Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any difference between progressive and interlaced?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Al L

Al L

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 21 2004 - 06:25 AM

The PLV-Z2, if I am correct, has a built in deinterlacer. When switched to "Film" mode, you have the choice of L1 or L2 progressive settings. On my DVD player I can choose either Progressive or Interlaced output. Does anyone know if the using the Sanyo's built in deinterlacer works better thatn the DVD progressive output? Thanks.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted December 21 2004 - 07:18 AM

Greetings It depends on the player. The deinterlacer is different from brand to brand. YOu have to run your own visual tests to figure out which does it better. Of course picking i or p from the DVD player is not as simple as that. YOu have to verifiy that the i or the p signal is not degraded ... as sometimes happens on DVD players. Feeding an already degraded "i" signal into a superior deinterlacer in the projector gets you nothing if vital detail has already been lost before reaching the projector. REgards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 04:45 AM

Wow, all the time I've been on this forum I've never heard that point made before. It's a very good point!! How could you tell that by the way? If it's degraded?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Al L

Al L

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 05:02 AM

I tested this out last night and found the interlaced image to be very similar, if slightly worse. I noticed more horizontal lines than in progressive mode and to me, it seemed like the image was more saturated.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,289 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 05:21 AM

Michael, Any particular test patterns on Avia you would recommend for this test?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Kin

Kin

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 03:20 AM

Hello,
Which DVD player do you have? Is it just progressive scan, or does it upscale [to higher resolutions] as well?

kin@tvauthority.com

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Al L

Al L

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 03:23 AM

I have the Sony DVp-CS985V. It has progressive scan and interlace output.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted December 23 2004 - 03:39 AM

Greetings AVIA TVL 200 REsolution chart. Look at the 6.75 mhz circle and the area around 540 lines of horizontal resolution. Switching back and for from i to p should show you what happens to the fine detail. Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,289 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 09:39 AM

Question for you.... I always thought you want a progressive scan dvd player if you own an HDTV. Why would I want interlace? Is it because my TV might perform the 3:2 reverse pulldown better? Or, some other reason? My TV is the Sony KP-57WS520.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted December 24 2004 - 12:49 AM

I always notice this when I switched to interlaced, made me think that was the better picture.