Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Return of the King Extended Cut - Absolutely Recommended

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 of 95 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 08:32 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 95 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 08:32 AM

Part 2 coming soon...

#3 of 95 ONLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,465 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 08:47 AM

So far so good Dave!Posted Image BTW not sure what the 1964 Year reference is to at the top...
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#4 of 95 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 08:52 AM

Just one mistake at the beginning.......there is no Pan and Scan version of this. Not even on VHS. So its OAR all the wayPosted Image
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#5 of 95 OFFLINE   Elias A.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the very comprehensive and thoughtful review, David. Another excellent job. This is exactly the kind of information I want to read in a review. Detailed and well-articulated information, particularly about the audio and video quality, rather than the usual platitudes about "skin tones looking natural." Bravo. Sadly, I haven't been able to watch my copy of the ROTK:EE yet. I sat down to watch disc 1 of the supplements last night with my wife, but we were unable to get past the introduction because the picture kept breaking up and eventually froze altogether. I pulled the disc out of the player and checked for scratches or marks. There were no visible signs of damage to the disc surface, but I did notice some strange variations in the clarity of the plastic near the center of the disc, right next to the hole in the middle. I'm guessing that the two layers are separating, and making the disc unreadable. I'm going to return it to Circuit City tonight and get another copy. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with the next copy. Strangely, the same thing happened to me when I got the Two Towers Extended Edition, which I also bought at Circuit City. I returned TT:EE for a replacement, and the new set played just fine. Maybe there are a lot of defective discs out there. Anyone else having problems with playing their ROTK:EE?

#6 of 95 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 09:31 AM

thanks for the comments guys. Oh...that 1964 thing...that's what I get for copying and pasting from my Mary Poppins review... :b

There's really no P/S version of this coming out? WOW!! That's great news... Posted Image

#7 of 95 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 10:06 AM

How many more endings does this one add?

#8 of 95 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,911 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted December 16 2004 - 10:29 AM

This extended cut has the same number of endings as the theatrical cut.....ONE.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#9 of 95 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 10:54 AM

Guess you don't follow. I mean parts where the film should or could have ended. And ROTK had more than any other film I have ever seen. I was just wondering if this EE actually draws the endings out even more.

#10 of 95 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 10:58 AM

I guess you didn't get the joke! Posted Image

#11 of 95 OFFLINE   DavidBL

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 11:12 AM

According to everything I've read, there are no extentions to the film after Frodo wakes up in Minas Tirith. Except the fan club credits, of course.

#12 of 95 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,007 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 16 2004 - 11:29 AM

David is correct. No new scenes after he wakes up. And it still works beautifully. Great ending for a great eleven hour epic, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#13 of 95 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 11:50 AM

Another wonderful review from DaViD. Thanks for this and I look forward to your thoughts on the 2 extras discs.

#14 of 95 OFFLINE   Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 12:51 PM

I love it! Can't wait to watch this. Actually, I am going to put this one off until the 27th of December. I will be off that day and a buddy and I are going to watch all 3 Extended Versions back to back.

It will be a glorious and sad day at the same time due to the fact that this is really the end of it all.

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 of 95 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 01:05 PM

I was worried about the end credits. I was worried they wouldnt add a sketch of Christopher Lee or Brad Dourif to them. But gladly they did. Was so happy to see them added to the credits properPosted Image
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#16 of 95 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 01:05 PM

Great review so far David. I picked up my copy a couple of days ago and am itching to play this one. I don't have enough free time during the week to view the film all in one sitting.....but come the weekend....well, that's a different story altogether.Posted Image This one's gonna put my home theater to the test as my speakers will make full use of the 6.1 DTS ES. I can't wait!Posted Image
Recently watched- Game Of Thrones: Season 1, Vault Of Horror, Tales From The Crypt(1972), Paranormal Activity 3, The Purge: Anarchy, Speed, Oldboy(2013), Fright Night 3D(2011), Cosmopolis, Supernatural: Season 3, The Darkest Hour 3D, Scanners, Dracula Untold, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D, Fright Night(1985), Ip Man

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek: Season 2, Band Of Brothers, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2

"Sometimes the world no longer needs a hero. Sometimes what it needs... is a monster."

#17 of 95 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 01:32 PM

FYI: there is mention of the "multiple endings" criticism in the extras on disc 3 - a humorous anecdote from Elijah Wood involving a run-in he had with Jack Nicholson, and an explanation from Peter jackson. Nice review, David. I have to put the rest of this away and work on some reviews myself...

#18 of 95 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 02:58 PM

Is there going to be a $5 rebate for owners of the RotK TE? I noticed the street price on RotK EE was cheaper than previous EEs.

#19 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,782 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 16 2004 - 03:01 PM

David: just wanted to let you know that I posted a quick note over in HTF Feedback thanking you for your yeoman-like efforts over the past ten days.

Click HERE.

Awesome. Thank you.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 95 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 03:42 PM

There's a form inside the EE packaging.