What's new

Suggestions for a high end sub....... (1 Viewer)

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
I would like some suggestions for a subwoofer that is more of a high end piece. I currently have an SVS 20/39pc+ and I really am not pleased with it. I have also tried the Outlaw LFM1 sub with no real success. I think my tastes are a bit more discriminating than the average user. Not to say that both of the subs listed won’t be fine for most, just not for me. I remember seeing something called a nova something? And also a paradigm servo something? Perhaps the definitive tech subs? Im open for suggestions……..

Thanks

Pauli

Grip
I would definately consider Acoustic Visions Kilimanjaro. It looks like a good contender for 1500 bucks. Closed enclosure and very high excursion driver so it can still give out some serious SPL if necessary.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
For about $3,600 you should should be able to get a Velodyne DD18. This sub tests very well and has the best electronics package out there. 1250 watt digital amp. Very user friendly television based room equalization using builit-in 8 band parametric equalizer. Includes calibrated microphone. Precision low pass crossover with user adjustable slope. Servo technology for ultra low distortion. Software upgradeable via internet. And to top it all off, the cabinet is available in several beautiful wood veneers and is not the size of a desk.

Also, if you have never used a subwoofer with a wireless remote control you don't know what you are missing. Being able to vary the amount of bass from your listening position for every track on every CD you own and for every DVD you play is a great convenience and once you get used to it you don't want to live without it. The remote for the DD18 lets you control everything.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
i was reading about the Velodyne DD18 last night. it sure seems to be a home run. its definately on the list.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
on the upside, some lucky person will be able to purchase an SVS at a discount.

Jeff, This question is rudimentary but Im curious, have you checked to make sure nothing is wrong with your SVS? and its calibrated and properly placed?

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish

No he need not expalin why he doesnot like SVS. Nor does it matter that 99% people like it.
Have you auditioned Sunfire Signature? Its an awesome sub. Yes i have not listened to SVS.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Curious about this too. Blending a sub is rather tough. I would also consider seeing if you can hear a PC Ultra. This is probably the best sounding of the bunch.

Also take a look at :

http://www.audioc.com

The Maestro is the one to look at.

I would suggest a Rel but the output down low leaves something to be desired. There is no doubt it would seemlessly blend with your current setup.

Jeff-O,

You didn't say how much $$$ you wanted to spend.

If you don't like SVS, maybe a sealed sub would be more to your liking.

You can get a NHT 1259 based sub from madisound for around $500. Next would be my own personal pick, the Acoustic-Visions Kilimanjaro. That's around $1500.

If you're determined to spend a lot of money, check out the Revel B-15 or those new Velodyne models. They both have built -in auto EQ, which is a cool feature. The Revel and Velo are nice, but first two listed are a MUCH better value. I think two Kilimanjaros would be more sub than anyone could want for less money than the Revel or Velo. Or perhaps half a dozen 1259s . . .

Scott_N

Second Unit
If you want a high end sub try a REL Stentor III. It will go very low with clean accurate bass and will blend with any speaker that I know of. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
Michael Colby,

i think i would be comfortable spending in the 2000.00 range, naturally the less the better but if i found a standout product i could go a bit higher.

i guess i really just want this purchase to be able to serve my needs for the next 10 years. upgrading has proven to be very time consuming. its not something i want to do every couple years.

thanks, jeff

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
The JM Labs SW900 has a retail of $2000. I find it to be a very capable subwoofer. Just by going on some popuar movie scenes, I know that it will at least play down into the 20Hz range with strong output (95-100db on a radio shack spl meter uncorrected). Maybe a little lower. Good for music as well.

Also, even though I had not heard them the new Dynaudio Sub500 might be an option($1900). There is a system review in the October, 2004 of ultimate AV. The reviewwe basicly said that there was no drop off in spl from 90 to 20 Hz in his room. Although he failed to mention what it was. But if it was anything like the old contour sub, it would have to be checked out.

Just a few thought :)
Mike D

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, when you say "handle any DVD track I throw at it, with lowest distortion"...

If you intend to occasionally use reference or near reference volume levels in the system...you are looking at >120dB of low distortion bass...down to the frequencies found on the DVD. Most DVDs still stay >20hz...but more and more drop into the teens these days. So if you want to be able to hear/feel those effects...then you can say you'll need >120dB down to say...12-15hz...at all of your key seating positions.

Very few single subwoofers will get you there...although it will depend on the room size. If you have a local Velodyne dealer...I'd ask if you could take a DD-18 home for a weekend audition. You will likely need 2(or maybe even 4) to hit the numbers I posted above...but the DD-18s are crushing performers and they have a very cool user interface for EQing the room.

Tom V.
SVS

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
Jean D,

I have talked with svs about this sub and tried the various way of configuring it to meet my taste.

The best I have been able to come up with, to get it close, was to put the fronts at large and set the sub to lfe+l-r.

Then using the crossover on the sub I set it to right about 60 Hz. This has been the most favorable but still far from what I think is acceptable.

I have also tried using the port blockers to tune the svs to 16 Hz, still not finding it for me.

For the record I have tried every conceivable combination of receiver crossover point and lfe setting I can. I do notice a bit more clarity when listening to jazz, especially piano tracks when I set my receiver to small and the sub to handle everything else. But this is only for a few tracks on cd's. For HT as I find the sub loose (for lack of a better term) with this setting, or with any of the other 1million combinations. Now for the outlaw sub I originally thought it to be a bit too tight but looking back I think the accuracy was spot on, it was also surprisingly adept for the wattage rating it has.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I have been using an M&K sub for about 7 years with Dynaudio Contours, and have found it to be a great unit. It plays very low, very tight, very musical (my interests are music first and foremost, HT secondary). I believe they have a couple of subs in the price range you are looking at.

I would buy another M&K product any time. My volume control was acting a bit flaky and even though the sub was well out of warranty and even though I offered to pay for repairs, M&K fixed it at no charge.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
Elinor,

thanks for the heads up on the m&k.Specifically the MX-350 MK II THX ULTRA, and the MX-150 MK II THX ULTRA

i love the fact that they are thx, i am cautious of the low watt amps used but it certainly must be working for them.

there is a dealer somewhat close to me, i will have to make some calls to see if its something i can audition.

thanks again.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jeff ... Where in Ohio are you ? We are about 90 miles East of Cleveland ... and have a pair of Maestros here... You are welcome to audition it.

You mentioned liking the Outlaw, Hsu Research is coming out with a new H.O. version of the VTF-3 ... TWO of those should be under $1800... more details in mid January. Dr. Hsu did a lot of the design work of the Outlaw....

Also, Rocket has the new UFW-12 coming out, with a 12 inch driver (rumored to have a greater than 25 MM X-Max) ... $1599 for TWO ... including a four band paramtetric EQ.

This is due in January...

Finally, you may want to consider the SVS PB12-Ultra/2 ... from what I read from guys like Edward J M, Robb Roy, and others, the Ultra driver is superior sounding to the "plus" driver ... even when the standard measurements (FR, output ... etc...) are the same...

Lots of good ways to go... take your time, and enjoy the hunt !

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
A few suggestions

Axiom Epicenter EP600 ($1750)
Krell Master Refrence ($28,000)
PSB Platinum SubSonic 10 ($2499)
B&W ASW 850 ($3000)
Velodyne 1812 Signature ($9900)
Wilson WATCH Dog ($9950)
Parts Express 15" Titanic DIY ($689)
Adire Sadhara ($599)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks