Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Floorstanding as rear surrounds??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   David Ugan

David Ugan

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 03:49 AM

Hi all. First, just wanted to say the new Pioneer vsx1014 is awesome - got it saturday. Now, anyone use floorstanders as their rears? I only have a 5.1 setup for now, but even when I go to 7.1, I would just add two surround speakers. With the advent of Dolby Digital and the channels being discreet, why not use floorstanders as the rears?? Here's what I'm running:

Klipsch kg4.2 up front
Klipsch KV3 center
JBL Subwoofer

Vanns has Klipsch SF-1 on sale for like $300 a pair. I would put those or the SF-2 as the rears. Thanks in advance!!

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:02 AM

With good bass management and a good sub, I personally don't think floorstanding speakers for the surrounds is a must for movies. If you're into multi-channel music, they would be a good thing to have. That's just my 2 cents. If I had everything else in my system that I wanted and still had cash to spend, I'd probably do it if space wasn't a constraint. To me, it's just one of those things that wouldn't hurt, but I think the money could be spent better elsewhere in my system.
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   David Ugan

David Ugan

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:13 AM

Well, I can definitely see that as floorstanders are more expensive. However, if you have to buy stands (100-150) and then a good pair of surrounds (150-300), why not get floorstanding? Especially if you can find them on sale such as the one Vanns is running. Basically, if the pricing is similar, why not get the floorstanding? The only thing I can think is maybe they're not high enough, i.e. not above ear level...

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Nick Bum

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:43 AM

I would be afraid that you would have to much bass. Also to me at least when were talking high end their is a real price diff for a floor stander vs a bookshelf so thats where it would become more of a matter. But why not go for it.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 20 2004 - 07:54 AM

There is no such thing as too much bass Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Girish

Girish

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts
  • LocationBrecksville OH

Posted December 20 2004 - 09:01 AM

I use Infinity IL50 as rears and they sound very nice.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 09:15 AM

There's definately no such thing as too much bass, especially in a properly calibrated system. If you can find quality floor standers at a good price and space is available, I say go for it if that's what you want. As I said earlier, it certainly won't hurt.
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   David Ugan

David Ugan

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 10:10 AM

thanks guys! i think i will definitely consider the klipsch sf-1s or sf-2s since they're such good prices at vanns....awesome!!