speakers. AudioAdvisor.com has these for $399 per pair. The following specifications suggest these deserve consideration:
Frequency Response: 35 Hz-20 kHz +/-3 dB (Good bass response)
Power handling: 250 watts per channel
Sensitivity: 93 dB (Play loud with low power)
Impedence: 8 ohms (Easy load on amp)
Dimensions: 41.5" tall, 9.5" wide, 15.5" deep
Weight: 51 lbs. each
Total carton weight: 55 lbs. each

Link to Athena Technologies AS-F2 reviews:
http://www.stereophile.com//loudspea...645/index.html
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/athena_asf2.htm

The goodsound.com review states in part:
"The Athenas' depth and timbre down to the 30Hz to 40Hz region is ... better than the bass extension most speakers costing well over $1000 will give you.

Good luck.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Looking at used speakers and or sub/s is certainly an option worth looking into. Forum/s FS-section, Jeffs Sound Values, Audiogon, and other sites certainly have big time steals come along now and then.

Something a few might have missed or are wanting him to get a good deal on decent speakers but have possibly seemed to have forget he has a strict budget of 400.00 for everything.

The Athenas (nice tower at a good price yes), but with no sub, "they may or may not be enough on the bass end" for his bass hungry roomates and his acustomed extension at home that certainly drops well below 30-35Hz..:D

More than likely, anything bought for just 2-speakers in his budget (new) is not going to replace what a cheap proven perormer & well reviewed sub like the Dayton TM-II will do (for bass and extension).

Just a heads up, there is a couple of the Sony-12" something 40's,,,, for sale dirt cheap right now in the FS-section.
The old HTF, best low dollar sub king till the Dayton was discoverd.

By running a sub or pair of subs, it will take a major load off the receiver when cranking it & the receiver should be able to power most any speakers he might choose tower or bookie (now set small) to high volumes.

Cheers
Geoff ¥

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks