Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ht kits with ribbon tweeters?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric:F

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 01:29 AM

i'm looking for a speaker kit for the front 3 channels of a dedicated ht set up.
i want to have 6" midbass drivers and ribbon tweeters.
max i can spend is about $300 each ($900 total). i don't need exotic veneers or finishes.
does anyone know of a proven design to point me to?
thanks,
eric

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 02:37 AM

www.creativesound.ca has one now I believe that for a pair would be in around your budget.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 02:54 AM

Just so you know, ribbon tweeters have almost no vertical dispersion when compared to conventional dome tweeters. The 'sweet spot' is fundamentally the height of the ribbon element itself. That means it's basically necessary to have your head positioned so that your ears are in a direct line of sight with the radiating element of the ribbon, otherwise you won't hear the high frequencies.

Also the ribbon elements themselves are also extremely fragile. They can't be touched or exposed to wind. Be VERY careful with vacuum cleaners, fans, children or pets around them!

That being said, know that they are probably the best sounding tweeters available

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric:F

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 03:46 PM

thanks for the help.
any other suggestions?
best,
eric

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted December 18 2004 - 04:39 AM

Yeah, I've got one. Check this

Dennis Murphy's "plop in the box"

Under your budget at about $200 per box, and you don't even have to build the cabinets- design uses the spectacular (esp the black) parts express premade cabs. While the woofer is a little smaller than 6 inch, this will easily handle an 80 Hz or so HT crossover with a sub.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Griffin

Jim Griffin

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 02:02 PM

My Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon mini-monitor design comes close to your needs. Check the Atlanta DIY speaker meeting comments at:

http://maxhawk.bravepages.com/diyatl/

and a link to a kit at:

http://www.creatives...?model=J92R2KIT

Jim

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Danny Richie

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
Just so you know, ribbon tweeters have almost no vertical dispersion when compared to conventional dome tweeters.

This depends on the length of the ribbon. The taller (or longer) the ribbon the more its vertical dispersion will be limited to the length of it as frequency rises. As frequency ranges decreases (low frequency) then its dispersion increases. A good 6" long ribbon will have a vertical off axis response about like a 6' woofer.

Shorter ribbons can have a fairly good vertical dispersion. A 2" long ribbon will have a vertical dispersion similar to a 2" dome tweeter. If the ribbon were only 1" tall then its vertical dispersion would be similar to a 1" dome tweeter.

Quote:
Under your budget at about $200 per box, and you don't even have to build the cabinets- design uses the spectacular (esp the black) parts express premade cabs. While the woofer is a little smaller than 6 inch, this will easily handle an 80 Hz or so HT crossover with a sub.

Actually that woofer in an optimal ported enclosure will play down to a -3db of 55Hz.

Quote:
Also the ribbon elements themselves are also extremely fragile. They can't be touched or exposed to wind. Be VERY careful with vacuum cleaners, fans, children or pets around them!

I second this one. They are pretty fragile.

Forum Nav Content I Follow