What's new

MILLENNIUM Season 2 DVD Reviews (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If the sixth-month period between the first and second season is any indicator, we should have Season 3 by July. Fox faithfully followed that pattern with "X-Files" and I'd be incredibly surprised if they didn't repeat it with "Millennium". With "Lone Gunmen" coming in March, every episode of television Ten Thirteen ever produced will be on DVD within 7 months.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Can't wait to get my hands on season two, but I'll have to pass on season three. I didn't really care for the third season, from what I watched. (And I bailed on it early, as it seemed like they tried to minimize what happened at the end of season two and make the whole thing into an X-Files Lite.)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Every Millennium thread of course needs the requisite put-down of Season 3 :) It was a terrible season, and can't hold a candle to what came before. I'm worried about money right now, but I would love to own season two, as I think its one of the great seasons of television.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The only problem I had with season 3 is the early S3 episodes were mostly weak until the season picked up some steam later on with some great episodes like Borrowed Time, Collateral Damage, The Sound of Snow, and Seven and One.

You even get Lucy Butler to pop up again for Antipas.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Thanks to the great reviews here, I rented S1 & loved it. The show got incredibly intense at the end of the season, so I'm really primed for S2.
From what I've read, S2 is even better. May have to buy, not rent, come 1/4...

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm in, after how incredible Season 1 was, but I am a little worried. All I have seen of Season 2 was the first ep a few weeks back (I'll admit I got impatient after finishing my season one set and got the first ep of Season 2 off of a recently defunct Torrent site). With Morgan and Wong in charge, they seemed to have hit the reset button on the show a little bit.

From that episode alone, they say that Frank wasn't actually a member of the Millennium group for all of season 1, simply a candidate. Everything you see in season 1 tends to indicate he was a member, recruited by Mike Atkins, and well known by every other member. Secondly, they seem to already, one episode in, be shifting Frank's primary source of conflict from Lucy/Satan/some kind of all encompassing demonic force to the Group itself. Humor also seems to have reared its head, and while I question putting any humor in this show at all, I enjoy Morgan and Wong's brand of humor.

I might be in the minority, but I didn't mind season one's "Serial Killer Of The Week" formula, since it was so well written and acted. I did wish they had inserted a couple more episodes dealing with Frank's struggle against the forces seemingly out to destroy his work, his family, and himself, like Lamentations, Maranatha, etc.

Basically, will I be disappointed in the changes season 2 brings?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Frank was always a consultant for the Millennium Group in Season One. He was never a full member. Although, I can defintiely see why you'd think he was since they very rarely bring up that he was only a candidate for memebrship.

It's funny but from what I've read (some of which may be totally false), it doesn't seem like anyone at 1013 was happy with Morgan and Wong's changes between seasons one and two. Chief among them Lance Henriksen. Most fans, however, will tell it's one of the best seasons of television ever produced.

As for the humor, if you like Darin Morgan's X-File episodes (such as Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space"), you'll love his Millennium episodes. Don't worry there's only two episodes that are comedies and, to me, they are highpoints in the series. Season Two also has the scariest episode of television I have ever seen, The Mikado. I'm so happy that that episode has a commentary.

Is it January 4th yet?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Travis, that's just it. I don't think they EVER implied he was anything other than a member. Another nitpick is Peter Watts going from good friend/shoulder to lean on to ominous spokesman for the Group (though he does try and comfort Frank at one point in the episode). I'm still buying, and I'm still hyped, but I can't shake the worry I'll be a little disappointed.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Whoops...the last two posts from "Josh Simpson" were actually me...guess he logged on to my PC while visiting for the Holidays.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
In the first season, Frank was working with/for the Millennium Group, but he wasn't an initiated member. As we discovered in the second season, the group has very different public and private faces. The deeper one gets involved with the group, as Frank Black did, the more one saw what was really going on within the organization.

I was very satisfied with the direction Morgan and Wong took the series in the second season. The show was give a fleshed-out mythology and depth that was only hinted at in the first season. As entertaining as season one was in spots, I much preferred the added mystical/conspiratorial elements from the second season, which elevated Millennium above just another cop show.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I actually found the set yesterday (I've watched up to "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense") and there is no such card, unfortunately. There is the standard "Fox Television" insert but it's outdated, it even lists this set itself as an upcoming release. Still, I'm confident that both will be released before July. Fox's "Millennium" site has a place for Season 3 that says "Coming Soon" (July is purely my speculation, though, but it's reasonable to assume, based on Fox's regular "X-Files" release pattern and the time between the first and second "Millennium" releases) and I absolutely trust The Digital Bits if they say that "The Lone Gunmen" is coming in March (not to mention that amazon.com is taking pre-orders). I'd had my DVD player for less than a year when I bought the first season of "X-Files" and over five years later, it'll be great to finally own all 290 Ten Thirteen eps. The whole thing (including the "X-Files" movie) will eventually span 85 discs.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Bill, would you mind giving us an extra confirmation that the episodes are encoded in anamorphic widescreen for the Region 1 set? I want to trust David Blackwell, but Fox's own website still claims that the episodes are "full frame". Hopefully they are just pulling the same stupid mistake that befell the "Harsh Realm" DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks