Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

2 King Kongs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 07:01 PM

The way things are looking (from a speculative point of view, SPV) we will finally get the original King Kong (S.E. 2-disk?)on DVD just before Peter Jackson's version hits the Theaters. This is all well and good and suits me fine. And I speculate that Peter's version will be out on home video for the Holidays 2005. Do you think they may put together both movies in one package for the holidays? Or will they be both movies in HD DVD, or both formats (yeah probably). Wow, can you imagine getting both movies in High Def in less than a year?
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#2 of 10 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,033 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 15 2004 - 10:33 PM

Do you think they may put together both movies in one package for the holidays?

No, the Jackson film is being released by Universal while the 1933 film belongs to Warner.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 11:01 PM

And I speculate that Peter's version will be out on home video for the Holidays 2005.

That'd be a neat trick if the theatrical release date I've been reading is correct - Dec 05

That would put Jackson's film on DVD in summer 06. Just speculation. Posted Image To make matters worse Warner could hold back the original to coincide with the DVD release of the remake.
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Tony Scello

Tony Scello

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 01:22 AM

I'm really hoping we finally get the original King Kong in 2005 to coincide with Peter Jackson's new version as long as the restoration/digital clean-up has been completed. Waiting until mid/late 2006 to coincide with the DVD release of Jackson's version, for marketing purposes only, would be further unneeded torture(I feel like we have been waiting forever for this release as it is Posted Image ). Does an all-time classic film like this really need some marketing tie-in strategy to move copies?
"Something beyond comprehension is happening to a little girl on this street, in this house. A man has been called for as a last resort to try and save her. That man is The Exorcist."

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 02:48 AM

paramount pictures owns the rights to the 1976 version.

JACOB

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 03:03 AM

I'm assuming Warner will hedge their bets and make their DVD release coincide with the theatrical release of Universal's version: if Jackson's tanks, the DVD release of it won't generate as much excitement over the original on DVD. But there will be guaranteed interest for the theatrical release. Plus it has the added benefit of making the original available for comparison and Warner may not be entirely above hoping that it makes the remake look bad (think the 1976 version).

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 03:58 AM

Since the new one is a Universal effort, wouldn't this be the ideal time for Universal to give us good widescreen releases of the two Japanese Kong films of the 60s that they still have US rights to, "King Kong vs. Godzilla" and "King Kong Escapes?"

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 08:45 AM

^^^Agreed.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 08:48 AM

I'd love to see KING KONG ESCAPES and KING KONG VS GODZILLA done by Universal.

And I really hope that Warner's SE of the 1933 KING KONG also contains SON OF KONG and maybe even MIGHTY JOE YOUNG.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 12:17 PM

I would love to see a SE of Kong 76. I am aware that Paramount own the rights. But I have a feeling that they may be sneaky and relase a SE close to Jacksons theatrical relase.
"Hell it's all my fault Mike, I never should have got out of the truck"
Travis Walton - Fire In The Sky

Click Here To Email Me