What's new

Karate Kid Collection - 2/1/2005 (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Which films are you referring to, exactly? I don't recall Daniel-san starting any fights (didn't see #3 or #4 though). :rolleyes

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There is another thread on this subject. The first film is a new special edition with commentary and featurettes -- I am pretty sure that it will be anamorphic widescreen. Note, however, that it will only be available in this set. The existing pan & scan version is still the only way to get the original by itself. :frowning:

Note also that this is a 3-disc set -- #3 and #4 are combined on a single disc.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Daniel goes to the "dark side" in part III, but his embracing of a more violent philosophy is never glorified, and he certainly endures a great deal of punishment as a result of his poor choices.

I'm all over this set. Part III isn't as good as I and II, and IV is best left forgotten, but I still need my KK fix :emoji_thumbsup:

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I think the whole series went to the "dark side" in part III... :)

Yeah, the Karate Kid movies did the exact opposite of "teach children to solve problems through violence."

Pretty much the first lesson Daniel learns is that he's learning karate "so I don't have to fight." Ah... very good, Daniel-san. It couldn't be any more emphasized that karate was to be used as defense only. Well, unless some viewers get brainwashed by that hypnotic Cobra-Kai mantra.

Defeat. Does not exist. In this dojo. Does it?

No sensei!

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting so long for a widescreen presentation of KK1. I'll sell parts II and III at blockbuster for $5 bucks each and then buy the new set!:D

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Hey- we did it all for love.:emoji_thumbsup: :) :emoji_thumbsup:

I still remember seeing one of the Karate Kid movies for free as a part of a July 4 promotion. Loved it, Daniel-San!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Looking forward to the reunion of 40-something Ralph Macchio with his old mentor Morita and Karate Kid's long overdue presentation in 16x9 OAR.

Regarding the violence issue, I think it's pretty clear that the good guys here fall on the side of 'fight only when necessary'.

From the eminently quotable Sensei Kreese:
This is a karate dojo not a knitting class.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't seen this in a long time and am curious if it holds up. I'm sure it will still be fun, but I can totally pass on #3 (that horrible scene on the cliff with the Bonsai tree!) and #4 (though seeing Swank pre-Oscar is kind of funny).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, wait just a minute there. Just how many 'sports movie trilogies' have been made?

Ok, that being answered, that is the best. As for the 'Next', that babysitting scene did it for me, but that's just my opinion.

I still think that it is a shame that the only way to get the first one in OAR is to buy 2 & 3 again too.

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess that shows how much I am into sports.
Wait a minute, weren't there more than 3 Rocky's? It said trilogies.

Glenn

RyanAn

Screenwriter
If anything the Karate Kid franchise made me go out and be active, learning the martial arts and getting self confidence... Saying that it promotes violence is like saying watching Dirty Work promotes exacting revenge... err. wait.

Was there ever a Bad News Bears set? What is MVP?

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks