What's new

PION. VSX-850S vs VSX-1014?? (1 Viewer)

Kirk_T

Agent
I am currently running a Pioneer vsx-850s that I purchased about 3 years ago. Due to space issues we are using 5.1 surround.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the vsx-1014??

What would i be gaining?

Would i be losing anything?? (i believe the 850S retailed at over $600)

Are there any benefits to running 7.1 receiver thru just a 5.1 speaker set up? Do I need a 7.1 receiver if i dont see the speaker set up changing?

Lastly, anyone know why i only get an analog signal when im listening to digital cable? I get digital signal while watching DVD movies, but it is always analog when using the TV/Cable?

Thanks in advance,

Kirk (1st post)

James Phung

Second Unit
Hi Kirk, Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the 850, but the 1014 when compared with the other regular pioneer avrs is in a class of its own (it's practically the same as the Pioneer ELITE 52tx). Not only is it powerful at 110x7 wpc but it also has MCACC auto speaker and auto eq set up that can do wonders to your speakers and bring the best sound out of them. You can connect various video sources through composite and svideo and have it all come out through component (or even svideo) so reduce the messy work of wires going to your tv setup.

The 1014 has DPLIIx that takes 2 channel and 5 channel sources and makes it 7.1. Though you won't be using 7.1, there's always the possibility in the future. DPLII (2 channel to 5.1) which you probably had in your old receiver is also on the 1014 but it has been updated since then and should perform even better (though I don't know what the difference is).

How do you have your TV/Cable hooked up to your receiver? Is it through digital coaxial or optical from your cable box?

Kirk_T

Agent
Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

Good question. I'm not sure. I had the shop where i purchased to the install. Ultimate electronics. I never felt it was connected properly. I'm going to have to journey back there. Should the coaxial cable from the cable box go directly to the receiver? or is that done thru s-video, or some other type of cable like optical...i think i have that back there also.

Thanks,

Kirk

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler

When you say coaxial, are you talking about a regular coax cable like the one that comes from your wall, or are you talking about an coax cable with an RCA connection?

For audio, you want to either connect the left/right audio out (red/white RCA) jacks or the digital out (optical or coax) from your cable box to your receiver. Use the digital out if it's available.

For video, you can either connect the antenna out (it might even say "To TV") to your TV, or you can let the receiver do the video switching by connecting the cable box to the receiver via composite (yellow RCA), S-video, or even component for high-definition. Then connect your reciever's "video monitor out" to your TV's "video in".

Your receiver's manual and the manual that came with your cable box should tell you how to hook all this stuff up.

--Nathan

James Phung

Second Unit
If your cable box is hooked up through the red/white rca jacks then that is analog. You can only get digital signal to your receiver for cable if you connect the digital out from your box to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks