Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Roger Ebert's "Best / Worst Movies of 2004" list!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
152 replies to this topic

#1 of 153 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted December 19 2004 - 04:58 PM

Here it is:

http://rogerebert.su....SAYS/412190302

So, in short-

BEST MOVIES of 2004

1. Million Dollar Baby
2. Kill Bill Vol. 2
3. Vera Drake
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Moolade
6. The Aviator
7. Baadassss!
8. Sideways
9. Hotel Rwanda
10. Undertow

WORST MOVIES of 2004

1. (tie) "Troy"
1. (tie) "Alexander"
2. "Christmas With the Kranks"
3. "The Girl Next Door"
4. "Dogville"
5. "New York Minute"
6. "The Grudge"
7. "White Chicks"
8. "Resident Evil: Apocalypse"
9. "The Whole Ten Yards"
10. "The Village"

I find it interesting that his Special Jury Prizes had some 3 1/2 star films while excluding some 4-star movies. Plus, no mention of Collateral...ah well.

All in all, a huge Posted Image for his list! I agree with the movies I saw that were on his list...and now I have to check out the others.

BTW, odd that Troy and Alexander, while getting two stars, are the worst of the year, while the 1 star movies are not. Then again, Ebert has always said not to go by the stars, but by the reviews...

#2 of 153 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 19 2004 - 05:42 PM

Baadassss! is one of those films I found over the weekend and thought was far better then any hype it seems to not be getting.

On the other hand, one of the films on his worst list (Girl Next Door) I actually found to be a decent goofball comedy.. go figure.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#3 of 153 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted December 19 2004 - 08:12 PM

Ah, Roger (who thinks The Cell is one of the best movies of that year) Ebert. Two films that don't belong up there are Spideman II, which belongs in the list "Most Overrated Films Ever", and, of course, Dogville should be praised instead of condemned.

------------
Alex Cremers

#4 of 153 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted December 19 2004 - 10:35 PM

All in your humble opinion, of course Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#5 of 153 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 19 2004 - 10:57 PM

Good old Roger Ebert, always knew he was "one of us".Posted Image Kill Bill 2 and Spiderman 2 rated above Oscar darlings The Aviator and Sideways? And why not? :P)

Not a Shyamalamalan fan then Roger? Haven't seen The Village but if Ebert says it's as bad as White Chicks and Men in Skirts I & II, I won't even bother to rent it.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#6 of 153 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 12:47 AM

Wow, that is pretty harsh on Troy, The Girl Next Door, and The Village. I guess I can understand The Village (pissed off enough people, but I liked it)...but Troy and TGND were ordinary at worst.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#7 of 153 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,293 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 12:59 AM

Quote:
Spideman II, which belongs in the list "Most Overrated Films Ever",
?In what way?

Putting The Village in the ten worst is pushing it. Not MNS's best film but definitely not a piece of garbage either.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#8 of 153 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 01:10 AM

Pretty solid list although I was hoping for "Eternal Sunshine.." to show-up and help give it an Oscar push. (Especially since it's #2 on Roeper's list) I also thinkg that Kill Bill and Spiderman are given a bit too much credit. I finally watched Spiderman yesterday and it was mildly entertaining at best.

#9 of 153 OFFLINE   Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 01:33 AM

Although I think Roger Ebert is an incredible film historian and I love his enthousiam for the movies and I like him personally (from what I gather of him in interviews anyhow) I usually don't agree with him on movie reviews. Although that list is great. I agree with almost all of it. Who'da thunk it? Posted Image
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#10 of 153 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 01:42 AM

I like that Ebert tends to give certain films a chance where most others will not. It's great to see KILL BILL VOL. 2 on that list.

But he's not perfect - THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST belongs on the "Best" list, where THE VILLAGE has no business being among the "Worst".

#11 of 153 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 02:01 AM

I think of all the movies on Ebert's list, the ones that could get a lot of Oscar nods are:

1. The Aviator. It's the type of movie that AMPAS members love (and frankly, they want to finally award a Best Director Oscar to Martin Scorsese).

2. Million Dollar Baby. People who have seen this movie say it has a very good chance of multiple Oscar nominations, including another Best Director nod for Clint Eastwood.

3. Hotel Rwanda. Well-liked by critics, and AMPAS members like a "topical" film that is well-done.
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#12 of 153 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 02:22 AM

"Spiderman II, which belongs in the list "Most Overrated Films Ever"

IMHO its the second best comic book movie ever and will definitely make my top 10 this year.

I saw he had Twilight Samurai in his runnerup list.It had a limited US release this year but is actually a 2002 film. I was wondering whether it could be included in my list this year.

#13 of 153 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 02:35 AM

Of course the winds can always change between now and when Oscar noms get announced. However, at this point I would say there are three "shoo-ins" for Best Picture (and Best Director): The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby and Sideways. At this point it's going to be tough for any of those three to be knocked out of the running, IMHO.

#14 of 153 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 20 2004 - 02:41 AM

The only films I've seen on those lists are Kill Bill 2, Resident Evil 2, and The Whole Ten Yards.

IMO he's got KB2 too high and RE2 too low. (Critics seemed to universally hate both RE movies, while I found them both to be decent for what they were.) The Whole Ten Yards was nothing special, but I bet I could find ten worse movies if I really tried. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 153 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 02:48 AM

And now, once again, my new catch-phrase...

(ahem)

(opens mouth, uses soothing, minty-cool, throat spray)

(returns to mic)

"What, no Catwoman?"

#16 of 153 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:01 AM

Ill agree that hes being too harsh on Villiage and Girl Next Door.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#17 of 153 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
But he's not perfect - THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
Posted Image I think this tends to be overrated as well. Putting it up in the Top Ten because of the subject matter and not because of the movie itself would be a big mistake.

Would have liked Garden State to be in the Top Ten.

#18 of 153 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:49 AM

"I think this tends to be overrated as well. Putting it up in the Top Ten because of the subject matter and not because of the movie itself would be a big mistake."

And the reverse is true.

#19 of 153 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,780 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 04:55 AM

Something that Ebert is very aware of with his concise rule -

Judge films by how they are about, not what they are about.

His leaving it off of his top ten had nothing to do with the subject matter.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#20 of 153 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 05:47 AM

Some people say Spider-Man 2 is overrated. Others say it's one of the best movies of the year. I say it's both. I think it's overrated, and I don't think it's "the best superhero movie ever" (as Ebert says), but I admire it. I left it thinking "I admire that more than I like it". I agree with Ebert most of the time, and he loves all of my favourite movies, but once in a while, it upsets me that he overpraises some movies and doesn't praise others enough. My favourite superhero movie is still X2, which he liked, but called "Dumb, but good". I really hate that comment. People say Spider-Man 2 is better because it focused so much on Peter Parker's inner turmoil and difficult life, while X2 had so many characters that there wasn't enough focus on each one to make audiences "care" about them, but I disagree. I think there was enough attention given to each without overdoing it, and I cared about them.

I got really sick of all the "quiet moments" in Spider-Man 2. It's not that I can't appreciate good dialogue and want only action, but the first hour just dragged when it kept reinforcing how horrible Peter Parker's life is. I started to find the movie depressing, and I don't go to a "comic book/superhero movie" to be depressed half the time. I think Spider-Man 2 is an amazingly original, creative, and intelligent film, but the depressing beginning ruined it for me a bit.

I like X2 more, partially because I think it was paced better. Watching it, I never felt bored or wanted things to speed up. In his review of Spider-Man 2, Ebert says something like "in most superhero movies we sit through the dialogue-driven scenes impatiently and perk up during the action scenes...this is not the case in Spider-Man 2". Ironically, that's exactly how I felt during Spider-Man 2.

I don't watch many movies in theatres each year, partially because I can't afford to, and partially because I'm really picky about movies and only want to spend money on one if I'm VERY confident that it will be worth my time and money. The only other movie on any of his lists that I saw was "Kill Bill: Volume 2", and I loved it. There's a long movie that was very well paced. There were one or two scenes that were unnecessarily long, but aside from those, I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a movie I feel should have gotten more praise. It's better than Spider-Man 2 and MUCH better than the insanely overrated Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, which I got sick of due to dull characters and overused special effects.

Forum Nav Content I Follow