What's new

SVS vs Klipsch (1 Viewer)

StephenB

Grip
Jumping into the fray --

I have had a Klipsch KSW-12 for about a year. It is the only subwoofer I've ever had, and the only one I've ever listened to closely. To my ears, it is a good complement to my main speakers (Klipsch KLF-10).

But it is universally described as a "boom box," whereas SVS subs are described as more musical and so forth.
I have not been able to find any data showing the real output or frequency response of the KSW-12, which is a shame. Does anyone have that kind of data handy?

The SVS website has some great data showing the frequency responses of their various products, and it looks impressive if it's accurate.

So here's the question: How does the SVS PB10, for example, compare to the Klipsch KSW-12?
Would it be worth (a relative term) the upgrade, and if so how?

Thanks for your objective responses.
Steve

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Having had a ksw12 and a PC+2039 in the HT together, it took minutes if not second to realize it was a battle of the vettes, though both vettes, the SvS was a corvette and the ksw was a chevette.

Now having the PB10isd next to the PC ultras I can honestly say th PB10 is one heck of a sub and at less than $500 delivered whew too tough to beat. The PB10 is not much bigger than the ksw but is much larger in performance.

IMO the PB10 is a bargain..

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
Ya, the ksw isn't even one of klipsch's better subs. The PB10 is much better.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Stephen: where are you located? You should audition an SVS in person somewhere near you. But I do certainly concur with the conclusions of the others here in terms of the quality of performance by SVS compared to most consumer subs, klipsch included.

GabeAJ

Auditioning
I'm a pretty big Klipsch fan (Heritage at least) and have purchased new La Scalas, Chorus IIs, Forte IIs, Heresies, kg3.2s and a few older subs (sw15, sw8, ksw200, ksw15). The two SVS PC-Ultras I just got could flatten all four of the subs listed above and probably have enough 20hz output to take on a second set. I know there are a lot of self-appointed SVS nutswingers on here, but they are REDICULOUSLY powerful.

StephenB

Grip
Interesting - that data are a little confusing, but I believe they're showing peak output at the corresponding frequency?
It looks like the KSW12 measures up with a lot of other mid-consumer subs, if that facet of performance is the most telling. But nowhere near the SVS stuff.

So, how is the subjective "boomy" description rendered in objective measurements? What type of FR curve results in the "boomy" sound?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Boom y usually is a hump in response aroun 50-60hz or so. Or a low-end rolloff that is quite common. A sub will hit very high SPL at higher bass frequencies, but notice down at 20hz or so the SPL is much much lower, this indicates a roll off and will lend itself to a "boomy" sound. Flat response that is held down to very low freq 20hz and below is hard to do, and few mid-fi consumer subs do it. Something like a klipsch sub isn't lacking in comparison to most other subs in it's range, rather, something like a DIY sub or a HSU or SVS will perform like a sub at much higher procepoints. They will extend very very deep, do it cleanly, and maintain this flat response with low distortion to very high SPL. When you hear non-boomy bass and get used to it, it's very hard to go back to it, but boomy bass is what most people are very used to.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I owned Klipsch KSW-12 and I can say for sure that the SVS PB10 can beat it and you will notice the difference. I had the Klipsch for about a two weeks and I was not impressed with it at all. The price of SVS PB10 can not be beaten when comparing the performance/price to the KSW12. SVS PB10 has almost twice the weight of KSW-12. PB10 has 300 watt amp and KSW12 has 105 watts. BTW, they both use bash amps so the rating are comparative. When you hear SVS PB10 you can feel the bass and trust me you will love it.......

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Attention Member,

You are entitled to your opinion on SVS subs, but if you want to come on here and bash them, at least give some facts as to why you don't prefer the SVS. If you thread crap again, you will be suspended!!!

Thank You,

Steven Simon
HTF Administration

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Girish - Huh? Your post confused me....

Stephen - I upgraded from a Klipsch KSW-200 to an SVS 20-39PCi myself. While I certainly wouldn't describe the Klipsch as overly boomy, especially when calibrated, the SVS was a noticeable improvement in perceived tautness of the bass, and of course that model does go quite a bit lower as well...

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
Girish-is the post in question still listed above? I don't see any postings favoring Klipsch (I'm guessing it/they was/were removed). I sincerely hope this is not an effort by the HTF administration to quash negative opinions of a sponsor as that would certainly call into question the legitimacy of this forum.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
That was exactly my point. To get any useful info you have to scan through a lot of SVS stuff. They are good subs but can't we leave it at that!!. Anyone mentions some other brand in a discussion and there come the SVS flurry of posts. Are we hometheaterforum or svsforum?

Warren B

Grip
good point Girish~
which raises another question: what other options are there beside SVS with comparable quality and price?

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
If any other option is considered a grounds for suspension and your posts being removed then I would say NONE.

Warren B

Grip
Girish~
Im sorry, your last post confused me.

Im not knocking SVS. Im eagerly awaiting my first. My question was a simple information request on available equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks