What's new

Jerry Orbach Passes Away at 69 (1 Viewer)

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Just read from the Associated Press that former Law and Order star Jerry Orbach passed away from prostate cancer. He had been undergoing treatment for it and only recently announced he had been diagnosed. Very sad. He was a damn fine actor and will be missed. :-(

-E

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Just heard this on the radio. Sad. Although he lived a long, productive life, he obviously still had a lot to offer. RIP, Mr. Orbach.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, that's depressing. I was really excited to watch the new Law and Order spinoff based around his character.

RIP

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You'll be missed, Jerry. Godspeed.

(for those that didn't know, Orbach was the voice of Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
From the AP:

NEW YORK (AP) -- "Law & Order" star Jerry Orbach has died of prostate cancer at 69, a representative of the show said Wednesday.

Orbach died Tuesday night in Manhattan after several weeks of treatment, Audrey Davis of the public relations agency Lippin Group said.

When his illness was diagnosed, he had begun production on NBC's upcoming spinoff "Law & Order: Trial By Jury," after 12 seasons playing Detective Lennie Briscoe in the original series. His return to the new show had been expected early next year.

On Broadway, the Bronx-born Orbach starred in hit musicals including "Carnival," "Promises, Promises" (for which he won a Tony Award), "Chicago" and "42nd Street."

Among his film appearances were roles in "Dirty Dancing," "Prince of the City" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors."

AP-ES-12-29-04 1029EST

todd s

Senior HTF Member
He will be missed. I wonder how many episodes were filmed of Trial by Jury? I hope they air them. It will be a nice way to end his long career.

:frowning:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
69 is way too young. He was a fine actor and leaves the legacy of having created one of the most memorable characters in TV history.

At the risk of sounding preachy, this is a very painful reminder for men over 40 to get their PSA tests annually.

God Bless this fine gentleman.

Steve

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
To me, Mr. Orbach was always the attraction of "Law & Order"; he was never less than great in any of the episodes.

RIP Mr. Orbach

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Sad news. Most people don't know that he got his start on Broadway, well Off-Broadway to be exact in the musical "The Fantasticks". He also starred on Broadway in "42nd Street" and "Promises, Promises". R.I.P.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
From his "New York Times" obit:

"With his emergence as Lennie Briscoe on a popular television series, his fortunes changed. He became the face and frame of a typical New York cop and the police liked what they saw. Mr. Orbach took the role seriously, so much so that he appeared at a 2001 demonstration of police demanding higher wages from the Giuliani administration.

"All I can do is try and represent you guys on a TV screen and make you look as good as I can," Mr. Orbach was quoted as saying in Newsday. "I could never go out and not know if I'm coming home that night the way you do."

Class act.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Fantasticks site features Mr. Orbach singing his signature song from that play "Try To Remember".

I am not a fan of Broadway musicals in general, but I always liked this song and his performance of it.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks