What's new

Best Buy Bonus discs....Why? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Why is it that Worst Buy gets all these exclusive Bonus Discs??

Why not Suncoast? Why not CC or Tower...? You get tyhe hint.

Why cant the studios put these features on the discs for everyone and not just people who go to BB.

I hate corporate America! :angry:

End Rant.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Best Buy probably has a deal with the studios or something. For me at least, their prices are usually the best so I don't mind.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Actually, Suncoast, Sam Goody, and MediaPlay are also often in on the same bonus disc deal as Best Buy.

I've purchased almost all of the Star Trek sets with bonus discs from Suncoast/Sam Goody - a result of their "Replay" point club of which I'm a member.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
They shouldn't be any more. They used to get the same bonus discs when Best Buy owned them, now it is a Best Buy/Future Shop deal.

And Matt: if you dislike Best Buy so much, you don't have to shop there. You just won't be getting the bonus discs.;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

I dont shop there actually. I just hate monopolies.

I get my DVDs from Costco, Suncaost or Target mostly. And a few local businesses. The only etailer I shop from is Amazon.

I do have the Friday the 13th bonus disc though.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

Best Buy is no more of a "monopolie" than any of those stores. For example, Target frequently gets special CD deals that no other store does.

I'm sorry, but I can't really sympathize with you on this one.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why the "bonus disc" features can't be included on the regular release.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In the case of Top Gun, Charlie De Lauzirika said in that thread that the only reason that the featurette from the BB bonus disc wasn't included was because there wasn't room for it.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
OK...from a retailers point of view:

Best Buy cuts a deal with a studio to include the bonus disc. BB guarantees that they will purchase "X" number of DVDs in return (probably more than if they didn't offer the bonus disc). BB is also probably getting a better price because of the large order. BB is probably increasing their sales of the title because of the exclusive content. Studio is happy bcause they sell extra copies. Like any other promotion, they are hoping that you pick up more than just the DVD (where the profit margin helps offset the lower profit of the bonus DVD title).

It's called free enterprise...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The real question is: Are these "bonus" discs worth it?

I mean, the CD that came exclusively with my Shrek (1) DVD, wasn't worth me going to Wal-Mart.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They vary pretty widely. Usually they have about 20-30 minutes of featurettes of varying quality. The best one, by a huge margin, would have to be the bonus disc that Walmart included with Field of Dreams -- it included hours of neat content, including the feature-length documentary that had been on earlier editions of the disc but was left off the 2-disc edition.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I wrote:

While I realize that that fact is true, nevertheless, in recent weeks/months, we've gotten the extra bonus discs on the Star Trek TOS sets at Sam Goody/Suncoast - the same ones that Best Buy gets.

I don't know if it's just a continuing arrangement with Viacom/Paramount, or if there are other companies as well involved.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

What do they think of the copies going to OTHER retailers that won't be sold because people go to Best Buy for the bonus disc, and what do the other retailers themselves think of that?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I don't think that thousands of copies of Top Gun went unsold at Circuit City, Target, Walmart, etc. because BB had this bonus disc available. It gives BB an edge over the competition, but I seriously think that MOST consumers would NOT buy it if they could not get the bonus disc at BB.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

And even if you do shop there, you still might not get the bonus discs.

At the Best Buy near me, there were certain Star Trek TNG/DS9 sets where they never received any with the bonus discs. I've also heard many complaints from people unable to find a Friday the 13th box with the bonus disc, too.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

With the Star Trek sets, I've read that features that are only available on Best Buy bonus discs in Region 1 are included with ALL of the sets in other regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks