What's new

130,000+ people die due to tidal wave in Asia... (1 Viewer)

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
The death toll is at 11,500 now and rising. :frowning: The devastation there is unbelievable. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Crazy. Just crazy. I can't even imagine what it would be like. There were reports that people off the coast felt a tremble and thought it was just an earthquake and went back to sleep. When they woke up they saw the devistation.

Crazy.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was just reading an article about how the tsunami was created, very interesting. This earthquake happened about 25 miles below the sea, and was estimated to have lasted for a few seconds. That's enough though to push all the water above it up just a few feet and start the tsunami... pretty amazing stuff. It said the speed of it was estimated to be about 300 miles per hour at the start, but it dies down after a while, and when it reached the shores of Thailand it was more like a tenth of that... still, for it to reach all the way to Africa, there's a LOT of energy there.

Thailand is a very popular tourist destination for Swedes, so it's estimated that about 20,000 Swedes were in the Thai areas hit by the earthquake, that's why I read so much about it. Sad, but when there's not much local interest in it for me, these things kind of slip under my radar, so to speak.

I guess at least it was a good thing that the eartquake was at sea. I imagine the devastation had it been on land would have been much worse.

/Mike

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Its getting tremendous coverage here, I have been following it since the beginning, so don't even think that its not...this is truly sad. My thoughts and prayers are with those people, and it is only going to get worse with contamination and other sanitary issues.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
My sister was on the Island of Phuket when the the earthquake hit; she said it shook so hard that cars slid around, etc. She flew out to Bangkok today, but will head back to Thailand tomorrow morning.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I heard that it hit at 500 mph, but that was a local radio station, so I don't know how accurate that was.

Damn! With the weird snow we've been having in the US and this...Someone (up there) is Angry! :frowning:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I read an article that people were being swepped several miles out to sea. I can't even imagine what that scene must've looked like.

I've always been fascinated with oceanography and plate tectonics. A large shift in the level of the ocean floor causes a displacement of water at the surface resulting in a tidal wave (or Tsunami... depending on what side of the globe you're on). The wave can travel at high speeds for great distances pretty much as a harmless swell until it reaches shallower water where it slows and its wavelength starts to become compressed and it's amplitude increases, creating that "wall-of-water".

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Need more details. I used to get email notices about seismic activity. When exactly did the quake occur? How many miles was it to Ceylon? Would there have been any opportunity to warn those near the water?
If they had heard a warning would MORE people have drowned?
"Let's go down to the beach and watch the big wave come in!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks