What's new

Anamorphic Downconversion (if anybody still cares...) (1 Viewer)

StevenA

Second Unit
Some of us still watch anamorphic DVDs on 4:3 displays :b so can somebody update me on how various brands of player handle it?

I haven't been in the market for a DVD player since the good ol' days when this was a hot topic, so I'm not sure whether things are still the same (i.e. Sony smooth and film-like but soft; Panasonic sharp but less film-like; Toshiba a jaggies nightmare; etc...)

I'm interested in the following brands:

Sony
Panasonic
Denon (some of which used to be re-badged Panasonics, as I recall, not sure if that's still the case)
Toshiba
Pioneer
Philips (they make a multi-region capable unit I'm interested in)

Thanks in advance!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
As of a few years ago, I tested a few on my ISF'd Sony KP-61V80. Toshiba was too sharp with jaggies; Sony was too soft and less detailed; Panasonic was just right..Pioneer was pretty good too.

However, all of this may have changed. Personally, I would check out a Sony.
My brother bought the Sony entry level ($100 or so?) a year ago for his 25". I used Avia on it. Hard to tell if the downconversion has been improved (25" doesnt show many flaws as my 61"), however, the colors were very good and he had a very nice image.

I just bought a new widescreen HDTV so it's all academic to me now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks