What's new

Forbidden Planet S.E? (1 Viewer)

DaveMK

Agent
A couple of years ago, it seems, people were talking about a Special Edition of Forbidden Planet, but I've seen no comments at all for quite a while. I mean Critereon had a nice SE laserdisc years ago with lots of deleted scenes no less. Not bad for a 1956 movie. But we are still stuck with a weak bare bones edition. Who owns this now? MGM, Warner or Critereon? Is that the problem? It's one of the last classic sci-fi movies not with at least a commentary track, let alone a restoration.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If you do a search you will find many threads asking this question......unless something has popped up recently, the main question was "has there ever been anything official at all from Warner Brother confirming this SE was ever actually on schedule or was this fan gossip run rampant?" The basic answer was that there has never been anything officially announced from WB about this...only a photoshoped "cover" over at the Digital Bits and a few rumors...I hope it is true and some new news has surfaced but I personally have never been able to find anything concrete regarding this supposed SE.

Haden

Supporting Actor

Oh really? So they're planning to announce specs and then release it sometime in the next... say... 2 days?

No, it's not coming this year. It was rumored to, but clearly its not. Hopefully in 2005.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I'd harbor a guess that it'll probably be out in the spring of 2006 for the 50th anniversary, but I certainly wouldn't complain if it was out next year...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Kevin is right - none of the many, many rumors was ever substantiated. Jim might be onto something - studios just love these anniversary editions, for whatever reason. In some cases we have to sit around waiting for the next anniversary-divisible-by-five-years to get a remaster, and FORBIDDEN PLANET certainly needs a remaster. Why not break the mold, Warner, and release a 49th anniversary special edition?

StevenFC

Second Unit
Just call it the 50th anniversary. What's the difference? It doesn't have to actually be the 50th anniversary to celebrate it. After all it was probably made the year before it came out anyway. And I doubt that they'll release the DVD on the actual date that the movie was released. Anyway, it's just a number. What's so special about 50?

But, I also expect to see it in 2006.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
yes. just like magazines are cover dated a month/week earlier than the date they actually come out on, so too could a 50th Anniversary be released in 2005...getting ready for 2006..DONT WAIT, WARNER!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Another vote for a SE of FP. Have held off buying the orig. bare-bones disc, not so much because it's bare-bones, but because I've heard the A/V quality is less than stellar. If FP looks less than stellar, then it needs a new transfer (if not a full blown restoration).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'd definitely be interested. I've held off on buying the existing releases, even though it's a decent price at some places. I thought the last release was supposed to have been pretty decent though.

Still, I'm sure they could really clean it up nicely today.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The first release (MGM or WB, it's the same disc) wasn't that bad for a 1997/98 DVD I guess but it could be soooo much better now.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
How I wish this film would come out in an SE! I'm hoping that Warner realizes how deserving this film is of an SE, it would also sell really well.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Or Debbie Reynolds, or Bebe Barron discussing the primitive circuits that she and her late husband Louis hand made to create the film's musical "electronic tonalities".

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, someone pointed out a while back that (according to Anne Francis' official website) a remake of this movie is in the works. Probably just a rumor, but with all the other remakes lately, I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, it's not uncommon to release the original to DVD around the same time as the remake is released.

-Steve

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Anne Francis.....uh....yeah, her too...:b

Debbie Reynolds.....(slaps forehead)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks