Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HAWAII on the way - any info?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,945 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 09:56 AM

Yesterday, dvdplanet had the Julie Andrews film Hawaii announced for mid April from MGM/UA Sadly, they had no specs. Does anyone have info? Would like to know A. which version of the fil? there are two running times- B. will there ba any stereo track?

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 06:26 PM

I am really looking forward to this - if it is done right. The good news is that I did find it at DVDEmpire - release date is 4/12. There isn't much info on it. Yeah, I know. The bad news is that it is only $10.17. Ok, maybe not bad for sure, but a price like that on such a classic is scaring me. Glenn

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:01 AM

Sorry, Joe, but DVD Answers is reporting this as mono. I am hoping that you and Eric Paddon who are some of our most knowledgable participants regarding original score and sound sources can lead the charge in getting at least a stereo version of Hawaii released, even at the cost of a delay in release date. Looking at the horrid artwork at DVD Answers, it appears MGM has little interest in a quality presentation of this title. Maybe, we can get the Hawains or Master of the Islands released at the same time. Best Greg

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:54 AM

suprised they arent releasing the sequel HAWAIIANS with Charlton heston at the same time, considering that was never released on video anywhere.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,945 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 01:54 PM

I saw the mono listing at dvd answers. I'm afraid this may also be the short version of the film. Its like The Alamo - the short version is on dvd cuz they wanted to do anamorphic and the uncut versions of both these forms do not exist in easily transferrable form. I'm, happy I transfereed my uncut stereo laser disc to dvd-r already. You guys are right =- the dvd cover is butt ugly. this film had good artwork and even better artwork overseas - I have a giant Italian poster that is to die for.

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 02:18 PM

Joe, how short is the short version? This was on the tube awhile back at 3hrs and 2min +/-. IMDB has it a 3hrs & 9m - in stereo. If they screw this up I'm really going to be pissed. Glenn

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 04:09 PM

I remember the short version actually being on one tape back in the cbs/fox video days, so I am assuming 2hr40min?

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,601 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 29 2004 - 07:12 PM

I for one will be giving this a pass if it's the abbreviated version. How sad. This is really a fine film that deserves better treatment.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,945 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 10:37 PM

I think the short version was 164 min. It cut a lot of the footage of the voyage from New England to Hawaii. When CBS first showed the film, they ran the uncut version on two night. Later, on rerun, theyran it all on one night and made further cuts. the gang left New England, we went to a commercial and when wwe cmae back, they were landing in Hawaii !!! the laserdisc had a very good remixed stereo track. Hawaii is famous among film buffs as possibly being the only film in 70mm and MONO. (U A ran out of money and didn't want to do a stereo mix). The 70mm prints did have high quality sound as it was magnetic mon rather than optical sound.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Erik_H

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 01:36 AM

Quick note about the footage of the voyage from New England to Hawaii in "Hawaii": Bette Midler can be spotted among the extras on the boat.

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 03:53 AM

Just in case anyone is interested, Hawaii will be on TCM on 2/15/2005, at 2:00 a.m. The TCM site lists 189 minutes, letterboxed (so, widescreen).

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 04:45 AM

So, if I'm understanding the usual litany of complaints-in-advance here - people will be passing on this if it's in mono even though the original release was in mono? I'd be passing on it if it wasn't in mono, since I do like to have the presentation match the original release of the film in theaters. As to the running time, I do believe that remains unknown in terms of the DVD.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 05:56 AM

They showed the nudity?? On CBS??

Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn

Second Unit

• 354 posts
  • LocationNorth Conway, NH

Posted December 30 2004 - 06:00 AM

Another film directed by George Roy Hill out on DVD; very good news indeed! IMDB lists the alternate versions of the film thusly: Original version ran 189 minutes; subsequently cut to 171 minutes. The general release version ran 151 minutes. Full-length version available on home video. I would much prefer the original version that ran 189 minutes. As a young director Hill tried to be somewhat faithful to Michener, and that's alot of material to try fit into a film. I think we need the full 189 minutes. I find it kind of interesting to note that although George Roy Hill is known for his director's "eye" and not his "ear," Mr. Hill graduated from Yale with a degree in music. I've read that he had direct input on the scores for all of his films, even those scored by the likes of Bacharach, Hamlisch and Bernstein. I would like to hear this film the way Mr. Hill and Mr. Bernstein intended us to hear it.

Jean Louise, Jean Louise stand up; Your father's passing.

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 30 2004 - 09:57 AM

Mono is ok with me. I just have to have the 189 min version in OAR. Glenn

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,601 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 03:50 AM

ArthurMy: Where did you get that? No one said that. I was the only one who talked about passing on the purchase, and that was solely related to whether it was the abbreviated version.

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 04:00 AM

Hmmm, looking back on the thread I see you're right. It was the way the original post was worded, I guess - "Will there be a stereo track" and then everyone worrying about the running time, etc. I will promise not to jump to that conclusion again, although its based on the endless worrying-in-advance. Since this is MGM/UA, I suppose one should worry, since they are, for me, hands down the worst studio in terms of actually being a studio, and delivering DVDs that one would actually like to play. In any case, sorry for not reading the thread more carefully.

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,601 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 04:07 AM

Guilty. But, that's one of the great joys of a forum like this.Posted Image

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,407 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 07:38 PM

It goes without saying that I want the long version but I also want the complete roadshow version meaning the overture, intermission music and exit music by Elmer Bernstein who was Oscar nominated for his score. Don't give a hoot about a stereo track as long as they include the original mono track.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 02:53 AM

Movies Unlimited is listing the HAWAII dvd with a 161 minute running time plus trailer plus featurette. The film has one of the great Elmer Bernstein scores that demands the Overture, Entr'Act, and Exit Music. (Verese Sarabande released a great double cd of this.)
Charles Hoyt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users