What's new

2 King Kongs (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
The way things are looking (from a speculative point of view, SPV) we will finally get the original King Kong (S.E. 2-disk?)on DVD just before Peter Jackson's version hits the Theaters. This is all well and good and suits me fine. And I speculate that Peter's version will be out on home video for the Holidays 2005. Do you think they may put together both movies in one package for the holidays? Or will they be both movies in HD DVD, or both formats (yeah probably). Wow, can you imagine getting both movies in High Def in less than a year?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

No, the Jackson film is being released by Universal while the 1933 film belongs to Warner.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

That'd be a neat trick if the theatrical release date I've been reading is correct - Dec 05

That would put Jackson's film on DVD in summer 06. Just speculation. :) To make matters worse Warner could hold back the original to coincide with the DVD release of the remake.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm really hoping we finally get the original King Kong in 2005 to coincide with Peter Jackson's new version as long as the restoration/digital clean-up has been completed. Waiting until mid/late 2006 to coincide with the DVD release of Jackson's version, for marketing purposes only, would be further unneeded torture(I feel like we have been waiting forever for this release as it is :frowning: ). Does an all-time classic film like this really need some marketing tie-in strategy to move copies?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
paramount pictures owns the rights to the 1976 version.

JACOB

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming Warner will hedge their bets and make their DVD release coincide with the theatrical release of Universal's version: if Jackson's tanks, the DVD release of it won't generate as much excitement over the original on DVD. But there will be guaranteed interest for the theatrical release. Plus it has the added benefit of making the original available for comparison and Warner may not be entirely above hoping that it makes the remake look bad (think the 1976 version).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Since the new one is a Universal effort, wouldn't this be the ideal time for Universal to give us good widescreen releases of the two Japanese Kong films of the 60s that they still have US rights to, "King Kong vs. Godzilla" and "King Kong Escapes?"

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see KING KONG ESCAPES and KING KONG VS GODZILLA done by Universal.

And I really hope that Warner's SE of the 1933 KING KONG also contains SON OF KONG and maybe even MIGHTY JOE YOUNG.

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see a SE of Kong 76. I am aware that Paramount own the rights. But I have a feeling that they may be sneaky and relase a SE close to Jacksons theatrical relase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks