Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How many coax cables into the house for sat HDTV?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   BillyH

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 03:24 PM

If I upgrade my Direct TV to High Def(Or switch to Dish) will I need more then one RG6 coax into the house (per receiver) as I have now? I know I will need an oval 3 LNB dish(2 with Dish network?) but only one coax out from the dish, right? Hence, I will not have to rip up my walls again to hide the cable. How hard is it to aim one of those HDTV dishes? Years ago I aimed my Direct Tv dish myself, piece of cake, but I am told you realy need electronic equipment to properly aim one of the HDTVs. Also I have heard uproar about Dish and MPEG4 making any equipment I buy useless. How about the next few years and new satellites for Direct TV? Should I wait? Thanks

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted December 29 2004 - 05:51 PM

Billy, I'm not sure about your coax. question.
I would wait a little while to see if Directv or Dish Network buys out Voom. You can read more about this at Satelliteguys.us.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,178 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 30 2004 - 12:39 AM

Quote:
will I need more then one RG6 coax into the house (per receiver) as I have now?
You will only need more if you upgrade to an HR10-250 (HD DirecTivo). Since it is a dual tuner, it requires two cables.

Quote:
How hard is it to aim one of those HDTV dishes?
Make sure the mounting arm is plumb. It's also better to have a TV near the dish so you can watch the signal strength. It took me about 10 minutes to aim. I spent 30 mintutes making sure the mast was plumb though.

Quote:
I have heard uproar about Dish and MPEG4 making any equipment I buy useless.
If DirecTV upgrades anything that makes your current equipment useless, they will upgrade you for free. They have done this in the past. Most recently as this spring with the additional locals at 72.5. A lot of older receivers were not able to take the necessary software upgrade to get locals. All subscribers who wanted these new locals also got the necessary receiver upgrades if needed.

Quote:
How about the next few years and new satellites for Direct TV?
It's not going to be years. There are two launches scheduled for this spring. The new satellites will carry local HD for the top 10, 20, ?? markets.

-Robert

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   BillyH

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the replys. Good info.

Billy

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow