What's new

"New York, New York": Ironic Choice of Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
MGM's choice of cover art for the upcoming DVD of "New York, New York" gave me a chuckle (the cover art can be viewed on Amazon.com).
(Ending spoiled: ) The cover features a shot of De Niro and Minnelli as they appear at the end of the film, walking down a city street and smiling. This shot was taken from the alternate and more upbeat ending of the film (perhaps this will be included on the DVD?) in which the two lead characters appear to reconcile after years of estrangement; Minnelli accepts an invitation from De Niro and they walk off together. In the ending used by Scorcese in the final version of the film, Minnelli declines the invitation.

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator
It's ironic only in the Alanis Morrisette definition of the word, not in the "I understand the English language" sense.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Wow...guess that holiday cheer has evaporated already. Actually, using a DELETED scene as cover art and the primary advertising logo for the dvd WOULD qualify as irony in the "I understand the English language" sense.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Among the definitions of irony: an "incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs" (see, e.g., the listing for "irony" on Dictionary.com). Which is exactly why I characterized MGM's usage of the shot from the alternate ending on the cover of the DVD of "New York, New York" as "ironic." Nothing to do with Ms. Morrisette; end of English lesson. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i never saw the movie and have been waiting for this dvd.

did i just read something i shouldnt have?
:angry:

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Someone needs to read the forum policy on personal attacks.

While I understand someone might see this 1977 film for the first time on DVD, it has been a while since it was released. How long must one be careful in discussing its contents? The lifetime of its theatrical release plus seventy years? :)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I think the cutoff limit for spoilers is 25 years, so I think we're safe:laugh:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Always. If you're going to discuss a film and/or post a possible spoiler, make sure you announce it in advance. It could be in the topic line, or clearly beforehand in your post, in which latter case spoiler-tags are still required.

And it's considered a nice service to fellow members to announce clearly what the nature of the covered spoiler is. Just a spoiler-frame is no good to anyone.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks