What's new

XR50 and 4ohm loads? (1 Viewer)

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
good day all -- I've had my XR50 Panny for close to a year now and love it. great sounds (almost tube sounding) and has some power to keep up with good loud HT needs.

I'm looking at buying a Velodyne Deco setup - 5 - bookshelf speakers and a sub. the book shelf speakers are 4 ohm. Will my Panny be able to power them with out shutting down? The sub is self powered so the XR50 is just playing mid-bas to high

thank you in advance,

John

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's not the nominal impedance that is the problem, since some Panny users have run 4 ohms successfully. It is how often it dips down at particular fequencies, and of course, other factors like room size and loudness tastes.

Unfortunately, you won't know until you try it, and that is why you see recommendations against it, although I wouldn't rule speakers out just because of the lower impedance rating.

If you think about it, there are very few receivers in the budget category that run lower impedances well, so Panasonic is not unique in that regard.

Good Luck,

DJ

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
thank you -- I actually skipped the Deco system and bought a pair of Polk LSi7's from Tweeter. I figuered it would be a better sounding front stage (use 2 of my small Mirage AVS-100's for rear surround and skip a center for the time being)

I get home and discover the LSi7's are infact 4 ohm speakers as well - ARRRGGGGHHHHHHH :-(

I stil have them boxed up - what should I do :)

John

DerrikW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what tweeters return policy is. I would hook them up and see what happens. If it doesn't shut down, stick with em. If it does, I'd say return em, again I dont' know what tweets return policy is.

If it was circuit city on the other hand. :)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Last time I checked Tweeter has a 30 day return policy. Plug them up and see what happens.

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
cools thanks for information... on a digital amp like mine what do you folks think is an "average" too hot and will shut down time?

mackie

Supporting Actor
How does it sound? If you hear the highs getting harsh and distorted, then your amp is having trouble and you need to turn it down. On the bass, it'll sound muddy and unfocused. Most amps with a protection circuit will automatically engage it. Again, how's it sound?

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
Mackie -- to answer your question... they sounded like "crap" :-(

It was kind of weird reading your post - I connected the new LSi7's and they sounded just like you said they would, more or less. And I didn't read your post till well afterward.

I returned them to Tweeter today; they asked why I'm I returning them. I said due to them being a 4ohm speaker. Well what kind of amp do you have? A digital Panasonic!

The sales person was polite but in his own way was kind of "upset" that I would even try a Panasonic receiver with such a good speaker. And said that I should upgrade that 1st?

Oh well -- not sure what I will do next :-(

mackie

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. There are quite a few 8 ohm speakers that'll sound great. There seems to be a lot of people that are happy with the panny, so don't let the sales person make you think your equipment is sub-par. You'll just need to search for the right combination which is the whole reason for trying things at home. Polk's Rti series I believe are 8ohm rated, as are speakers from JBL, Infinity, Klipsch, and Paradigm. Tweeter and Crutchfield sells the RTi series.

My thoughts on building a home theater is to get the best speakers you can. Next, I look at receiver/amplification, and then components. I'm sure others will disagree, but this is the way I've done it.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks