Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anamorphic Downconversion (if anybody still cares...)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 01:25 PM

Some of us still watch anamorphic DVDs on 4:3 displays :b so can somebody update me on how various brands of player handle it?

I haven't been in the market for a DVD player since the good ol' days when this was a hot topic, so I'm not sure whether things are still the same (i.e. Sony smooth and film-like but soft; Panasonic sharp but less film-like; Toshiba a jaggies nightmare; etc...)

I'm interested in the following brands:

Sony
Panasonic
Denon (some of which used to be re-badged Panasonics, as I recall, not sure if that's still the case)
Toshiba
Pioneer
Philips (they make a multi-region capable unit I'm interested in)

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 02:40 PM

As of a few years ago, I tested a few on my ISF'd Sony KP-61V80. Toshiba was too sharp with jaggies; Sony was too soft and less detailed; Panasonic was just right..Pioneer was pretty good too.

However, all of this may have changed. Personally, I would check out a Sony.
My brother bought the Sony entry level ($100 or so?) a year ago for his 25". I used Avia on it. Hard to tell if the downconversion has been improved (25" doesnt show many flaws as my 61"), however, the colors were very good and he had a very nice image.

I just bought a new widescreen HDTV so it's all academic to me now. Posted Image

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 02:42 PM

Quote:
I just bought a new widescreen HDTV so it's all academic to me now.

Dave, I know I'm one of the last of a dying breed.

Thanks for your advice!