Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ben Browder joins Stargate SG-1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 11:06 AM

http://www.gateworld....argatesg.shtml

Well, the shooting schedule is seven months long and starts this summer, so I don't see more Farscape starting up in the next year.

Farscape boards are reporting that Claudia Black will be back for a 5-episode arc.

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   JohnCZ

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 05:23 PM

I'm happy for Ben & Claudia. Glad that they did not disappear.

But I'm going to be ticked off for a long time at the Sci-Fi channel and it's cancellation of the Farscape series. It also gets my goat that Sci-Fi has no intention of selling it to anyone. I guess they would, for the right outrageous price.

Posted Image

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 06:14 PM

Sci-Fi doesn't own Farscape, they just owned the exclusive North American rights to show Farscape (and just the seasons that they helped to fund) for a certain number of years. Farscape reruns enter syndication in 2005, and if Henson can get a different network to pick up a new season or miniseries, they can. In fact, if another network were willing to pay more, the Peacekeeper Wars miniseris could have ended up elsewhere.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 10:06 PM

Im looking forward to season 9 now. Im a big fan of the stargate franchice and a season 9 without much of RDA and Amanada Tapping(Who is pregnant) would have hurt the show. Bringing in Browder (whose charector is linked to a main event in season 7) helps get someone else in there to influx some new blood when tapping or RDA arent there. Looking forward to seeing his charector with Teal'c and Daniel. Also Clauda Black for 5 more episodes is a bonus Posted Image She is excellent in the next episode Promerthius Unbound

capt

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   JohnCZ

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted December 24 2004 - 03:13 AM

Thanks Michael. I'm hoping that Farscape does get picked up. As for SG-1. I hope it survives and even improves with the addition of Ben. Its going to be tough though, its always a little scary when main characters are moved away from the core content. Any idea what is going to happen to the O'Neal Charatcter?

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 24 2004 - 09:36 AM

I'm pretty new to SG-1. Just started watching it this season. Was Anderson talking about leaving the show previously? Is that why he was bumped up to commander (less face time). Anyone know the real deal? Nice to hear Browder will have a regular gig, though i can't imagine Stargate has much more life left in it. Ric

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted December 25 2004 - 07:40 AM

This is good news. My first experience with "Farscape" was the miniseries and now my PVR is recording all the old ones and I really like Ben Browder and Claudia Black. Good to know that SG-1 will have a 9th season.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted December 25 2004 - 11:27 AM

It hasn't had much life in it for the last three years - I just keep watching it because every year they tell us that THIS year will be the final one and I tell myself that I've come this far so I'll stick with it until the end.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 25 2004 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the response Chris. So what's Anderson's beef? He just tired of going to work everyday, like the rest of us? I guess I picked a funny time to come on board, but with Atlantis starting up, I thought I'd give both a try. What I have noticed of SG-1 is that they don't seem to go out much anymore. Must be to costly and they have to do more "bottle" shows. Ric

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 25 2004 - 02:29 PM

Not unreasonable, when you consider home is LA and work is Vancouver, and apparently his family isn't inclined to head north either full-time of for six months out of the year.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Dewitte

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 02:40 AM

That's precisely it. You can expect more bottle shows in the future. De
Retroactive Continuity - Yet another source of nuttiness on the Web!

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,022 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 05:00 AM

I've started watching the Farscape Starburst Season 1 DVD, and Ben reminds me of Bill Paxton in his voice, though not as sarcastic. Hope his acting got better from season 1 of Farscape because it was only okay then.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 06:22 PM

Patrick, From distant memory, I'd say Browder's chops get better some as the show progresses, but maybe he's just not your cup of tea. There are certainly TV actors with more depth, but for me, Browder's charisma and energy help to make up for any shortcomings. I find him likeable and I certainly think he has enough range for what space operas demand. As far as Stargate goes, I've watched scattered eps over the years and the show has never grabbed me the way that Farscape and Firefly have. I just watched the new Claudia Black "Prometheus Unbound" episode, and I'm still less than impressed with the show as a whole. I'll give it a looksee next year, though.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 06:39 PM

From BBC Cult TV: Hot on the heels of the announcement by Sci Fi Channel that Ben Browder would be joining the cast of Stargate SG-1, comes the news that Claudia Black will return to the series to appear alongside her Farscape co-star. Whereas Browder will be a series regular, Black will appear halfway through the ninth season in a five episode story arc. Black makes her debut in the eighth season episode Prometheus Unbound, which will broadcast [on] 21 December on Sky One. She plays Vala, an alien who hijacks the spaceship Prometheus to transport her people, and who strikes up a friendship with Daniel Jackson in the process. Gateworld reports that the 5-episode deal "has been extended to the actress, but the deal is still in progress and has yet to be formalized."

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 01:12 AM

It isn't totally unreasonable think that the members of SG1 would move on from being front line 'new world each week' explorers after 8+ years, as much as some would like to keep the formula the same, some change was always inevitable. Besides when was the last time they went to a planet was wasn't a forest set?

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 05:13 AM

...or a desert. I have the first 7 seasons, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should stop here. The original cast clicked, and with some gone, it isn't the same. It was tough getting through Jackson leaving a few years back, but he came back. I think the show has played out for me, and as much I regret saying it, they should stop it before it dies on its own. Really sad. Glenn

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 06:53 AM

Oh boooo Hoooo. How many actors are lucky enough to get two hit shows? I'll tune into see Ben but as much as I've tried, I just cant get into this show.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 07:22 AM

That's just cold. I mean, we're talking about a guy potentially being away from his family for half the year for, like, a decade, or asking them to relocate even if his wife has a successful career of her own. Which probably seems an especially unreasonable thing to do to Anderson, who knows exactly how treacherous and uncertain working in TV can be.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 08:50 AM

Hmmm, I don't know about this. I mean, I like the addition of Browder but I don't know how good SG-1 would be without Anderson or with a limited presence. To me, he's the one that's made the show the hit it is and IMO, the show has suffered a bit since he was promoted to general and wasn't going out on missions anymore. But I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt.
Andres

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 09:46 AM

How is it cold? He gets paid more than we will ever make and he is on a hit show. I think I am tired of Actors complaining when they knew what being an actor consists of.