What's new

Did my friend make a good choice? (Energy Connoisseur) (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I have a friend, who bought Energy Connoisseur speakers. The C-9s to be more precise. He actually bought the C-7, but I told him to go with the C-9s (since he wanted to stick with the Energy brand) instead, and he did.

He has just started building his home-theater system for the very first time ever. Did he make a good choice?

I'm not too sure, as I can honestly say that I had never heard of "Energy" brand speakers until he bought them. Talking to him prior to his purchase, I had told him to audition "Infinity" since I love their laid back feel, which doesn't give me a headache like Klipsh speakers do. Later he called me that he had already bought the Engery C-7s, and the first thing I said was, "What's that?"

Has anyone else had any experience with this brand, and namely the C-9 speakers, which he just upgraded to, today? What do you guys think about them?

He paid $600 for the pair ($300 each). Are there better speakers out there for this kind of price? I'm of course talking about tower speakers, as he doesn't want any kind of bookshelf speakers.

He chose tower speakers, because of their ability to play low frequencies. Right now, he does NOT have a subwoofer of any kind. Of course, I'm going to make sure he gets an SVS, but for now, he wants tower speakers for each of the 7 channels. Are there speakers out there (for around the same price) that have better bass response than these?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
The Energy brand has an excellent reputation. I'd guess that your friend did very, very well!

Jan

David Ruiz

Second Unit
FeisalK,

AFTER, he had bought the C-7s (which I didn't even know existed) I quickly looked up the Energy speakers on Audioreview.com and found out that they were called "Energy Connoisseur." I then found, that the biggest speaker in this line, was the C-9s, which is what I told him to get, since bigger speakers would obviously have better bass response.

He's only had them for 3 days. He said they sound "ok." He didn't say he loved them, and he didn't say he hated them. What he's looking for, is good bass response, since he wants to add the subwoofer last. At the same time, he doesn't want a speaker that's too bright, because they hurt his ears, if he listens to them for long periods of time.

I'm sure he would appreciate any responses from this thread. He will definitely be reading what everyone writes here.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Bad way to buy speakers, period. I mean, anyone can at least go in to an A/V store and demo what they have and come home with what pleases them most of the brands they carry. Personally, I heard the C-9's based on positive reviews when I auditioned new speakers about 1 1/2 years ago, and they ranked very low out of the 10 or so brands I listened to in the $500-2000 a pair range. Bright and lacking bass IMO, your friend only thinks they're OK, ditch them if he still can. Have him check out some Paradigm Monitor 5's or 7's, as well as other speakers at that pricepoint.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Energy speakers are a good choice! The C9 may be a little overkill if he has a sub. I've had a full 5 speaker set of the older RVS-RVSS Energy line and they are dynamic and are very good........ and I've compared them to a LOT......

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have had a full Energy Connoisseur (Connies) set for over 4 years. C-7s are my front speakers. He made a very good buy.

Since the C-9 usually go for almost 1,000 each, I'm not sure how he got them at a price so low, but keep them.

He will want the C-C3 center, no exceptions, matching the 6.5 inch woofers and timbre. Don't let him cheap out and buy the C-C1 for the center.

The Connies have a break in period (please, no flames) of about 50-100 hours. They will "open up" on the low side and tame the highes once broken in. Matching them with a mellow receiver (Denon, H/K, etc) will give him true bliss. Even going with a bright receiver (Yamaha) will not cause them to be too bright.

The only slight downside is that the C-9 are front and rear ported so they will need to be placed away from the wall a little, say mininmum of 6" but better at a foot or more. This will allow them to breath for the lower freqs.

Finally, don't be afraid of the Energy C-R3 rear surrounds. The technology does work, they do have good low extension, and you can more flexibilty in placing, though classic Dolby Labs recommendations do produce the best results. Pick up two sets for the side surrounds and rear centers for 7.1, very sweet. Again, do not let him cheap out and get the C-R1s.

