What's new

Ben Browder joins Stargate SG-1 (1 Viewer)

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy for Ben & Claudia. Glad that they did not disappear.

But I'm going to be ticked off for a long time at the Sci-Fi channel and it's cancellation of the Farscape series. It also gets my goat that Sci-Fi has no intention of selling it to anyone. I guess they would, for the right outrageous price.

:angry:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Sci-Fi doesn't own Farscape, they just owned the exclusive North American rights to show Farscape (and just the seasons that they helped to fund) for a certain number of years.

Farscape reruns enter syndication in 2005, and if Henson can get a different network to pick up a new season or miniseries, they can. In fact, if another network were willing to pay more, the Peacekeeper Wars miniseris could have ended up elsewhere.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Im looking forward to season 9 now. Im a big fan of the stargate franchice and a season 9 without much of RDA and Amanada Tapping(Who is pregnant) would have hurt the show. Bringing in Browder (whose charector is linked to a main event in season 7) helps get someone else in there to influx some new blood when tapping or RDA arent there. Looking forward to seeing his charector with Teal'c and Daniel. Also Clauda Black for 5 more episodes is a bonus :D She is excellent in the next episode Promerthius Unbound

capt

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael. I'm hoping that Farscape does get picked up.

As for SG-1. I hope it survives and even improves with the addition of Ben. Its going to be tough though, its always a little scary when main characters are moved away from the core content. Any idea what is going to happen to the O'Neal Charatcter?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty new to SG-1. Just started watching it this season. Was Anderson talking about leaving the show previously? Is that why he was bumped up to commander (less face time). Anyone know the real deal? Nice to hear Browder will have a regular gig, though i can't imagine Stargate has much more life left in it.

Ric

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
This is good news. My first experience with "Farscape" was the miniseries and now my PVR is recording all the old ones and I really like Ben Browder and Claudia Black.

Good to know that SG-1 will have a 9th season.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

It hasn't had much life in it for the last three years - I just keep watching it because every year they tell us that THIS year will be the final one and I tell myself that I've come this far so I'll stick with it until the end.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response Chris. So what's Anderson's beef? He just tired of going to work everyday, like the rest of us?

I guess I picked a funny time to come on board, but with Atlantis starting up, I thought I'd give both a try. What I have noticed of SG-1 is that they don't seem to go out much anymore. Must be to costly and they have to do more "bottle" shows.

Ric

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not unreasonable, when you consider home is LA and work is Vancouver, and apparently his family isn't inclined to head north either full-time of for six months out of the year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've started watching the Farscape Starburst Season 1 DVD, and Ben reminds me of Bill Paxton in his voice, though not as sarcastic. Hope his acting got better from season 1 of Farscape because it was only okay then.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

From distant memory, I'd say Browder's chops get better some as the show progresses, but maybe he's just not your cup of tea.

There are certainly TV actors with more depth, but for me, Browder's charisma and energy help to make up for any shortcomings. I find him likeable and I certainly think he has enough range for what space operas demand.

As far as Stargate goes, I've watched scattered eps over the years and the show has never grabbed me the way that Farscape and Firefly have. I just watched the new Claudia Black "Prometheus Unbound" episode, and I'm still less than impressed with the show as a whole. I'll give it a looksee next year, though.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
From BBC Cult TV:

Hot on the heels of the announcement by Sci Fi Channel that Ben Browder would be joining the cast of Stargate SG-1, comes the news that Claudia Black will return to the series to appear alongside her Farscape co-star.

Whereas Browder will be a series regular, Black will appear halfway through the ninth season in a five episode story arc.

Black makes her debut in the eighth season episode Prometheus Unbound, which will broadcast [on] 21 December on Sky One.

She plays Vala, an alien who hijacks the spaceship Prometheus to transport her people, and who strikes up a friendship with Daniel Jackson in the process.

Gateworld reports that the 5-episode deal "has been extended to the actress, but the deal is still in progress and has yet to be formalized."

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
It isn't totally unreasonable think that the members of SG1 would move on from being front line 'new world each week' explorers after 8+ years, as much as some would like to keep the formula the same, some change was always inevitable. Besides when was the last time they went to a planet was wasn't a forest set?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
...or a desert. I have the first 7 seasons, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should stop here. The original cast clicked, and with some gone, it isn't the same. It was tough getting through Jackson leaving a few years back, but he came back.

I think the show has played out for me, and as much I regret saying it, they should stop it before it dies on its own. Really sad.

Glenn

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Oh boooo Hoooo. How many actors are lucky enough to get two hit shows?

I'll tune into see Ben but as much as I've tried, I just cant get into this show.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's just cold. I mean, we're talking about a guy potentially being away from his family for half the year for, like, a decade, or asking them to relocate even if his wife has a successful career of her own. Which probably seems an especially unreasonable thing to do to Anderson, who knows exactly how treacherous and uncertain working in TV can be.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I don't know about this. I mean, I like the addition of Browder but I don't know how good SG-1 would be without Anderson or with a limited presence. To me, he's the one that's made the show the hit it is and IMO, the show has suffered a bit since he was promoted to general and wasn't going out on missions anymore.

But I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
How is it cold? He gets paid more than we will ever make and he is on a hit show. I think I am tired of Actors complaining when they knew what being an actor consists of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks