Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Court Jester?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 John Madia

John Madia

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 03:46 PM

I'm interested in picking up The Court Jester and was wondering what the quality of the DVD is like. Also, would this movie make a good double feature with The Adventures of Robin Hood?

#2 of 24 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 04:32 PM

Paramount's COURT JESTER is acceptable on DVD, but one wishes it would get the kind of VistaVision restoration that WB gave NORTH BY NORTHWEST and HIGH SOCIETY.

Still, it's a TERRIFIC movie, and at least the film is presented in anamorphic with proper aspect ratio. At the reasonable price you'd pay, it's certainly worth it. The merely adequate picture & sound quality is certainly compensated by the brilliance of the wit of the film itself.

#3 of 24 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted December 26 2004 - 06:50 PM

Let's see... the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true... Posted Image

It's VERY worth owning, however...

Paramount's DVD is mediocre. The image is blurry and lacks any sort of real details. It's dirty and the source used to make the print used for the transfer must have been photographed through a very dirty optical printer. It looks like someone sneezed on a lens and there's snot in the upper right corner throughout the movie. The color seems to be great, though. The old pan & scan transfer didn't suffer too much from the blurriness, but the colors shifted from shot to shot (often to a brownish tint).

Posted Image

This is one film that absolutely needs a full restoration to make the VistaVision logo mean something.

Despite the ugly look of the film probably caused by using a poorly made dupe, I feel it's worth a purchase. One of the funniest movies ever made.

If Paramount did a full-scale restoration and remaster, I'd buy the SE just like that! *snap*

#4 of 24 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted December 26 2004 - 09:20 PM

If Paramount did a full-scale restoration and remaster, I'd buy the SE just like that! *snap*

Seconded; the cable transmissions in the UK are far superior to the current DVD release. To be fair, Paramounts more recent output has been so much better than this.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 24 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 12:46 AM

Quote:
Let's see... the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true...

But, they broke the chalice from the palace... The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

I love this film. I've been waiting for it to be done up right on DVD... but I may cave and get the current disc at a bargain price.

-Scott

#6 of 24 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,311 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 01:15 AM

Mr. McCart is (again) correctly describing the situation.

The Vista Oneg is faded.

The separation masters were comped together to a dupe negative in 4 perf, which means that the final element ( a dupe negative) is overly contrasty, do to three optical steps, and is of the pre-wetgate era, which means that all damage is printed in.

Wonderful film.

Paramount's prices are always reasonable. A buy.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 24 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted December 27 2004 - 01:27 AM

It looks like someone sneezed on a lens and there's snot in the upper right corner throughout the movie.

Hmmm; very puzzling that isn't it? Is that the 'damage printed in' you speak of Robert?
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 24 ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 06:13 AM

To be fair, this was an early Paramount DVD - the fact that it's anamorphic is reason for happiness. I think it would look better, even using the current elements, if they did it anew, with wetgate and all. The color, after all, is perfect, Oneg not withstanding. And let's face it, they were not going to be transfering from the VistaVision negative anyway.

#9 of 24 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 07:40 AM

http://www.loc.gov/film/nfr2004.html

The Court Jester was chosen (along with 24 other great features and shorts) to be on the Library of Congress' 2004 National Film Registry list. This list was just released today.

According to Paramount's Film Preservation page (http://www.paramount..../projects.html), the studio holds the following elements:

# Original camera negative (VistaVision)
# IN
# IP
# YCM separation masters (VisaVision)
# YCM separation masters (4 perf)
# Magnetic mono composite audio master
# Music and effects magnetic masters
# High Definition tape master

So, this honor would be a nice opportunity to create a brand new restoration. It would be neat if the film could get a big 50th anniversary re-release in 2006.

Paramount must be able to do something better. Their To Catch a Thief DVD came from 8 perf separations (according to the website) and it looks much better.

#10 of 24 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,311 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 10:38 AM

All Vista productions "come from" 8 perf elements at some point in the food chain.

As I understand it, Court Jester came from a 4 perf duplicate negative, optically derived via reduction from the 8 perf separation masters.

Paramount is a studio extremely sensitive to the quality of their film elements and has upgraded the way that many of these elements are now handled.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#11 of 24 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,102 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 01:15 AM

"Paramount is a studio extremely sensitive to the quality of their film elements and has upgraded the way that many of these elements are now handled."

"Now" being the key word. Let's not forget their "Asset Protection Program" of the early 90's, when they did some irreversible damage to the master 35mm elements of their 3-D features...

RCF

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

From Daily Variety, four days before the start of principal photography. This listing would remain

for over two months until the film wrapped production in late November 1954.

f75e4e81-ad94-4afd-8b61-5ad8ca634c18_zps

#12 of 24 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 31 2004 - 12:36 PM

Quote:
"Now" being the key word. Let's not forget their "Asset Protection Program" of the early 90's, when they did some irreversible damage to the master 35mm elements of their 3-D features...
That's the rub as always. It's futile to shake one's fist at the Paramount logo since the leadership (as with many media companies) has churned almost beyond recognition in the last dozen years. At least they seem to be doing things the right way now.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 24 David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 05:11 PM

Was recently reading This thread, which referenced this current thread.

I, too, would welcome a new edition of "The Court Jester".

The Robin Hood parody is superb.

I wonder if anyone knows of any plans(?)

DG
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

#14 of 24 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted May 07 2005 - 03:08 PM

How timely for you to resurrect this discussion of THE COURT JESTER, since the longshot winner of today's Kentucky Derby was Giacomo. Posted Image

#15 of 24 PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted May 07 2005 - 05:38 PM

When I heard who won the Derby today, my immediate reaction said to my brother without thought was "King of Jesters and Jester of Kings". He understood, too.

PatH

#16 of 24 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 06:19 AM

I repeat one of my earlier posts, but Paramount should seriously consider a 50th anniversary remastered edition for next year.

#17 of 24 David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 09:11 AM

Or, perhaps, a Danny Kaye box set. I'm ready to buy.

DG
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

#18 of 24 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 09:44 AM

I'd gladly rebuy an improved Court Jester, but what I really want is the never released Up in Arms.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#19 of 24 Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 05:03 AM

I'd gladly rebuy an improved Court Jester, but what I really want is the never released Up in Arms.

Seconded! Posted Image
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#20 of 24 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted May 09 2005 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, there are a number of films I would like them to get to before re-doing "Court Jester", including "Up in Arms" and "Knock on Wood", but if it's not an either-or proposition, I'd be happy to see a new SE.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Forum Nav Content I Follow