Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hey, New CO & Woofs /XBL^2/ Very Interesting Drivers!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 08:00 AM

As best as I can tell, these drivers have not been mentioed here yet. Possibly for reasons, don't know. They are not available as of yet, but soon to be as best as I understand.

Some DIY'ers that forum bounce may have been following this and is not new to them, but I'm also sure many know nothing of them.

======>
Maybe Thomas W. can add some latest info on these aside from what is posted in the link to date.
======>

They look purdy yummy and pre release pricing, ~{the few estimated ones}~, make it even more interesting. Also the 2 different driver coil arrangement/set ups, one standard the other, well you read.
The other coil set up,,,,,very interesting and extremely curious to see these things used in a few different ways once someone finally gets a hold of them.

Some basic TS-params & pics are their for a 12, and 15" I belive. ~{Thank you Thomas W}~ as it's his posted info primarly their! There will also be an 18" available, and who knows what else in the future as alluded to their..

You can check it out if you like here:

Regards
Geoff ¥
*Edit* ~{12-incher}~ 27mm+ Teaser pic..
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#2 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 09:47 AM

Yes. I have been awaiting these new XBL^2 enhanced drivers. The low price and sheer performance has got me hooked on these upcoming drivers. That 18"er will knock the socks of a BP1803 I'll bet.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#3 of 73 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 10:23 AM

Yes you would certainly think so, but no pic's or basic TS-Params have been posted as of yet for the big 18" driver.

Looks like from the posting, there will possibly be 2 drivers in each series, standard and open coil. The 12" I linked to, I belive is the open coil, if so then the params are for the single coil 4-ohm /other coil open,, Xmax would be 18mm+ NOT 27mm+ that I posted...I then assume the standard 4-ohm driver, NO open coil/s, is the 27+mm.
Some what confused... Posted Image

Not real clear on many things with these drivers and info has almost come to a full stop as of late. Was supposed to be a few weeks and looks like it's taking longer than first antisapated to get the web site up and the drivers finished/finalized..

I guess when ever something comes along that has ones interests peeked and then you get a little taste/tease, time seems to pass very slowly..Posted Image

In all it's very understandable, as I'm sure Chad wants to do things "right the first time" and not rush product out before he's fully happy with it.

Time will tell....

#4 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yes you would certainly think so, but no pic's or basic TS-Params have been posted as of yet for the big 18" driver.

Here is an excerpt from ThomasW, post #59

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive, here are the T/S parameters for the 18"

Fs 16 Hz
Qms 6.0
Qes .429
Qts .40
Vas 550 Liters
Re 3.2 ohms
Znom 4 ohms
Sd 1210

I have been playing with the eighteen in Unibox for some time now. Now, it is your turn.

#5 of 73 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 10:56 AM

Scott

Well damn, how the heck did I miss that!

Whoa!
Heart rate now picks up.

Do you know if thats the 18" open coil or standard 4-ohm drivers TSP's,,, as the Xmax is supposed to be quite different...

What is the Xmax or guesstimated for either 18"???

I'd assume it's at least 20mm at a min for either.

Scratches head...

#6 of 73 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 11:21 AM

Geoff,

It's safe to assume that the 18" will have no less than 27+mm of Xmax, possibly more...... Posted Image

#7 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 11:25 AM

EDIT : Ah. Thomas beat me to it.

I have no idea if Chad plans on making a open-coil version of the eighteen but I have a feeling there won't be as much of a demand for the eighteen inchers. The Xmax is supposed to be the same as the "regular" drivers from Chad. IIRC, it is about 28mm. Similar to the Adire Brahma series but of course, this is made for the home environment.

Have fun modeling these, Geoff! Posted Image Posted Image

POST EDIT: You know, I remember hearing that the 28mm Xmax might be higher than that! Who knows how high it might be? Maybe 50mm one-way. Wow! That would be something.

#8 of 73 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 11:42 AM

Thank you Thomas and Scott for the Xmax figures!

I'll go and play for awhile now.

Ugg, the wait for more info, full TS-params, actual pricing, pic's, & what sounds like a very informative web site dealing with these specific Woofs.Posted Image

Cheers
Geoff ¥

#9 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 11:49 AM

The wait shouldn't be much longer. I have feeling that the website will be up after Christmas. Chad has mentioned that he does not want to put up a partially finished site. So until he gets all the drivers and pricing is done. If you look hard enought you might be able to stumble upon of teaser version of the site. Posted Image

#10 of 73 OFFLINE   Chad Kuypers

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
Do you know if thats the 18" open coil or standard 4-ohm drivers TSP's,,, as the Xmax is supposed to be quite different...

The larger "Avalanche" series subwoofers are not adjustable. They will be available initially in 15 and 18 inch sizes. They have dual 2 ohm voice coils so you would typically run them in series for a 4 ohm load. They have 27+ mm of xmax. The 18 incher has over 6.5 Liters of swept volume with an XBL^2 enabled motor. Posted Image It is an INCREDIBLY powerful driver to say the least.

The "Atlas" series is the one that is adjustable. However, it is actually quite simple to implement. In essence, they are 4 ohm drivers. They have both a 4 ohm and a 2 ohm voice coil. You power the 4 ohm coil with your amplifier. You leave the 2 ohm coil unpowered.

If you leave the 2 ohm coil "open" or untouched, you get a high Qts. If place a metal jumper or wire across the 2 ohm coil terminals, you get a low Qts. It is literally that simple. The adjustability was implemented mainly because I also wanted this driver to work well in IB and dipole configurations too. I am just scratching the surface on what they are capable of doing. Posted Image

The Atlas subwoofers have 18 mm of xmax and also feature XBL^2 motors. They will initially be offered in 12 and 15 inch sizes. The 15 inch version linearly sweeps nearly 3 Liters of air. Posted Image

Quote:
The wait shouldn't be much longer. I have feeling that the website will be up after Christmas. Chad has mentioned that he does not want to put up a partially finished site. So until he gets all the drivers and pricing is done. If you look hard enought you might be able to stumble upon of teaser version of the site.

In regards to availability, the Atlas subwoofers are actually completely finished and ready to go. The larger Avalanche subwoofers should be ready in about a week. The website etc. will be up on Monday at the latest. No pre-orders... Posted Image

Chad Kuypers
Ascendant Audio

#11 of 73 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 12:07 PM

Thank you Chad

That certainly clears allot up with trying to piece stuff together from the many posts and tid bits I've read..

Looking forward to your site and more on your Woofs....

Regards
Geoff ¥

#12 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 02:18 PM

Quote:
The website etc. will be up on Monday at the latest. No pre-orders...

Chad, very good news to hear, indeed! I have been waiting a good two or three months for these drivers. Yay!

By the way, you say no pre-orders will it be because they are ready to be shipped or do you just not want to get into a whole "preorder fiasco"? The reason I ask is cause I am very skeptical that the price for these drivers will not be as low as mentioned. Will the Atlas cost more to make than the Avalanche series? Under $400 for a very long-throw eighteen inch woofer sounds waaayyy too good to be true.

#13 of 73 OFFLINE   Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
Under $400 for a very long-throw eighteen inch woofer sounds waaayyy too good to be true.

Acoustic Visions was selling the BP1803 woofers for $290. 18", 26mm Xmax. They didn't have the XBL^2 motors, but a great deal nonetheless.

With the way high excursion drivers are being pumped out nowadays you would expect the prices to start coming down.

#14 of 73 OFFLINE   Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 12:57 AM

Why would the prices drop? Look at the prices charged by someone like JL Audio for their big high excursion drivers. As long as people are willing to pay the current prices, the prices won't drop.

#15 of 73 OFFLINE   Chad Kuypers

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
By the way, you say no pre-orders will it be because they are ready to be shipped or do you just not want to get into a whole "preorder fiasco"?

Both. Posted Image I HATE pre-orders. The last two big pre-orders on subwoofers that I can remember seemed to cause a lot of anger due to delays and other problems. That is not how I do things and that is not how I wanted to start this company. The day the website is up, there will be products to buy. That is why you have found little-to-no information up until this point.

The Atlas drivers are finished and I am currently staring at a shop full of them, boxed and ready to go. The Avalanche subwoofers are about a week away from being available. They feature a unique suspension design, so there was a small wait on the new parts.

If I wanted to, I could start a pre-order right now on our new 6.5" XBL^2 mids and 4.5" XBL^2 full range driver designs amongst several other new drivers. That is what everybody else seems to do. However, I will simply offer them when they are an in-stock finished product. Hopefully this says something about what kind of company we are striving to be.

Quote:
The reason I ask is cause I am very skeptical that the price for these drivers will not be as low as mentioned. Will the Atlas cost more to make than the Avalanche series? Under $400 for a very long-throw eighteen inch woofer sounds waaayyy too good to be true.

The Avalanche 18 will in fact be $399. The Avalanche 15 will be $329. I hope this clears that up for you! Posted Image

Chad Kuypers
Ascendant Audio

#16 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 10:42 AM

Quote:
The Avalanche 18 will in fact be $399. The Avalanche 15 will be $329. I hope this clears that up for you!

Yes it does, Chad. I am happy to hear that the prices are what you said they would be. Very good way to start your business. Posted Image

Quote:
If I wanted to, I could start a pre-order right now on our new 6.5" XBL^2 mids and 4.5" XBL^2 full range driver designs amongst several other new drivers.
Posted Image Chad, did you make your own 6.5 and 4 inch designs? Or are you talking about the Adire Extremis and CSS full-rangers?

BTW- Ascendant Audio is a great name. Posted Image Posted Image Rolls off the tongue well.

#17 of 73 OFFLINE   Daniel Metcalf

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 10:48 AM

So could you give a brief comparison to the BP1804, beyond published specs?
Oh NOW I hear what your seeing.

#18 of 73 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 11:02 AM

Scott
He used the words (our new)...

I'm sure their his own designs on the smaller drivers, just like the woofs.....

I'd be very surprsed to see him sell Adire, CSS, etc drivers...No disrespect intended.!

Guess I should let Chad address the real answer to both questions.:b

Comparing the BP-1804 to his 18" creation, well some things are pretty obvious as far as that comparision goes, others, not sure. I'm sure he'll help fill that in at some point, either here or at the site.

I'm as curious as the rest of you all about everything he has come up with....

#19 of 73 OFFLINE   Chad Kuypers

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
Chad, did you make your own 6.5 and 4 inch designs? Or are you talking about the Adire Extremis and CSS full-rangers?

These are our own driver designs. We have no affiliation with Adire Audio other than the fact that we use their XBL^2 technology.

Quote:
BTW- Ascendant Audio is a great name. Rolls off the tongue well.

Thanks!

Chad Kuypers
Ascendant Audio

#20 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 20 2004 - 11:17 AM

Is there a set date for the launch of the website? Or is it still up in the air?

Back to Members' Theaters, HT Projects, Remotes, Seating, Accessories & Lighting

Forum Nav Content I Follow