My 2 microvolts,

KenRen

WayneO

Supporting Actor
That's just a rediculous statement, which could rediculously be refutted by what I clearly see as Paradigm's greater popularity in A/V forums? Obviously I completely differ with your opinion and apparantly the friend of the poster may just as well. At least I could provide some information as to why I didn't like them. If you buy speakers that you find are only OK, RETURN THEM! Go to the same store he bought them and at least compare to other brands they carry if you're not willing to go on a demo tour.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the connoisseurs quite a lot when I listened to them. I still chose paradigm studios over them, but I still recommened that people check them out when shopping for speakers in a slightly lower price range than I was.

Very nice speakers, very nice price.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
For the price he paid for the speakers, I think that he would have a hard time finding a better speaker.

I have had several Energy speakers including the older line of Connoisseurs. The new Connoisseur line has the same tweeter as the Veritas ones I own, and that is a great sounding tweeter. I believe that they do need some time to break in.

If it was me, I would have stuck with the C-7's and added a good sub to the system. I know that I read reviews that said that the C-7's had tighter and quicker bass (although much less compared to the C-9) and by adding a sub to the mix, it gave much better results.

The great thing about speakers, is that everyone's opinion is different. One may like Energy and another may like Klipch. It's a personal taste thing. Your friend needs to decide what sounds best in his system in his house. You will always be able to find others who like certain brands of speakers.

Jeff Aguilar

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Aren't Paradigm speakers in general, considered to be "bright?" I haven't heard them myself (neither has my friend) but that's precisely what he didn't like about the Klipsch that he did audition. If that is the case, then I doubt he'd like the any of the series that Paradigm puts out. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I took a look at the specs of the Monitor series:

Monitor 5: 58Hz–20kHz
Monitor 7: 47Hz–20kHz

Those were the two suggested by Wayne, for the price range that my friend paid for his C-9s. He wants towers that are able to play deep bass (because he wants to buy the sub last) and judging by these numbers, it doesn't look like the Monitors are up to the task. The C-9s claim to have a frequency range of 31Hz-20khz which clearly go much deeper than the Monitor Series. Am I wrong?

He also bought a receiver. He did not buy it based on sound, but on budget. The Yahama RX-V1500 was on sale that day, and he bought it. I had previously recommended to him the Denon 3805, but he said that it was too expensive.

Ken, your post is very helpful. I will make sure he goes with the C-3 for the center channel, even though it's a little bit more expensive.

As for what you said about the C-9s being rear ported, just what will happen if he puts them too close to the wall? Will they not be able to play low frequency information? Right now he has them nowhere near the wall, but he said he's planning on moving everything around. He's very limited on space, as his apartment is quite small.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Ok, where were we.......oh, yeah, trying to help someone.

David,

I've heard some call the Studio's bright, not really the Monitors as far as I've seen and in my experience. I find the C9's beyond bright, as in harsh. My brother recently bought some Polk RTi12's that perform similar and remind me of the C9's. As far as published specs about FR, I've seen the published specs about C9's going lower than, say the Monitor 7's, but if you were to compare them side by side, I'd think you'd find the opposite. This was MY experience and of course formed my recommendation. As far as Klipsch, most consider not only bright, but moreso "forward", I tend to agree. Not too many speakers have similar sound to Klipsch. Sorry this suggestion became more than it should have been, but check out other options as obviously your friend shouldn't keep a speaker he doesn't like because someone tells him it is superior to something else.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, some believe price(retail) indicates quality. If he ends up liking anything better than the C9's and they happen to be cheaper, that would be a step up.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Several posts in which members got personal (and nasty) are removed. Please read our rules, your posts are in clear violation of them.

Also, you're hijacking this thread for your mutual bitching purposes, instead of helping the original poster.

This is an official warning. Next time, members will be banned from this forum.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Yikes, I might be getting deaf because I don't think of the tweeters on the Polk RTi series being bright at all. If anything, they are more laid back sounding.

Oh, regarding the C-9 purchase for $600 a pair - your friend made out like a bandit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks