What's new

Surround sound speaker question... (1 Viewer)

Peter TD

Auditioning
I bought the Logitech Z-5300's a few months back and I was wondering whether it would be possible to hook them up to my new TV (Hitachi 51F510). With my old TV I managed to get them hooked up with my Xbox to watch movies but I couldn't really be bothered to use them for regular TV. Now that I have an HDTV compatible TV along with the 'Illico' HDTV box, I would like to know if it's even a possibility to get surround sound on broadcast TV.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Whether or not you can receive true surround sound depends on your cable/satellite service, not your TV (HD or not).

DirecTV, for example, includes 5.1 surround with most HD broadcasts, as well as with many movies on the premium stations like HBO. Other than that, you can get simulated surround using Dolby Pro Logic.

If you're asking how to hook it up, just connect the digital out from your HDTV box to your receiver, and you're all set. Your receiver might have an "auto" setting that uses Dolby Digital when available, but applies Pro Logic to stereo broadcasts.

--Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks