Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#21 of 229 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 07 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'd buy myself seasons 2 & 3 for Christmas right now if they were available.

Originally Posted by Steve...O 
The first season was a fine release and I'd like to see later ones continue that trend.

#22 of 229 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted December 08 2012 - 02:23 AM

Releasing these via MOD will be a real disappointment is that is what WHV decides to do.    The first season was a fine release and I'd like to see later ones continue that trend.   CBS/P has released to retail multiple seasons of their westerns (Gunsmoke, Bonanza, HGWT, Rawhide), and for WHV to relegate one of their flagship series to MOD would be a disservice to the show and its fans.

Exactly!

#23 of 229 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 04:37 AM

Maverick Season 2 is continuing via retail with a release scheduled for April 23. Sales must have been pretty good for this series.

#24 of 229 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,637 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 05:25 AM

Wow, nice! :banana::rock::drum::dance:

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#25 of 229 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted January 09 2013 - 05:57 AM

Maverick Season 2 is continuing via retail with a release scheduled for April 23. Sales must have been pretty good for this series.

Great news!

Wow, nice! :banana::rock::drum::dance:

Couldn't have said it better, Peter! WooHoo!!! :D

#26 of 229 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 09 2013 - 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

Maverick Season 2 is continuing via retail with a release scheduled for April 23

Fantastic news, and I'm glad to see they've kept the price.

---------------

#27 of 229 OFFLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted January 09 2013 - 01:14 PM

Fantastic news, and I'm glad to see they've kept the price. ---------------

Absolutely great news! And to get this terrific series for a little over a dollar per episode (with pre-order discount) is even better! Thank you WB!

#28 of 229 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 09 2013 - 02:24 PM

As excited as I am about this release, I'm a little disappointed to see the 26 episodes on just six discs.  This will put five episodes on two of the DVDs, quite a tight fit unless they're double sided.

---------------

#29 of 229 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted January 10 2013 - 02:35 AM

As excited as I am about this release, I'm a little disappointed to see the 26 episodes on just six discs.  This will put five episodes on two of the DVDs, quite a tight fit unless they're double sided. ---------------

Here is the disk by disk episode listing from our friends at TVShowsonDVD.com: Disc 1: The Day They Hanged Bret Maverick The Lonesome Reunion Alias Bart Maverick The Belcastle Brand Disc 2: High Card Hangs Escape to Tampico The Judas Mask The Jail at Junction Flats Disc 3: The Thirty-Ninth Star Shady Deal at Sunny Acres Island in the Swamp Prey of the Cat Disc 4: The Spanish Doctor Holiday at Hollow Rock Game of Chance Gun-Shy Disc 5: Two Beggars on Horseback The Rivals Duel at Sundown Yellow River The Saga of Waco Williams Disc 6: Brasada Spur Passage to Fort Doom Two Tickets to Ten Strike Betrayal The Strange Journey of Jenny Hill Considering the first season was 27 episodes on 7 disks you would have thought they'd go with 7 disks and have 3 episodes on 2 of them. Oh well. I'll still take this over a MOD release! :)

#30 of 229 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,315 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:24 AM

If the stories are as consistently good as the first season, this is a no-brainer. What a terrific show.

#31 of 229 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,109 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 08:29 AM

Season 2 takes care of two of the three episodes from the old "sampler" disc. "Shady Deal At Sunny Acres" is the last big gathering of all the great recurring guests of the first couple years (Samantha Crawford, Diamon Jim Buckley etc.) while "Gun Shy" is the hilarious take-off of "Gunsmoke".

#32 of 229 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 01:34 PM

I just purchased season one for $14.99 with free shipping at the WBshop.com.

http://www.wbshop.co...yes&from=Search

I'm not that familiar with the show and I don't think I've ever seen it in syndication, but I like other westerns from that era like Bat Masterson and the Rifleman, so I'm willing to give it a shot and $15 for 7 discs sounds like a bargain.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#33 of 229 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 07:03 AM

I just purchased season one for $14.99 with free shipping at the WBshop.com. http://www.wbshop.co...yes&from=Search I'm not that familiar with the show and I don't think I've ever seen it in syndication, but I like other westerns from that era like Bat Masterson and the Rifleman, so I'm willing to give it a shot and $15 for 7 discs sounds like a bargain.

Thanks for the WBShop tip. Just ordered season 1 myself.

#34 of 229 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,315 posts

Posted September 21 2013 - 06:03 PM

Does anyone know how many episodes of Maverick that James Garner stars in the Third Season? I just finished watching the second, thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the third, but I understand this is the year he did less than half the season. That could affect my decision whenever this comes out.

#35 of 229 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 21 2013 - 08:37 PM

Does anyone know how many episodes of Maverick that James Garner stars in the Third Season? I just finished watching the second, thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the third, but I understand this is the year he did less than half the season. That could affect my decision whenever this comes out.

Ain't Wikipedia great?

I count 15 out of the 26.

Edited by Mark-P, September 21 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#36 of 229 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,288 posts

Posted September 21 2013 - 08:41 PM

Plus one in season four, so they can still advertise him...

#37 of 229 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,315 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ain't Wikipedia great?

I count 15 out of the 26.

Thanks. That's good enough to go for it. Now, we just need a release date.

#38 of 229 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted September 23 2013 - 07:26 AM

Season 3 is generally considered the best season of the series.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#39 of 229 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:30 PM

Well, there it is: http://www.hometheat...ilms/?p=4007991

The best season (as one esteemed commentary suggested) of Maverick, also the one where Garner is still a regular cast member, prior to his contract issues and various studio replacement ploys...

#40 of 229 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,109 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:48 PM

So Warner Archive took over the series already.    I kind of figured they would eventually, but thought it might not be until S4 when Garner was by then gone but for the one leftover episode.       But this will probably mean we'll see the series finished sooner than we would have had WHV continued.

The timing is perfect for me because in the last few weeks I'd finished up S1 at long last and finally cracked open S2 of which I'm now nine episodes from completing.    I regret very much the fact that after S2 we no longer see those great guest stars like Efrem Zimbalist's Dandy Jim Buckley (Zimbalist being busy with "77 Sunset Strip" by now) and more importantly, Diane Brewster's Samantha Crawford.      She is one of the best written and portrayed female characters of 50s TV I've ever seen and could easily have had her own series IMO if they'd been daring enough.

S2 has been a lot of fun to go through, but I have to take a minute to wonder how in the world an overly dark episode "Prey Of The Cat" wound up in this series.    I know the Jack Kelly solo episodes gravitated more toward the serious than Garner's, but this episode *really* puts you through the wringer up to the last second, and part of the reason is one of the most incredible performances of pure psychopathic insanity I've ever seen from guest star Patricia Barry.    It's something straight out of Tony Perkins slow nuanced transformation from likability to madness in "Psycho"  that is chilling to watch.   And then incredibly, six weeks later, there's Barry again in another role as a Samantha Crawford style sidekick to both Maverick brothers in the comically light (and typical for the show)  "Beggars On Horseback"  (and it's a testament to how good an actress she is that he handles these different parts in these wildly disparate episodes perfectly so that thankfully while enjoying "Beggars"  you don't recall her chilling performance of "Prey").      

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users